Minifigures - general discussion

TheOrcKing

I can understand some of the company's standing with the Minifigures line or at least believe I do. In the beginning LEGO did not realize how quickly the line would gain traction in popularity practically exploding (in the US mainly). Even so the second series continued with the $2 price tag after increasing the amount produced. Aside from the growing desire by the masses, I think one of the probable reasons why the third series was the first to see a dollar hike would be how the public had found a way around the blind bag which for series 1 & 2 were unique barcodes for each character making the mystery less mysterious.

Moving on to series 3 which introduced the fabled 'bump codes', well we know people eventually figured that method out therefore LEGO mixed it up again (around series 8 maybe) by what I can only figure as having a unique series of bump codes per each production run. (I have nothing factual other than personal experience and what others have said to form that last sentence so let's just chuck it to plausible conspiracy.)

Anyway The Simpsons Minifigures (or rather the first series of) had the last current raise in price that could understandably make sense seeing how LEGO needed to mold every single character's head plus they also came up with molded sleeves and shorts. A new technique I think really improved the standard minifigure and has paved way to a whole new level for the little guy. Also there is the topic of licensing too although from what I remember it was Fox who went to LEGO so that was negligible. Keeping the price hike afterwards comes across as a "seems we can get away with it so why go back to $3?" sort of logic.

True I do not have a real clue as to all the costs the company has to consider and contend with on a regular basis. However I can't quite see any legitimate reason to go so high in such a relatively short timeframe.

• Each one has been and continues to be made in China. The costs couldn't get much lower for the company.
  • Almost all new parts made for the line get used elsewhere in other themes. Only a couple are too unique for any other use (Medusa for example).
  • The printed designs may be unique but so are a number of other minifigures in regular sets (some have even stayed exclusive to that set).
Those are a few reason off the top of my head that I feel would make anyone think the price at this point is simply because they can. There could be other factors such as the price was also meant to deter collectors who intentionally grab certain ones to sell or even to somewhat counter the effect of how people have found ways to beat their blind system. All this is mere speculation almost to the point of conspiracy.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I would like add something to the general conversation. We all know how LEGO likes to make pairs or a couple (a male & female companion like Cowboy and Cowgirl for a quick example). Despite that I did not expect them to make a Lady Cyclops to be honest but even so I am glad they did. Okay we could go into another whole discussion about her in that there never was any female cyclopes in the history of mythology but at the end of the day neither character exists in real life so who cares really but I digress.

Well it had me thinking that perhaps some of the costumed characters from former series' could make a return as the opposite sex featuring a different color scheme. First off as an example is Chicken Suit Guy. They could release a Chicken Suit Girl using the same unique helmet and arm molds but color them as yellow and use orange as a secondary tone (like a Peep). Another could be Bunny Suit Girl in a nice blue and pink; something that still says Easter but new. Bumblebee Girl's headgear with an alternate set of hues could look like an ant or wasp and lead to some bug guy in a suit.

A random last idea could be a comeback of Gorilla Suit Guy with a different 'fur' like dark orange for an orangutan appearance or something. It could happen eventually. For all we know another pirate, robot, knight, astronaut, skier, or whatever, character will happen down the road.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Since the "Monsters" line from Series 14 seems like it will be extremely popular, and since the Simpsons is winding down, making me wonder what's next for that line.  What do you think the odds are that the Lego Group might combine the best of both worlds for next year's third wave of minifigures by doing a "Treehouse of Horror" line. 

It is rumored the next line is a line about Disney.  That would leave the summer wave open for a series 15.. then back to the fall wave.  I think the "perfect storm" could line up, if they plan a treehouse of horror wave.  Not saying it will happen, but I think the possibility is there.

I can already see Donut Head Homer, Marge as a witch, Dracula Burns, Zombie George Washington, Kang!  Ohh boy. 

• Like 1

Since the "Monsters" line from Series 14 seems like it will be extremely popular, and since the Simpsons is winding down, making me wonder what's next for that line.  What do you think the odds are that the Lego Group might combine the best of both worlds for next year's third wave of minifigures by doing a "Treehouse of Horror" line. 

It is rumored the next line is a line about Disney.  That would leave the summer wave open for a series 15.. then back to the fall wave.  I think the "perfect storm" could line up, if they plan a treehouse of horror wave.  Not saying it will happen, but I think the possibility is there.

I can already see Donut Head Homer, Marge as a witch, Dracula Burns, Zombie George Washington, Kang!  Ohh boy. 

There will never be another Simpsons related minifigure series.  Two of them was three too many.

• Like 1

There will never be another Simpsons related minifigure series.  Two of them was three too many.

Seemed to be popular.  They seemed to have sold out in stores as fast as they got them in, at least in my area it seemed to be the case.  I think they'll definitely have another round, at least.

Seemed to be popular.  They seemed to have sold out in stores as fast as they got them in, at least in my area it seemed to be the case.  I think they'll definitely have another round, at least.

I could see a third round, and I think Treehouse of Horror minifigs would be brilliant - released in a year from now in time for Halloween 2016.

There will never be another Simpsons related minifigure series.

We don't know that for certain. Even with the dismay of some people including a select number of individuals actually willing to boycott LEGO entirely just for The Simpsons figures, there have been two well designed large exclusives with a rumor for a possible third being The Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop which if true could also mean a third series of minifigures to go with it. Although I am not a big fan of the TV series, I do like the prints of the figures and can see much potential in MOCs outside of simply Simpsons.

We don't know that for certain. Even with the dismay of some people including a select number of individuals actually willing to boycott LEGO entirely just for The Simpsons figures, there have been two well designed large exclusives with a rumor for a possible third being The Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop which if true could also mean a third series of minifigures to go with it. Although I am not a big fan of the TV series, I do like the prints of the figures and can see much potential in MOCs outside of simply Simpsons.

am I way off base here or were the Simpsons series produced at a fraction of the volume of the "normal" series (12,13,14)? I just didn't see them out and about very much, and it CAN'T have been their wild popularity.

Wait - can it?

Edited by mfortunek

am I way off base here or were the Simpsons series produced at a fraction of the volume of the "normal" series (12,13,14)? I just didn't seem them out and about very much, and it CAN'T have been their wild popularity.

Wait - can it?

There could have been less made altogether or more were sent to areas where they would have sold better. Who knows honestly. In my area Walmart had a small end cap with possibly a couple boxes worth over some months while Target had maybe one display box for less than a month and that's it. In either case it didn't take long for them to sell out it would seem but considering I do not shop every day I would have no idea how many times they restocked in the meantime.

• Like 1

I mentioned this about a week or so ago but I'll mention it again: The Simpsons minifigures don't seem to get a lot of love, however someone must be buying them as they are (still) the #3 top seller on LEGO Shop at Home. So, someone's buying them...

Some more perspective:

10240 (Red Five) is #7

Raptor Rampage is #8

BBT is #9

Mystery Machine is #10

75919 is # 11

PS is #12

To recap, they are selling more than these currently... Buy them, don't buy them, I don't care but to say they're not popular is simply not true. Will they turn a profit? Who knows...

Edited by dcdfan

Simpsons series 1 was everywhere and took a while to disappear from stores. I didn't touch series 2.

This was my observation too... Series 2 is still available in large quantities at TRUs (and Indigo) near me but then so is series 12 and 13. They just have soooo much with no sales that it takes forever to sell out.

I bought some series 1 and no series 2.

These are collecting dust on the shelves.

Alongside Series 12 and 13 minifgures in some stores.  Does that mean they weren't popular?  

I mentioned this about a week or so ago but I'll mention it again: The Simpsons minifigures don't seem to get a lot of love, however someone must be buying them as they are (still) the #3 top seller on LEGO Shop at Home. So, someone's buying them...

Some more perspective:

10240 (Red Five) is #7

Raptor Rampage is #8

BBT is #9

Mystery Machine is #10

75919 is # 11

PS is #12

To recap, they are selling more than these currently... Buy them, don't buy them, I don't care but to say they're not popular is simply not true. Will they turn a profit? Who knows...

Wait, there's a shred of actual data to support claim of their popularity?  

I'm in dcdfan's camp - I don't give two flips (or even one flip for that matter) if people buy these or not...just don't let bias cloud your judgment.

• Like 2

Went to the Lego Store yesterday and had a conversation about minifigs with an employee that had been there a while.  She said the movie series minifigs were the hottest ones they have had.  She said they were almost always gone in a day or so after being put out.  She wasn't sure if it was because people stopped by the store after watching the movie in the mall and wanted one of the characters, but she said they could never keep these in stock longer than a couple of days.  Take it for what it's worth;  just thought I'd pass the info on.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that the Chicken Suit Guy is reissued as an Easter promo I'm really wondering if LEGO tries to make some of the rare and popular (=expensive) minifigures from the CMF series more available. Also, Bumblebee Girl and Hotdog Suit Guy were recently rereleased as keychains and the hotdog suit from Hotdog Suit Guy will be reused in a Friends set. So are costume minifigures from the CMF series keepers for the longterm as an investment?

Just some food for thought.

• Like 3

Now that the Chicken Suit Guy is reissued as an Easter promo I'm really wondering if LEGO tries to make some of the rare and popular (=expensive) minifigures from the CMF series more available. Also, Bumblebee Girl and Hotdog Suit Guy were recently rereleased as keychains and the hotdog suit from Hotdog Suit Guy will be reused in a Friends set. So are costume minifigures from the CMF series keepers for the longterm as an investment?

I'm late to CMF collecting but news like this will prevent me from paying a premium on older individual figs and fig sets. As much as I like the different CMF styles I can't justify the upcharge to have a collectible that could just get rehashed. With full build sets I understand the need for remakes but I had hoped this was sacred ground.

Lego makes great CMF that people enjoy, some of which are wildly successful like the costume figs. I suppose they are torn between providing something cool for collectors while still trying to offer something to get the average buyer interested. I understand the position they're in, but I won't be so aggressive on collecting CMF anymore.

Look to the figs with unusual / unique components, I expect the development costs are high and Lego are keen to capitalise on the initial investment, particularly if the secondary market price is high.  Unlikely to see these as simply a fig again, or as an identical form, but hotdog guy suit in the friends set and the Chicken Guy as a promo seem like a win/win for Lego, so it’s logical for them to follow up on others.    

On 2/21/2016 at 0:24 AM, Brian Briggs said:

Also, the LEGO calendar is filled with Collectable Minifigures that are no longer available. When I flip through it I think, "Ooo, I want that!" It feels weird that they are actively marketing figs that are not currently offered. How many kids have bugged their parents for a Minifigure they saw in the calendar, sending them on a wild goose chase?