Australian General LEGO Update

BrickPick3r

Well its been a hectic last couple of days, much to my wife's dismay I have added the following sets to the collection:

3x TB

5x Ghostbusters

2x Santa Workshops

1x Star Wars Red Five thing.

Nice haul! Ive been seeing the first three around Mr Toys Toyworld. Did you pay retail on these bad boys? I'd be keen to know where u got the 10240 from, I'm keen to get one or two.

Hi guys, need an advice from the all seniors here, got 5 boxes of mixels series 1 stashed, do you think it"s a good time to unload those now? By the way, what is TB ? 

Depends on your selling medium, I sold all my bundles of series 1 late last year and all of them went to overseas buyers (you name it, I posted them there). Since they have rereleased a yellow variant, I'm not sure how that will play into the market. Personally I would throw a couple of complete sets up, and a couple of complete sets by colour and react accordingly.

Depends on your selling medium, I sold all my bundles of series 1 late last year and all of them went to overseas buyers (you name it, I posted them there). Since they have rereleased a yellow variant, I'm not sure how that will play into the market. Personally I would throw a couple of complete sets up, and a couple of complete sets by colour and react accordingly.

i would agree. its a good time to sell now as supply seems to have dwindled. there are only 2 sets listed on Ebay AU by domestic sellers - i would price slightly above them (eg 180-200 + shipping) and wait a few weeks to see what happens

Nice haul! Ive been seeing the first three around Mr Toys Toyworld. Did you pay retail on these bad boys? I'd be keen to know where u got the 10240 from, I'm keen to get one or two.

All from TW and all RRP unfortunately, I forgo the VIP points, however I have put them on lay-by (can pick up as late as Xmas eve) so my LEGO slush fund won't take a massive hit at once.  I nabbed the GB outright, so I'm starting to build a row of them on the shelf.

As you can see by my description of 10240, I'm not a massive SW nut :) but as Ed and the other overlords around here say, diversification is the key, so I'll grab another today.

Edited by Lucifersfury
  • Like 1

All from TW and all RRP unfortunately, I forgo the VIP points, however I have put them on lay-by (can pick up as late as Xmas eve) so my LEGO slush fund won't take a massive hit at once.  I nabbed the GB outright, so I'm starting to build a row of them on the shelf.

As you can see by my description of 10240, I'm not a massive SW nut :) but as Ed and the other overlords around here say, diversification is the key, so I'll grab another today.

Yea, I saw the description :). I got a good feeling about this one, esp with the new film coming up. The new film has a new, redesigned X-wing, so I doubt this one will be remade. UCS FTW!

As far as SW and WMV go, I noticed that WMV is first of all an older set (2013 vs 2014 for SW), so it'll probably retire sooner. Furthermore, It's on sale at 119.99 (retail is 149) so it may be a better investment proposition. I'm considering laybying a couple, but I wanna divert funds to a couple X wing 1st I think, and maybe an extra PS or two. I'll most probably utilise SAH for that, unless I can get some locally for below retail.

in terms of SW and WMV - it comes down to classic supply v demand.

WMV historically has not been in high demand, which is why Toyworld still has stock and its on sale.

SW wasnt stocked in retail till about a month ago, and has been in high demand (selling as high as 180-200+ over Xmas). I would assume that unless Toyworld gets a massive load of stock that it will sell out before Xmas and again sell for well above RRP.

WMV will eventually get to 200+ but it may take a while as it will be competing with SW as well as the new Winter set coming out later this year. One plus for WMV is the Carousel which pairs well with the the Fairground themed sets (although a standalone Carousel may be released in coming years if the theme takes off).

To summarize, short-term there is money to be made with WVM if you get it on discount, but long-term SW will beat it hands-down especially since it has a lower RRP and is much more popular seller on LEGO Shop at Home.

• Like 2

Yea, I saw the description :). I got a good feeling about this one, esp with the new film coming up. The new film has a new, redesigned X-wing, so I doubt this one will be remade. UCS FTW!

As far as SW and WMV go, I noticed that WMV is first of all an older set (2013 vs 2014 for SW), so it'll probably retire sooner. Furthermore, It's on sale at 119.99 (retail is 149) so it may be a better investment proposition. I'm considering laybying a couple, but I wanna divert funds to a couple X wing 1st I think, and maybe an extra PS or two. I'll most probably utilise SAH for that, unless I can get some locally for below retail.

I'm sending the wife in (who kindly suggested it) to TW either tomorrow or Friday to lay-by two more 10240s, as I'm starting to get weird looks from the staff from buying too many big exclusives - their more on the ball than LEGO Shop at Home!

Good idea Luc. I hate paying retail,  but I have doubts that the Xwing will stick around much longer. As it stands, I have zero. I'll layby two today, but no more. That way if Myer/big W get them later in the year at a discount I won't be spewing,  and if it goes eol at least I'll have two of them. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, at this stage in its life cycle paying RRP might be the only option :(

I sent Danielle out shopping to buy herself some clothes and said while your out........

Even at RRP It's a great set and an awesome potential investment. Safe as houses ;)

The non-UCS sets aren't always good investments though, but some do better than others. All the iconic vehicles from the original trilogy have done better than other sets. Even though they are re-made often, Super and regular Star Destroyers, X wings, Sandcrawlers, Snowspeeders, Imperial AT-AT Walkers and Millennium Falcons can do well after EOL if bought at a discount. Ones like the Ghost, Anakin's Pod Racer and Homing Spider droids will never do well.

Investing it non-UCS SW can be a minefield and IMHO you have to pretty well versed with all movies as well as all the characters and ships to really know what is likely to be a winner or a dud, and a lot of them are duds.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and laybyed two of 10240. Nice compact box I noticed, so good for storage (unlike other UCS and modulars made before PR).

Day off work today, hence I have the time for a long post. I by chance walked into my local DJs today and they had a whole new box of Simpsons series one. I smooshed all of them, but realised that a couple of Chief Wiggums and Burns were already taken. I did manage to get one Wiggum and one Burns, 2x Milhouse and 3x Ralphy.  Those four are the only ones that you can really make decent profits off ATM. Burns and Wiggum you can actually a get profit of 150% (I paid $4 per fig).

Peanuts really, but it helps build ebay rep.

Even at RRP It's a great set and an awesome potential investment. Safe as houses ;)

The non-UCS sets aren't always good investments though, but some do better than others. All the iconic vehicles from the original trilogy have done better than other sets. Even though they are re-made often, Super and regular Star Destroyers, X wings, Sandcrawlers, Snowspeeders, Imperial AT-AT Walkers and Millennium Falcons can do well after EOL if bought at a discount. Ones like the Ghost, Anakin's Pod Racer and Homing Spider droids will never do well.

Investing it non-UCS SW can be a minefield and IMHO you have to pretty well versed with all movies as well as all the characters and ships to really know what is likely to be a winner or a dud, and a lot of them are duds.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and laybyed two of 10240. Nice compact box I noticed, so good for storage (unlike other UCS and modulars made before PR).

Day off work today, hence I have the time for a long post. I by chance walked into my local DJs today and they had a whole new box of Simpsons series one. I smooshed all of them, but realised that a couple of Chief Wiggums and Burns were already taken. I did manage to get one Wiggum and one Burns, 2x Milhouse and 3x Ralphy.  Those four are the only ones that you can really make decent profits off ATM. Burns and Wiggum you can actually a get profit of 150% (I paid $4 per fig).

I know that it doesn't have the UCS badge, but I thought that this set would be classed as an "unofficial" UCS?

Condone this, and can't stress this enough for new resellers. I think thats where a lot of the newbies go wrong with listing big exclusives first with no or little rep. Part out or sell minifigures till you built a solid rep and work your way up.

• Like 2

I know that it doesn't have the UCS badge, but I thought that this set would be classed as an "unofficial" UCS?

That's interesting, I always assumed it to be UCS. I mean it's got the display thingy-me-bob with the plaque. It doesn't have as many pieces as some other UCSs, but it is 16+ like all the other ones.

It's a great set, but I doubt I'll build one. Don't get me wrong, LEGO UCS are great, but I'd much more prefer a normal detailed scale model of an X wing, ISD etc.. to a LEGO one. There's this awesome resin model of an Imperial Star destroyer you can get (for hundreds of $$) with full lighting which looks phenomenal. As a teen I used to build and paint scale models as well as Warhammer miniatures. I was actually quite good at it but now I just don't have the time or patience to build and paint them. It takes hours upon hours. Lego is much less challenging, not to mention frustrating lol.

As a still relatively new out-of-dark years AFOL, regarding building I've found classic city/town style sets like some modern Creator buildings, Modulars and some City transport sets are what really float my boat these days. As a kid I was enamoured with Castle, Space and then Pirates but I guess my tastes have changed. Some of the new Pirates sets do look good. BTW, I know you said you were investing in the Brick Bounty. From tomorrow they are $99 at Big W. I'd say it'll be a great one to stock up on for Xmas.

Regarding ebay, I've found that the minifigs sell well, but I've also advertised smallish sets with little or no interest from buyers. I also advertised the same smaller sets like the Grand Prix Truck on FB and they sold like hotcakes (but minus having to pay 10% to feebay). Now that you can link paypal to Gumtree, it also helps. I passed on the paypal fees (2.5% +30c or something like that) onto buyers and they always seem keen to pay it. (It gives them protection and piece of mind). But of course if you are selling internationally, ebay is the way to go. I have not yet taken that step.

That's interesting, I always assumed it to be UCS. I mean it's got the display thingy-me-bob with the plaque. It doesn't have as many pieces as some other UCSs, but it is 16+ like all the other ones.

It's a great set, but I doubt I'll build one. Don't get me wrong, LEGO UCS are great, but I'd much more prefer a normal detailed scale model of an X wing, ISD etc.. to a LEGO one. There's this awesome resin model of an Imperial Star destroyer you can get (for hundreds of $$) with full lighting which looks phenomenal. As a teen I used to build and paint scale models as well as Warhammer miniatures. I was actually quite good at it but now I just don't have the time or patience to build and paint them. It takes hours upon hours. Lego is much less challenging, not to mention frustrating lol.

As a still relatively new out-of-dark years AFOL, regarding building I've found classic city/town style sets like some modern Creator buildings, Modulars and some City transport sets are what really float my boat these days. As a kid I was enamoured with Castle, Space and then Pirates but I guess my tastes have changed. Some of the new Pirates sets do look good. BTW, I know you said you were investing in the Brick Bounty. From tomorrow they are $99 at Big W. I'd say it'll be a great one to stock up on for Xmas.

Regarding ebay, I've found that the minifigs sell well, but I've also advertised smallish sets with little or no interest from buyers. I also advertised the same smaller sets like the Grand Prix Truck on FB and they sold like hotcakes (but minus having to pay 10% to feebay). Now that you can link paypal to Gumtree, it also helps. I passed on the paypal fees (2.5% +30c or something like that) onto buyers and they always seem keen to pay it. (It gives them protection and piece of mind). But of course if you are selling internationally, ebay is the way to go. I have not yet taken that step.

I've seen the BB for $99, still thinking about picking up some more as I'm running out of room fast and Costco aren't stocking my storage shelves any more :(

I've listed some smaller items on gumtree but haven't had any interest, however I've recently signed up to a couple of the FB Lego Buy/Swap/Sell pages on advice from a customer that I have sold a few of the bigger sets to. I've only sold a few poly-bags on there and they went very quick so thats another avenue that I might look into.

From a guess, I dare say that 10 - 20% of my sales originate from OS, and I have received follow up emails from all saying they are happy and would buy again, so don't discount the OS market, but from reading on here there, it is also fraught with dangers.

Last year I was a huge investor in the Friends line (my daughter was infatuated with the line) and since she has moved on I feel like the rest of the customer base has as well, which would probably explain the several competing and completely different themes that encompasses Friends now. Overall, Friends was around 50 - 70% of my sales now I'd be lucky to have a friends sale a month.

Parting out minifigures from the sets is also a good way, which I have had good results in, the Hulk Buster was the best :)

I have found the FB pages to be a decent way to sell. The biggest one that I have joined (I'm guessing that you guys are in it as well) is quite active and if you have a decent item it will sell quickly. People seem quite happy to cover Paypal fees or pay friends/family as well which makes it more appealing than ebay.

Gumtree success might depend on where you live as most users are looking for local pick up. 

I have found the FB pages to be a decent way to sell. The biggest one that I have joined (I'm guessing that you guys are in it as well) is quite active and if you have a decent item it will sell quickly. People seem quite happy to cover Paypal fees or pay friends/family as well which makes it more appealing than ebay.

Gumtree success might depend on where you live as most users are looking for local pick up. 

I think that it is a better way due to the members actually wanting to source the set and know what the current prices are.