• Scorpion
    • Vulture
    • Sabre-Tooth
    • Tiger
    • Mammoth
    • Phoenix
    • Panther

• 2 weeks later...

I've avoided Chima like the plague...mostly because if it fails as an investment I'd never want to open and build the sets myself.  For what it's worth, the sets look nicely designed, but I just can't get over the animal-vehicles and silly looking mini figures.  Good luck to you investors!

• Like 1

My grandson was visiting over the weekend and he saw some of the Chima sets in my investment pile and he excitedly asked "Do you have any of the new scorpion sets?"  I don't actually follow the series and have no idea, I only had the handful of older sets because I got them at 50-75% off MSRP -- and I had actually been thinking of giving them to him for his birthday in a couple of weeks.  

I replied "No, I just have some of the first sets.  Do you not like those ones?"  He got all bummed and replied with something along the lines of "ya, I don't like those ones all that much they didn't have very many tribes but now they have scorpions, spiders, bats rhinos!!!"  He then went on to excitedly tell me all about the cool new ones and their quest for Chi or some such.  

Not sure if this will be typical with other kids, but he just doesn't seem to have much interest in the first group of sets and he only owns one of them -- but he's really excited about the new ones.  He's also still excited about ninjago sets including a lot of the older ones that he doesn't have yet.

He got all bummed and replied with something along the lines of "ya, I don't like those ones all that much they didn't have very many tribes but now they have scorpions, spiders, bats rhinos!!!"  He then went on to excitedly tell me all about the cool new ones and their quest for Chi or some such.  

Not sure if this will be typical with other kids, but he just doesn't seem to have much interest in the first group of sets and he only owns one of them..

Yeah, this is exactly what these sets are about - they are popular during 1 season, when are extremly supported by huge campaigns, videos, etc. 1 year later they are mostly forgotten, because TLG is advertising another stuff - new sets with new characters, or completely new themes. And since these sets are not popular by collectors, i dont believe it is good investement target, even if you buy it with discount.

Not much mention of

70013-1: Equila's Ultra Striker (Target exclusive)

Can still be found decently discounted by resellers on Amazon.

While I doubt this will be the next Zombies it does have a fairly short run just under a year.

Lego is already retiring and is sold out.

Some nice color selection for wedge plates...decent number of harder to find pieces.

30 pieces (to include individual minifig pieces) are in 10 sets or less.

Good Metric (not sure).  Open for opinions

Just my two cents...loading up with plans to acquire about 30 copies.

Average price of 24 or less.   Bought about 1/2 of my stock from Target when they had BOGO 40% when the set was marked down to 27.99.

I read one of the articles here on Brickpicker about the Chima line and I agree this could fetch 60-80 as early as this coming Christmas.  "Could"

Depends on the Chima collectors trying to fill in their sets.

DYODD  (do your own due diligence)

I might be able to Rival Ed:

5 Equilas Striker

4 Chi Raider

2 Lavals Fighter thing

6 Eris Interceptor

2 Chi Temple

2 Razar Fighter

4 Eagles Castle

At least 1-2 of Every Speedorz set

2 Croc Swamp

3 Worriz Layer

3 Craggers Ship

3 Gorzans Gorilla Striker

3 Waks Pack Tracker

2 Lennox Lion Attack

1 Crawleys Claw Ripper

2 Ultimate Speedorz Tournament

1 Eeglors Twin Bike

And there are a few more. I have a stack of stuff I grabbed from the Lego store that all needs to be filed away in my inventory/brickfolio. But as you can see, a good amount of Chima.

This is not including the 30-40 chima sets I have parted out (although I may part out more of these).

That's only a "drop in the bucket" compared to what Ed has.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Or should I preface it with "Is there a good Chima set to invest in?"

Either way looking for opinions on the exclusives and larger sets.

70010 Lion Chi Temple, not exclusive but the largest set in the series.  I enjoy the colors, clear elements and I think it will prove to be a money maker for those getting in at the $80 price point and below.

70011 Eagles' Castle (Toysrus Exclusive) Worries me...never ending supply at TRU.

70012 Razors Chi Raider (Walmart Exclusive) Worries me...most things at walmart are done in mass quatity

70013 Equilas' Ultra Striker (Target Exclusive) slightly worried even Amazon has it discounted in their secondary market.

But it is already out of production at TLG.

70014 Croc Swamp (TRU Exclusive) Could be a hidden gem.  Good size set which is also exclusive.  May depend on discounts and length of production.

I am quietly loading up on 70013, 11 month run, (I have had great luck with target exclusives).

Today's 50% at Target is golden.  My average price is down to ~22.5 each.

I anticipate an easy price target of $50-60.00 EOL once the retail inventory dries up.

In that range it gives back 92-130% profit after ebay/paypal fees.  Less any underpayment of shipping.

Timeline for returns.  In the dicussed price range by this Christmas, 2014.  More if you are patient enough to wait for X-Mas 2015. Top end estimate of $70-90.00.  Just an estimate.  Just my opinion.  Invest according to your own SOP.

Reviewing Brickset collection numbers might give a small insight that this set might have been overlooked or there is no interest in it at all.

Comparing it to The Zombies is unfair but there was not much of a following in that set either.

Opinions???

Hummm I would say Cragger's command ship 70006, or the entire collection of legend beasts (70123, 70124, etc.).

Not sure if chima will fail or not. It really depends on TLG, if they want to keep this line or throw it and replace it. It seems they are ok to go for some more years, so until Chima theme is here, the investment is a possibilty (that I will not follow).

I have read both blogs and the other forum.  Just trying to refresh the topic and get more community input on the specific sets mentioned.

I don't have a ton of Chima, but enough for me. 

Then again I am behind on my inventory duties.  Still haven't entered my Meijer purchases.

I am buying all my crammed space will allow of 70013.  This is my next sleeper.  I rarely pass up 50% off exclusive sets.

I want more of the Croc Swamp but it is difficult to find at better prices.

It is often excluded when TRU has discounts.

I am often wrong.   Not all will agree with my assessments.

All I know is that the Chima Speedor is my best seller set (quantity wise).  

It could well be that the bigger Chima sets will become the big winners after EOL. Most investors ignore the theme. So after EOL ebay will not be flooded. I might start to investigate this theme for investment potential. For investing in this theme there is one rule: buy the biggies as cheap as possible (-50% RRP). But that would be a good rule for any theme you invest in (long-term).