Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Anyone have an explanation or guess for the phenomenon where ebay buyers purchase an item for more money than current available listings, both from reputable sellers?  I most frequently see this with auction listings, but do see it with buy it now as well.  For example a Tie Fighter Helmet just went for $162+$15 s/h in auction when there have readily been ones available from reputable sellers at or just below $160.  The only thing I can think of is maybe someone put a high bid in prior to the current available listings, but I don't believe that to be the case all the time.  

Anyone have an explanation or guess for the phenomenon where ebay buyers purchase an item for more money than current available listings, both from reputable sellers?  I most frequently see this with auction listings, but do see it with buy it now as well.  For example a Tie Fighter Helmet just went for $162+$15 s/h in auction when there have readily been ones available from reputable sellers at or just below $160.  The only thing I can think of is maybe someone put a high bid in prior to the current available listings, but I don't believe that to be the case all the time.  

Shipping and handling times matter more than price sometimes. Drop shippers will buy at a higher price if they can get a product into a customers hand within whatever window they’re working with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note of warning about Ebay's 30-day return policy (buyer perspective)

For some reason i thought the time span was longer than 30 days; anyway, I purchased a $100+ set from a seller w/ 17 positive reviews. Delay in shipping so I just sat on it.  Finally contacted the seller.  HE said he will contact the USPS to try and hunt it down.  I waited patiently for a couple of weeks; he sent periodic updates indicating some progress. Finally I decide to just initiate the return. Ebay states that I exceeded the 30-day return period and therefore the case is closed.  I appealed and immediately told the case decision was final.

sucks

As a seller I am fully aware that I incur all the risk of shipping loss as I have some sort of recourse w/ the shipper (ie insurance, etc). I don't expect the buyer to eat the loss if the package is lost in the mail. The Package is still showing as not delivered by tracking number.  I feel like the seller strung me along and took advantage of my patience and trust.

4 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Just a note of warning about Ebay's 30-day return policy (buyer perspective)

For some reason i thought the time span was longer than 30 days; anyway, I purchased a $100+ set from a seller w/ 17 positive reviews. Delay in shipping so I just sat on it.  Finally contacted the seller.  HE said he will contact the USPS to try and hunt it down.  I waited patiently for a couple of weeks; he sent periodic updates indicating some progress. Finally I decide to just initiate the return. Ebay states that I exceeded the 30-day return period and therefore the case is closed.  I appealed and immediately told the case decision was final.

sucks

As a seller I am fully aware that I incur all the risk of shipping loss as I have some sort of recourse w/ the shipper (ie insurance, etc). I don't expect the buyer to eat the loss if the package is lost in the mail. The Package is still showing as not delivered by tracking number.  I feel like the seller strung me along and took advantage of my patience and trust.

Why return? Just open a case that item wasnt received

32 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Why return? Just open a case that item wasnt received

the 30 days applies to not receiving as well. 

IN my mind I had about 3 months (not sure where I got that number) to resolve this... so I initially gave the package about 2 weeks to arrive; then I contacted the seller indicating I have not received it.  He said he wants to check w/ USPS...another week goes by...he sends me screen shots that some movement is happening at USPS...so i wait another week...I ask for an update; he doesn't respond in two days so I click on the ebay option to request a refund for package not received...it tells me to contact the seller and wait 3 days before Ebay can get involved...somewhere I exceeded the 30-day.  Boom, case closed...package lost in USPS system and I am out $100+.  Seller gets to keep his money, Ebay keeps its fees.  I am a loser for not paying attention and trusting the seller. 

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

I also had to open a missing package claim as a seller for a shipment that did not have any tracking movement for over ten days. Also had a previous shipment not get any scan until right at the time of delivery. Has this been a trend with USPS to not scan movement for standard shipping? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

IN my mind I had about 3 months (not sure where I got that number) to resolve this

I think the 3 months was PayPal now 6 months, not Ebay, did you pay with PayPal if so open a case with them.

I always thought the 30 day period for returns on eBay was from date item was received not shipped, but that is for when the seller offers 30 day returns and you received the item, not for eBay money back guarantee.

What does the tracking actually show on your end in the USPS system not the screenshot seller provided. 

It is 30 days from the estimated arrival date for an item not received  

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?id=4210#delivery-dates

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MrToes16 said:

I also had to open a missing package claim as a seller for a shipment that did not have any tracking movement for over ten days. Also had a previous shipment not get any scan until right at the time of delivery. Has this been a trend with USPS to not scan movement for standard shipping? 

This happens all the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrToes16 said:

I've experienced this more recently with packages sent to me, not just eBay items either, no movement on the tracking then all of a sudden it's in my mailbox.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

the 30 days applies to not receiving as well. 

IN my mind I had about 3 months (not sure where I got that number) to resolve this... so I initially gave the package about 2 weeks to arrive; then I contacted the seller indicating I have not received it.  He said he wants to check w/ USPS...another week goes by...he sends me screen shots that some movement is happening at USPS...so i wait another week...I ask for an update; he doesn't respond in two days so I click on the ebay option to request a refund for package not received...it tells me to contact the seller and wait 3 days before Ebay can get involved...somewhere I exceeded the 30-day.  Boom, case closed...package lost in USPS system and I am out $100+.  Seller gets to keep his money, Ebay keeps its fees.  I am a loser for not paying attention and trusting the seller. 

As a seller,  I would ask my buyers to open case with eBay if they have not received items after 2 weeks and there is no update on tracking #.  I might eat the cost at the end but that is just proper business practice for me.  

Like @Pseudoty, I am also curious what the actual tracking details are from USPS website.

You can also open a ticket with USPS to figure out where the package is in their system (assuming seller did ship the package)

5 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

I think the 3 months was PayPal now 6 months, not Ebay, did you pay with PayPal if so open a case with them.

I always thought the 30 day period for returns on eBay was from date item was received not shipped, but that is for when the seller offers 30 day returns and you received the item, not for eBay money back guarantee.

What does the tracking actually show on your end in the USPS system not the screenshot seller provided. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?id=4210#delivery-dates

USPS Tracking says:

"In Transit"

Shipped Wed, Feb 2nd

Tracking details
USPS tracking #95346109540220331xxxxx
  • Mar 3, 2022
  • 6:36pm
  • PACKAGE RESEARCH CASE CLOSED 36518972
  •  
  • Mar 3, 2022
  • 3:59am
  • PACKAGE RESEARCH CASE CREATED 36518972
  •  
  • Feb 2, 2022
  • 4:18pm
  • DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
  • TURBEVILLE, SC 29162
  • Feb 2, 2022
  • 11:44am
  • USPS IN POSSESSION OF ITEM
  • TURBEVILLE, SC 29162
  • Feb 2, 2022
  • 9:17am
  • Tracking number provided
Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

5 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

I

Yes, I did use Paypal...that may be my safety net in all this.  Thanks!

I may be an idiot, but I don't 100% know if they guy was playing me or not.  I messaged him indicating that I am communicating w/ Ebay to resolved this (this is what the Ebay rep recommended I do, even tho the case is closed).  Ultimately it's on him to refund or I guess I escalate it to Paypal Protection.

Got me thinking of another recent purchase; $200+ where the seller claims he has a "2 week Handling and shipping policy".  Now we are at 19 days and still not shipped.  And the expected arrival date is 28 days from purchase.  Awefully fishy given what I just went thru.   

35 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

USPS Tracking says:

"In Transit"

Shipped Wed, Feb 2nd

Tracking details
USPS tracking #95346109540220331xxxxx
  • Mar 3, 2022
  • 6:36pm
  • PACKAGE RESEARCH CASE CLOSED 36518972
  •  
  • Mar 3, 2022
  • 3:59am
  • PACKAGE RESEARCH CASE CREATED 36518972
  •  
  • Feb 2, 2022
  • 4:18pm
  • DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
  • TURBEVILLE, SC 29162
  • Feb 2, 2022
  • 11:44am
  • USPS IN POSSESSION OF ITEM
  • TURBEVILLE, SC 29162
  • Feb 2, 2022
  • 9:17am
  • Tracking number provided

So there was a case opened with USPS.  Did USPS say anything useful?

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2022 at 3:18 AM, Pseudoty said:

To close the loop on this:

I just got confirmation by Paypal that I am getting the full amount ($100+) refunded...So Serious Thanks to @Pseudoty for mentioning the Paypal 3-6 month thing.  

Take-away Lesson; always pay w/ Paypal on Ebay purchases.

• Thanks 1

OfferUp yesterday afternoon - $350 MILF, about 10 minutes away from where I happened to be. Knowing full well what’s really up, decided to have a little fun, but not waste my time either.

Reached out and told him I was interested and nearby. Immediately met with “I’m in (city two hours away)”

“Weird,” I say, “says you’re right here.”

“Oh, that’s an OfferUp glitch.”

Uh huh.

Told the guy peace out. He pushed hard with a couple messages that he could ship it FedEx and “I’ll even take photos of me packing it!”

Lol

The listing and messages are gone this morning. I’m hoping it got axed. I had to duck out at that point and didn’t get to report it. Hopefully no one got screwed (except for him).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

OfferUp yesterday afternoon - $350 MILF, about 10 minutes away from where I happened to be. Knowing full well what’s really up, decided to have a little fun, but not waste my time either.

Reached out and told him I was interested and nearby. Immediately met with “I’m in (city two hours away)”

“Weird,” I say, “says you’re right here.”

“Oh, that’s an OfferUp glitch.”

Uh huh.

Told the guy peace out. He pushed hard with a couple messages that he could ship it FedEx and “I’ll even take photos of me packing it!”

Lol

The listing and messages are gone this morning. I’m hoping it got axed. I had to duck out at that point and didn’t get to report it. Hopefully no one got screwed (except for him).

You really need to be careful of any central Florida MILF. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Hey you Ebay Pros:

I haven't sold much on Ebay in years, just moved a relatively high value item ($500) - I know USPS Priority comes with Delivery Confirmation -

In this day and age, should I spring for the Signature requirement as well?

Depends on your pain tolerance.  If there is anything sketchy about the transaction or delivery address then I may consider it.  But generally I don't add Signature to anything that ebay doesn't force me to.  It may create hassle for the buyer/ receiver as having to be present for the item delivery (or post office pickup).

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, scratchdesk said:

Depends on your pain tolerance.  If there is anything sketchy about the transaction or delivery address then I may consider it.  But generally I don't add Signature to anything that ebay doesn't force me to.  It may create hassle for the buyer/ receiver as having to be present for the item delivery (or post office pickup).

I still add it from time to time, depending on if it's a zero feedback buyer, etc.

2 hours ago, Achilles said:

Hey you Ebay Pros:

I haven't sold much on Ebay in years, just moved a relatively high value item ($500) - I know USPS Priority comes with Delivery Confirmation -

have you had any messages with the buyer?

I always confirm the mailing address w/ them.  Every interaction reduces the uncertainty to some extent; especially on a big ticket item.

4 hours ago, Achilles said:

Hey you Ebay Pros:

"Seller – When should I purchase signature confirmation in order to be protected against an item not received case or a payment dispute?

If the order has a total cost (including shipping costs and any taxes) of $750 or more, you're required to purchase signature confirmation to be protected if a buyer reports an item not received or opens a payment dispute."

• Like 3