Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

This is not eBay but rather FB marketplace. And the fruitcakes is me :(

Sold a built set with a 10% discount as buyer haggled for it. I want to sell, so just agreed to it.  Handed over and buyer took a quick look. Later buyer notified that four missing parts - which was rather strange as it has been on display since built. 

Offered buyer that I can ship the (small) parts (since buyer do not want to drive over to pick up). Dropping off at buyers place is not an option. 

Buyer wanting to return. Normally I will say yes - but I am hesitant as who knows what else the buyer has taken away. Not an expensive set, $150.

What will you do?

11 minutes ago, Ogelwoc said:

This is not eBay but rather FB marketplace. And the fruitcakes is me :(

Sold a built set with a 10% discount as buyer haggled for it. I want to sell, so just agreed to it.  Handed over and buyer took a quick look. Later buyer notified that four missing parts - which was rather strange as it has been on display since built. 

Offered buyer that I can ship the (small) parts (since buyer do not want to drive over to pick up). Dropping off at buyers place is not an option. 

Buyer wanting to return. Normally I will say yes - but I am hesitant as who knows what else the buyer has taken away. Not an expensive set, $150.

What will you do?

the fact the buyer doesn't want you to mail the missing pieces (assuming they are common) to him raises alarm.  I mean why the F not?

It's either buyer remorse or  scam; neither that is your fault.  Buyer option is to get the missing pieces shipped..that should be it.

6 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

the fact the buyer doesn't want you to mail the missing pieces (assuming they are common) to him raises alarm.  I mean why the F not?

It's either buyer remorse or  scam; neither that is your fault.  Buyer option is to get the missing pieces shipped..that should be it.

Those are common pieces. 

Yes, it is what raised my alarm bells. Buyer claimed it was kiddo pocket money buying - so in the spirit of Christmas, I accepted buyer offer of 10% off. I normally do not even haggle as my price is very competitive on FB marketplace.

HAte selling expensive items on ebay so i listed my UCS MF as local pickup only. 

A buyer reached out and asked if i could ship it. Since it wasnt selling for a while I caved in. Buyer also had 100% feedback so I felt safe. I bought signature confirmation via UPS. 

And sure enough got the dreaded message today.

hello, my package was delivered this morning around 11:30 and said it was signed by me. the package never arrived so all i can think is UPS delivered to the wrong address and forged my name. there has been someone home all day and they said the package never came. i contacted UPS and they told me i had to contact the seller. can you see what you can do? i'm like literally in tears. someone got my lego set and now i'm screwed!

Do I have any recourse with UPS? I only paid for basic signature nothing more.

If I ignore his message and he opens a case, will he win?

7 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

HAte selling expensive items on ebay so i listed my UCS MF as local pickup only. 

A buyer reached out and asked if i could ship it. Since it wasnt selling for a while I caved in. Buyer also had 100% feedback so I felt safe. I bought signature confirmation via UPS. 

And sure enough got the dreaded message today.

hello, my package was delivered this morning around 11:30 and said it was signed by me. the package never arrived so all i can think is UPS delivered to the wrong address and forged my name. there has been someone home all day and they said the package never came. i contacted UPS and they told me i had to contact the seller. can you see what you can do? i'm like literally in tears. someone got my lego set and now i'm screwed!

Do I have any recourse with UPS? I only paid for basic signature nothing more.

If I ignore his message and he opens a case, will he win?

did you use ebays shipping for the label or worldship?  2 different processes there.  Ebays is a much bigger pita as you are technially a 3rd party shipper.  

As far as the case if it's signature and matching zip code you would win.  There are instances though where they have it signed and they truly didn't get it.  Had it happen over the summer.  UPS wound up paying the claim for $1000 but it was a huge hassle with a 3rd party shipping label.

Learned from then any high dollar is much better doing through your UPS account if you have one.

3 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

did you use ebays shipping for the label or worldship?  2 different processes there.  Ebays is a much bigger pita as you are technically a 3rd party shipper.  

As far as the case if it's signature and matching zip code you would win.  There are instances though where they have it signed and they truly didn't get it.  Had it happen over the summer.  UPS wound up paying the claim for $1000 but it was a huge hassle with a 3rd party shipping label.

Learned from then any high dollar is much better doing through your UPS account if you have one.

i used regular ebay shipping.

Buyer didnt open any case yet just asked me if there is anything I could do on my end, I don't see how there us anything I could do except wait till he opens up some sort of case.

1 minute ago, Bricklectic said:

Buyer didnt open any case yet just asked me if there is anything I could do on my end, I don't see how there us anything I could do except wait till he opens up some sort of case.

you can open a claim with ups,  you have to open as a third party claim though, it will reject if you put it in your name.  So where it asks if you are the shipper you technically put no. Then can fill out the rest.   Can use your email though.  Ebay has a form that they can give you too but I just went through UPS direct.  They do a driver follow up as it all has GPS coordinates and most the time driver will usually remember on big stuff like that recently.  Plus they'll be able to tell pretty quick off the GPS scan.  

The particular one I had was a  guy that had bought about 20 purchases in a month all about 1k and up.  He didn't open case did same thing said hey I didn't get it even though it says I did.  He was in a business complex and when he received all his packages for the day just happened to sign it not realizing one wasn't there.  It actually didn't go to him and UPS did award the claim.  It took like 6 months to get the check though.

I just refunded ahead on that one cause I didn't want to piss the guy off as he had bought so much with no issues.  

I had contacted ebay about it as well and they stated to use their claim form and explained the 3rd party.  That explained why it kept rejecting my worldship account when I made the claim.   There are rare instances where the check gets sent to ebay then ebay credits your account as again they are technically the shipper.  Mine didn't end that way though.  The check came to me.

If you get ahead of it and he's being truthful most likely the guy won't even open the case.   If you have a scan with matching zip though wouldn't be to worried about it.

• Like 1

One other thing on that zip / city match I forgot to mention on UPS is make sure it says the city on UPS website tracking page.  The ebay site tracking will always pull up the zip and city / state on there end that was provided on the label but the UPS site will show city and that can vary if it was misdelivered.  There have been instances I lost a case cause I was lazy and checked ebay side but the UPS site had a different city as the delivery location.   They have to match what the address says on ebay.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Ebay should have your back per Seller Protection policy should buyer open a case

If a buyer reports that an item hasn't been received

If you ship an item within your stated handling time, and you upload tracking before the estimated delivery date from one of eBay's integrated shipping carriers that shows evidence of successful delivery, you're protected.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

Just had this GSP purchase come through and I have some questions. 

image.png.16b916c82da5ca2cd1f1ee4c8da09040.png

He is from KY.....Had an old acquaintance many years ago who went to high school with him.....Said he was a pretty nice guy

Edited by mlc3423

8 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

Has anyone been able to access their 1099-k from ebay yet? Strangely, it seems to be saying I wont get one this year despite being over the threshhold. Or are they just not avail yet?

I spoke with my CPA yesterday. They would not pursue the new $600 tress hold. It would be like before 

The Notice creates a transition period of one year, postponing the $600 Form 1099-K threshold until the January 31, 2024 reporting date. In essence, the IRS is taking the rules back to the pre-March 2021 threshold ($20,000 and 200 transactions) for any calendar year beginning before January 1, 2023. The lower reporting threshold (any number of transactions totaling $600) remains in effect for calendar years starting after December 31, 2022. This one-year delay does not apply to any of the other Form 1099-K rules not modified by the American Rescue Plan Act.

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/news/nta-blog-heard-loud-and-clear-irs-postpones-implementation-of-600-form-1099-k-reporting-by-a-year/#:~:text=In essence%2C the IRS is,starting after December 31%2C 2022.

1 hour ago, airhanny said:

I spoke with my CPA yesterday. They would not pursue the new $600 tress hold. It would be like before 

The Notice creates a transition period of one year, postponing the $600 Form 1099-K threshold until the January 31, 2024 reporting date. In essence, the IRS is taking the rules back to the pre-March 2021 threshold ($20,000 and 200 transactions) for any calendar year beginning before January 1, 2023. The lower reporting threshold (any number of transactions totaling $600) remains in effect for calendar years starting after December 31, 2022. This one-year delay does not apply to any of the other Form 1099-K rules not modified by the American Rescue Plan Act.

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/news/nta-blog-heard-loud-and-clear-irs-postpones-implementation-of-600-form-1099-k-reporting-by-a-year/#:~:text=In essence%2C the IRS is,starting after December 31%2C 2022.

Yes, I'm over the old threshhold. Still no 1099k. So just checking if anyone got theirs yet or still not avail

45 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Yes, I'm over the old threshhold. Still no 1099k. So just checking if anyone got theirs yet or still not avail

Ebay normally will have it by the end of the month....If you still haven't received it you can call and they should be able to help you

25 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

I looked after you asked and found I got an eBay 1099K year that I don't recall using for my taxes last year, I think I just made the income/COGS numbers work with the records I had. This is despite only doing like $1100 in sales on the platform in 2021.

That's odd. 1100 in sales should NOT have resulted in a 1099-k.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

So I've had 3 scam purchases in the last 2 weeks on Ebay. And what is really odd about it is that it has all been on the same set. Luke's Lanspeeder 75173. 2 of them had the buyer file a claim for unknown purchase on their account. Luckily, the item had not been shipped to it's final destination. So I was able to do a USPS package intercept (for $17). Which means I'll make no money on the sale when it does eventually get sold. But I'm not gonna have some thief get free Lego on my watch if I can stop it. SO that happened twice. Then a few days ago, the same landspeeder sold again. And I noticed the name on the delivery address and the name on the account were different. So I sent the buyer a message asking them to confirm that they indeed wanted this item and wanted it delivered to a different person's name. I told them I was not gonna ship the item until I heard back from them. So they never responded after 3 days. So today I cancelled their order and issued a refund. Then an hour later they filed and unknown purchase claim on the order (that I had already refunded). So we'll see how this plays out. But very odd that I've had this issue with the same set 3 times in the past 2 weeks. But besides this issue, I've sold many sets on Ebay recently without anything suspicious going on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gonkalin said:

So I've had 3 scam purchases in the last 2 weeks on Ebay. And what is really odd about it is that it has all been on the same set. Luke's Lanspeeder 75173. 2 of them had the buyer file a claim for unknown purchase on their account. Luckily, the item had not been shipped to it's final destination. So I was able to do a USPS package intercept (for $17). Which means I'll make no money on the sale when it does eventually get sold. But I'm not gonna have some thief get free Lego on my watch if I can stop it. SO that happened twice. Then a few days ago, the same landspeeder sold again. And I noticed the name on the delivery address and the name on the account were different. So I sent the buyer a message asking them to confirm that they indeed wanted this item and wanted it delivered to a different person's name. I told them I was not gonna ship the item until I heard back from them. So they never responded after 3 days. So today I cancelled their order and issued a refund. Then an hour later they filed and unknown purchase claim on the order (that I had already refunded). So we'll see how this plays out. But very odd that I've had this issue with the same set 3 times in the past 2 weeks. But besides this issue, I've sold many sets on Ebay recently without anything suspicious going on.

there's probably a tiktok about how to get "free" LEGO on Ebay and that's probably the example set in the vid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1