Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

What is the item? If it is lego not a QF and still sealed and they pay shipping why not?

its a google buds pro. just got the phony return request. i know i should really just suck it up, but its maddening when ppl scam you. I would be out shipping x2 as I offered free shipping on this.

image.thumb.png.2770a9281dc7734d5ec672609d48a542.png

theres a UPC on the ebay listing that auto generates, I wonder if i would actually win. 

does a "doesnt match description" affect metrics or only effect is that I pay for return shipping.

Edited by Bricklectic

5 minutes ago, c4dreams said:

They ordered by mistake and are asking if they can return it, how is that scummy?

I listed it with no refunds accepted. They asked if I could make an exception and implied they would they would make a phony claim

image.png.9319126606e7797dd852329c600110c3.png

which anyways he did by claiming it was not as described in his return request since i didnt list which production run in 2022 the google buds were from (as if!). He actually was nice once i explained to him that by claiming it was not as described he would hurt my account but I think once a return request is closed it cant be reopened and i didnt want him to call ebay after which could hurt me even more so i just accepted the request and the associated service defect :( 

Isn't the rule "'no returns allowed' doesn't really exist"? It deters the hesitant, but encourages the determined to cause more havoc with SNAD and INR cases. 

Jump on anytime that someone flat out offers to pay return shipping. It's like a unicorn sighting. 

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Not sure when this change occurred for Auctions because I have not bid on anything in a long time but now when you place a bid you are required to enter/confirm your payment method just like best offer. 

I believe they started doing it in october or november.....CS rep told me they're doing it in waves until they get everyone setup

Supposed to eliminate the problem of non-paying bidders

• Like 3

This is going to make auctions even less lucrative. 

First, many people bid knowing they can just not pay. Which drives up prices in the end.

Second, it's just extra clicks that have to be made. Meaning last second bids may not make it in time, keeping the final sale price down.

A win for truly interested buyers, but a big loss for sellers. BIN wins again. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 8:03 AM, brickvoyeur said:

This is going to make auctions even less lucrative. 

First, many people bid knowing they can just not pay. Which drives up prices in the end.

Second, it's just extra clicks that have to be made. Meaning last second bids may not make it in time, keeping the final sale price down.

A win for truly interested buyers, but a big loss for sellers. BIN wins again. 

Agreed, I was looking at this from a buyer’s perspective, also hopefully less shill bidders is a big win. I think once you set it up it will just be one more click to confirm payment method. 

I don’t do auctions but I did sell a FFL last night to:

Stitchy Léclown
XXXXXXXXX
Ijamsville, MD 21754-9127
United States

Looked him up and he is a real person with a big following and looks to know @emazers

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LegoWalker4 said:

Thanks for giving me hope I may be able to sell some of my first Flying Lesson sets on Facebook Marketplace by knowing they are selling on eBay.

I have sold 17 at $49 easy under 2lb shipping not sure what is going on with Amazon as the listing is no longer suppressed from search results. The seller that tanked the listing is the high price on World Map with only 2 sellers and 3 units left. This may be the real winner. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 7:32 AM, CsabaLazlo said:

I bought a Sigma camera lens on eBay for a competitive price from a 0 feedback seller. The lens arrived in perfect condition but it's a Nikon mount rather than the advertised Canon mount.

It blows my mind that someone can list a lens for the wrong camera system.

LoL. Maybe it was just lying around, belonged to their ex, or the just aren't into lenses and cameras.

• 2 weeks later...

I sold a parted out set on eBay a couple of days ago. The item title stated "New, open box with no minifigures". The item description stated "I have opened the box, removed the minifigures and resealed the bags". No pieces aside from the minifigures were removed.

The customer has now initiated a return request under the 'Missing parts or pieces' category.

His first message: "I did not know there was pieces missing as well".

My reponse: "Hi. What is the issue with the set? Only minifigures were removed, which was described in the listing."

His second message: "There are parts missing, so i would like to return this."

Is there anything I can do here? Obviously, if there were pieces missing aside from the minifigures he could get relacements from Lego.

20 minutes ago, CsabaLazlo said:

I sold a parted out set on eBay a couple of days ago. The item title stated "New, open box with no minifigures". The item description stated "I have opened the box, removed the minifigures and resealed the bags". No pieces aside from the minifigures were removed.

The customer has now initiated a return request under the 'Missing parts or pieces' category.

My reponse: "Hi. What is the issue with the set? Only minifigures were removed, which was described in the listing."

Is there anything I can do here? Obviously, if there were pieces missing aside from the minifigures he could get relacements from Lego.

"I did not know there was pieces missing as well" were the minifigure accessories pulled as well? I sell sets like this all the time and sometimes the accessories are also part of the build.

Did you use stock photos or pictures that showed/stated No Minifigures? Either way I would just accept the return and relist it. 

36 minutes ago, CsabaLazlo said:

He may have missed the fact the minifigs were missing, but lets assume he didn't. 

He may not know he can get pieces from Lego.  I think I've had this happen one time and suggested that going to Lego would be the quickest option, but I would be willing to do that for them it would just take more time to receive their piece.  Depending on the piece you could offer to send it direct to him from your collection, if you have spare parts.

38 minutes ago, CsabaLazlo said:

Always accept the return graciously. You're going to have to take the item back no matter what, all giving the buyer trouble is going to do is raising your negative feedback risk.

"I apologize, sometimes during production the machines Lego uses may add too many, or too few, of any given piece. I have accepted your return and will provide a refund once the item makes it back to me."

Pass the blame to production and move on. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

"I did not know there was pieces missing as well" were the minifigure accessories pulled as well? I sell sets like this all the time and sometimes the accessories are also part of the build.

Did you use stock photos or pictures that showed/stated No Minifigures? Either way I would just accept the return and relist it. 

12 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

He may have missed the fact the minifigs were missing, but lets assume he didn't. 

He may not know he can get pieces from Lego.  I think I've had this happen one time and suggested that going to Lego would be the quickest option, but I would be willing to do that for them it would just take more time to receive their piece.  Depending on the piece you could offer to send it direct to him from your collection, if you have spare parts.

9 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Always accept the return graciously. You're going to have to take the item back no matter what, all giving the buyer trouble is going to do is raising your negative feedback risk.

"I apologize, sometimes during production the machines Lego uses may add too many, or too few, of any given piece. I have accepted your return and will provide a refund once the item makes it back to me."

Pass the blame to production and move on. 

Thanks guys.

No accessories were removed. I used my own photos of the box but, didn't show the contents. In hindsight, that was a mistake. If I do this again I'll photograph the contents and send a message before posting to make sure the customer is aware that the figures have been removed.

I'll chalk this one up to experience and accept the request.

Edited by CsabaLazlo
Spelling
  • Like 1

I hate dealing with dumb people, some don’t read the details and buy on impulse; they will always find a lame excuse and eBay will be on their side. It’s better to do the return hoping that nothing was taken or damaged, refund their money, and block them. I recently had a case, and once you accept, they have about 30 days to return the item; by then you lose the opportunity to make another sale (in the X-Mas season, for example) during the period of high demand. 

10 minutes ago, barbos said:

I hate dealing with dumb people, some don’t read the details and buy on impulse; they will always find a lame excuse and eBay will be on their side. It’s better to do the return hoping that nothing was taken or damaged, refund their money, and block them. I recently had a case, and once you accept, they have about 30 days to return the item; by then you lose the opportunity to make another sale (in the X-Mas season, for example) during the period of high demand. 

Sold a New Sealed Lego Passenger train. Buyer's son built it, played with it and started a return because one of the train cars was not "sticking" to the others. I assume the magnets weren't lined up properly and tried to explain this but they didn't speak good English.  Bases of the return was that the Lego set was "defective".  I normally don't accept returns but of course it "wasn't as described."  I Called Ebay to get advice on how I should handle this since taking it back would mean I'm getting a used set back.  I explained to Ebay the predicament I'm in and they said not to worry so I refused the return.  Buyer was allowed to keep the set and was fully refunded.  Apparently accepting the return and then advising Ebay that it was not in the condition I sent it in is what I should of done. Doubt if the outcome would of been any different. Another one taken up the ying yang.

• Sad 1

Sold a New Sealed Lego Passenger train. Buyer's son built it, played with it and started a return because one of the train cars was not "sticking" to the others. I assume the magnets weren't lined up properly and tried to explain this but they didn't speak good English.  Bases of the return was that the Lego set was "defective".  I normally don't accept returns but of course it "wasn't as described."  I Called Ebay to get advice on how I should handle this since taking it back would mean I'm getting a used set back.  I explained to Ebay the predicament I'm in and they said not to worry so I refused the return.  Buyer was allowed to keep the set and was fully refunded.  Apparently accepting the return and then advising Ebay that it was not in the condition I sent it in is what I should of done. Doubt if the outcome would of been any different. Another one taken up the ying yang.
In the user's defense, those magnets suck once they switched to the RC models.

Yay LEGO!

From an item I sold last January!!!! Can I safely ignore a claim from such an old sale or will ebay still somehow side with him? Seems like I sold a return and the first buyer probably stole the figs...

Hello, Just under one year ago, on January xxx 2023. I purchased a Lego lot of three Batman sets titled "xxxxx". I have never opened sets 76139 or 76161 because I had not had time to build and wanted to preserve the new value I purchased it at. Today I finally had the time to open and build the Batmobile set which I checked over the final bag that contains the minifigures to find it contains only the Joker, missing Vicki Vale sh609 and Batman - One Piece Cowl and Cape with Complex Bat Logo (1989) sh60. Oddly enough the bag was appeared "sealed" but shows signs of being tampered with. I quickly opened the Batwing to find a similar issue but with the bag containing Lawrence The Boombox Goon sh672. The bags are still in the same condition as I pulled them from the box in their tampered state, "sealed" missing minifigures. The rest of the bags do not show the same signs of tampering. I have documented this thoroughly including exterior of the boxes.
I am messaging you to ask if you were aware the sets were tampered with prior to you providing them to me in the sale of this lot? Additionally, is there any resolution you can offer me to recovering the missing minifigures?
 I am requesting you message me ASAP before I further escalate due to the time that has passed already.