Selling through Amazon FBA

appleseed1967

• 1 month later...

Important notice regarding price gouging 

Mar 5, 2020

As you are aware, we are experiencing a global health crisis due to the COVID-19 Coronavirus. With increasing customer demand for critical safety products, we have seen examples of egregious pricing from third party sellers in our store. Price gouging is a clear violation of our policies, unethical, and in some cases, illegal. As a result, we are suspending selling accounts and removing all listings for sellers who engage in price gouging in violation of the Amazon Marketplace Fair Pricing Policy. We encourage you to audit your prices to avoid this problem.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Important notice regarding price gouging 

Mar 5, 2020

As you are aware, we are experiencing a global health crisis due to the COVID-19 Coronavirus. With increasing customer demand for critical safety products, we have seen examples of egregious pricing from third party sellers in our store. Price gouging is a clear violation of our policies, unethical, and in some cases, illegal. As a result, we are suspending selling accounts and removing all listings for sellers who engage in price gouging in violation of the Amazon Marketplace Fair Pricing Policy. We encourage you to audit your prices to avoid this problem.

Is there % over MSRP that is determined as gouging?  How do they decide that?

53 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Is there % over MSRP that is determined as gouging?  How do they decide that?

I think the line is drawn when sellers are price gouging on items that customers need vs what customers want. A customer might want a certain collectible item, so they are willing to pay X amount for it. Let’s say that same customer went to stock up on a few 2 oz bottles of purell hand sanitizer that is normally $1.99. They noticed the shelves were empty, so they check Amazon, and see it’s being sold for $24.99. Those sellers are deliberately buying up all the stock around, so they can QFLL it for 10x the price, because they know at this very moment in time, it’s a necessity. To me that is gouging. 

I think the line is drawn when sellers are price gouging on items that customers need vs what customers want. A customer might want a certain collectible item, so they are willing to pay X amount for it. Let’s say that same customer went to stock up on a few 2 oz bottles of purell hand sanitizer that is normally $1.99. They noticed the shelves were empty, so they check Amazon, and see it’s being sold for $24.99. Those sellers are deliberately buying up all the stock around, so they can QFLL it for 10x the price, because they know at this very moment in time, it’s a necessity. To me that is gouging. 

No one “needs” any of these items. Hand sanitizer is ineffective along with wipes compared to soap and hand washing which is readily available. If one has an interest in making their own hand sanitizer they can easily do so with a bottle of aloe Vera and rubbing alcoholic. These are luxury items that provide consumers with a salve against reality.

We’re going to likely see further supply chain disruptions and hoarding soon. A lack of artificial ingredients like fake sweetener is going to impact the supply of diet soda. That’s going to drive up the price once supply drops. This is simply supply and demand economics and Amazon and eBay don’t want the bad publicity that strays outside of their own market manipulation.
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

No one “needs” any of these items. Hand sanitizer is ineffective along with wipes compared to soap and hand washing which is readily available. If one has an interest in making their own hand sanitizer they can easily do so with a bottle of aloe Vera and rubbing alcoholic. These are luxury items that provide consumers with a salve against reality.

We’re going to likely see further supply chain disruptions and hoarding soon. A lack of artificial ingredients like fake sweetener is going to impact the supply of diet soda. That’s going to drive up the price once supply drops. This is simply supply and demand economics and Amazon and eBay don’t want the bad publicity that strays outside of their own market manipulation.

https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf

You’re absolutely right. You can make your own hand sanitizer. Just make sure your ratios are correct. I will also take your advice and stock up on Red Bull 🤤

Ok, here's another thing that has me perplexed.

B08548L9YN

LEGO Creator Easter Bunny Polybag 30550

I have two windows open for this.  On one, there is a buy box for "Go-To-Girl" for $15.98 + FREE shipping.  The other does not have a buy box, "available from these sellers".  Opening the slide window will reveal all the same sellers.  I'm guessing how I arrived at two different windows by doing a common search and the other by going through a FBA inventory link.  Hitting refresh on each window does not change anything.

F****d by Amazon :

We are closely monitoring the developments of COVID-19 and its impact on our customers, selling partners, and employees.

We are seeing increased online shopping, and as a result some products such as household staples and medical supplies are out of stock. With this in mind, we are temporarily prioritizing household staples, medical supplies, and other high-demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so that we can more quickly receive, restock, and deliver these products to customers. 

For products other than these, we have temporarily disabled shipment creation. We are taking a similar approach with retail vendors. 

This will be in effect today through April 5, 2020, and we will let you know once we resume regular operations. Shipments created before today will be received at fulfillment centers.

You can learn more about this on this Help page 455. Please note that Selling Partner Support does not have further guidance.

We understand this is a change to your business, and we did not take this decision lightly. We are working around the clock to increase capacity and yesterday announced 99 that we are opening 100,000 new full- and part-time positions in our fulfillment centers across the US. 

We appreciate your understanding as we prioritize the above products for our customers.

Thank you for your patience, and being F****d by Amazon .

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

F****d by Amazon :

We are closely monitoring the developments of COVID-19 and its impact on our customers, selling partners, and employees.

We are seeing increased online shopping, and as a result some products such as household staples and medical supplies are out of stock. With this in mind, we are temporarily prioritizing household staples, medical supplies, and other high-demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so that we can more quickly receive, restock, and deliver these products to customers. 

For products other than these, we have temporarily disabled shipment creation. We are taking a similar approach with retail vendors. 

This will be in effect today through April 5, 2020, and we will let you know once we resume regular operations. Shipments created before today will be received at fulfillment centers.

You can learn more about this on this Help page 455. Please note that Selling Partner Support does not have further guidance.

We understand this is a change to your business, and we did not take this decision lightly. We are working around the clock to increase capacity and yesterday announced 99 that we are opening 100,000 new full- and part-time positions in our fulfillment centers across the US. 

We appreciate your understanding as we prioritize the above products for our customers.

Well, that stinks, putting people in a lurch for sure. The influx in a few weeks won't help them either.

48 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

F****d by Amazon :

FBM it is ....

I am sure you guys have answered this before, but how do you keep track of all the stuff you send into amazon making sure they dont lose any of it. Like in the past i noticed one of my items disappear after being listed for a couple weeks only to be found after I contacted them. 

1 hour ago, AWES1234 said:

I am sure you guys have answered this before, but how do you keep track of all the stuff you send into amazon making sure they dont lose any of it. Like in the past i noticed one of my items disappear after being listed for a couple weeks only to be found after I contacted them. 

It does happen.

Amazon royally screwed up by banning or restricting over a million 3rd party sellers for price gouging, which they failed to define, and now want to prioritize shipments to restock tpee, hand sanitizer, and masks. Well, the people with current stock are those sellers and they no longer have access to the marketplace to sell, so no name companies from China park listings for products with four to six week ship times.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Amazon royally screwed up by banning or restricting over a million 3rd party sellers for price gouging, which they failed to define, and now want to prioritize shipments to restock tpee, hand sanitizer, and masks. Well, the people with current stock are those sellers and they no longer have access to the marketplace to sell, so no name companies from China park listings for products with four to six week ship times.

Yea they could have capped prices instead of banning people. Give sellers the option of selling at a small markup or let them sit out. 

• Like 3

Yea they could have capped prices instead of banning people. Give sellers the option of selling at a small markup or let them sit out. 

Exactly! Now there is zero supply because those who have it have no marketplace to move it outside of local. Amazon really screwed up and could have stepped in with clear price restrictions.
  • Like 1

Just now, Mark Twain said:

Exactly! Now there is zero supply because those who have it have no marketplace to move it outside of local. Amazon really screwed up and could have stepped in with clear price restrictions.

They could even reduce seller fees on these essential items... lol...

• Like 3

I’ve thought about it, and I think they banned rather than capped because a cap would still encourage hoarding by resellers. Only a complete freeze would stop that. The mistake would be that they didn’t do it sooner.

I think some responsibility should be on the retailer too. They let a guy come in and buy 300 sanitizers in one transaction.

20 minutes ago, donbee said:

I’ve thought about it, and I think they banned rather than capped because a cap would still encourage hoarding by resellers. Only a complete freeze would stop that. The mistake would be that they didn’t do it sooner.

I think some responsibility should be on the retailer too. They let a guy come in and buy 300 sanitizers in one transaction.

altho I agree that retailers should share in the responsibility

the more likely scenario is opportunistic resellers probably bought 5 to 10 unit but hit every Target, Costco, Walmart in their area or rented a U-Haul...Hmmm sounds like familiar behavior😷