10237 - Tower of Orthanc

Got my order from AWD and man this box looks bad, oh well guess we'll build this one. But my question is how many bags is this supposed to have? I'm finding conflicting information.

Mine is seal code 50R3

Bags are:

Unnumbered bird

Bueller,Bueller???

Take a breath here.  I said there will be a lot of cryptic messages over the next 6 months.  This set might have some life left in it, but I would strongly suggest if you don't have one, now is the time to start collecting them.  Once the movies are over, you know all of these LOTR sets will be slowly vanishing.  

Also, there might be a certain amount of inventory that was planned to last until June, but once people start sniffing retirement, it will never last.  

Tick, Tock, Goes the Clock.

No one knows when and if it will stop.

Times passes by but do things do not change...

Got some in from LEGO Shop at Home and date codes stayed the same.

36R4 and 50R4

Received my first ever Amazon shipment without a shipping box. Years of ordering, including plenty of LEGO, and this is a first. UPS label slapped direclty onto an Orthanc as if Wal-Mart sent it. Heads up, hope this doesn't become a norm from Amazon. Box looks as bad as you would expect and busted open. This was a direct Amazon as seller order -- no FBA labels adhered, either.

Code is 50R4 taped over 36R4 as has been the norm lately.

Received my first ever Amazon shipment without a shipping box. Years of ordering, including plenty of LEGO, and this is a first. UPS label slapped direclty onto an Orthanc as if Wal-Mart sent it. Heads up, hope this doesn't become a norm from Amazon. Box looks as bad as you would expect and busted open. This was a direct Amazon as seller order -- no FBA labels adhered, either.

Oh no, I hope this isn't the new norm. I would have rather them raise the free shipping amount to 50 or 75 before just doing away with boxes.

Ouch.  I really hope this is some crazy exception.

If you haven't already, please "Leave package/delivery feedback"

Buy ToO from shop at home now or wait for double vip points next month?

For me is a question - buy ToO next month with 2x points or wait to October, when I can get also a Xmas bonus set worth EUR 10-15. To buy ToO now just for normal VIP points is a huge over-pricing for me, because of big price of ToO - standard price is EUR 200, with normal VIP points EUR 190, with 2xVIP points EUR 180, with 2xVIP points + bonus set the final price would be EUR 167 - really big differences - and possible losses - if I buy 10 pieces. I know it is a risk to wait a lot, but I can also lost a lot of money if I buy this set too early. I will buy some pieces during 2xVIP points period in March and rest in October.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a couple in my local Lego store, seal codes are 50R4.  Is that most recent codes seen at this time? 

As far as I know there are no 2015 seal codes. Perhaps that 50R4 run was designed to be large enough to last for awhile. It appears it also had to fix a previous run error. It will be interesting to see if it moves to OOS during the double VIP in March.

• Like 1

I already own 15 (my max) but I am tempted to buy one on Target.com just to see if they have new seal codes... if not, that damn R4 50 must have been a massive production run.

Given that 50r4 was both a fix And a normal run it likely was larger than normal. Also if their production rights ran out at the end of 2014 they May have run extra.

Will have to wait and see but I would not be surprised to not see a 2015 run. Of course 50r4 may have been large enough to last most of the year.

I am growing more and more comfortable with only have 1 ToO, purchased at 20% off, no less. I'm not convinced that the ratio of real buyers to investors is favorable on this one. I don't have anything to back that up other than a gut feeling based on the lukewarm performance of LotR thus far.

I am with you on that. I have one. I got it for 45% off. I feel great about that one. I am really debating getting another or not. Maybe I will use some VIP points on one.

I am with you on that. I have one. I got it for 45% off. I feel great about that one. I am really debating getting another or not. Maybe I will use some VIP points on one.

Prudence in these words.  Hobbit/LOTR lines 100% failed to find audience. Lots of sets produced & discounted.  Not good things, usually.

Future fans, collectors will have to seek out these sets in order for TOO et al to perform well.

I am buying on a hunch, nothing more.  This line looks just a little too kicked around.  

• Like 1

Prudence in these words.  Hobbit/LOTR lines 100% failed to find audience. Lots of sets produced & discounted.  Not good things, usually.

Future fans, collectors will have to seek out these sets in order for TOO et al to perform well.

I am buying on a hunch, nothing more.  This line looks just a little too kicked around.

whole

Whole lot of everything wrong with a statement like this. Newbie investors should ignore statements of this nature. Folks should ignore orthanc to their own peril i saw 20 POTC blackpearls in many walmarts discounted. Look how that turned out!
  • Like 1

Whole lot of everything wrong with a statement like this. Newbie investors should ignore statements of this nature. Folks should ignore orthanc to their own peril i saw 20 POTC blackpearls in many walmarts discounted. Look how that turned out!

I'm glad I took a chance and bought one. I'm not a huge LOTR fan, but this set looks cool and I can see why a set this big will go for some good $$$.

• Like 1