What is the rarest LEGO you own?

I don't have anything that's exceptionally rare.  I do have a lot of older sets from the 80's.  My 6990 Monorail Transport System is the most impressive among those, still in perfect working order.  I also have the Black Monarch's Castle and Forestmen Camouflaged Outpost (I believe the forestman with the black collar is pretty rare).

• 2 months later...

I'm sure many of you, like me, have one particular set with which you will never part (no pun intended).

For me, the rarest set, well, at least uncommon, is 8169 Lamborghini Gallardo. By no means a super rare or special set, but for now, it's the best I can offer up as an example as I've only been into LEGO for less than 3 years. I have no plans to sell or build this set any time soon, so it's TECHNICally in my investment pile.

The most special set I have in my collection would probably be 10178 Motorized AT-AT. Why? Well, this set was the first LEGO gift to me from my wife, I only had one other small set that was a gag gift, and the AT-AT started my AFOL age (I never had LEGO as a kid, therefore no Dark Ages). It hit all the buttons any 8-year old kid in the late 70's would imagine or child in an adult's body:

• Star Wars: Empires Strikes Back - ******'uff said
  • Actually walks (reminded me of my Zoids sets, I miss those terribly...wish I kept them)
  • Requires additional Hoth set purchases!
  • Amazing display of the LEGO system's potential, Technic or otherwise
  • Did I mention it walks?

The added bonus to this gift is that any time my wife rolls her eyes or puts hand on hip when "LEGO Store" shows up too frequently on bank statements, I can just say to her "Well, you started it...".

So, to add to this topic, please respond with the following:

- What is your rarest set (collection and/or investment):

- What is your most special set? And why?

NOTE: if this topic has been started elsewhere, please point me to it. Thanks.

Edited by Grolim
merged thread

I'ld have to say my rarest set would have to be my 10184-1 Town Plan set, as just look at the used prices! It isn't the rarest set out there, but I take pride in that when I received in for Christmas during '08, I still have it build after all those years.

My most special set would have to be my original 2004 Mos Eisley Cantina, still own it, got it when I was only 5. Not many kids can say they still have a toy they had when they were 5, and also when the issue with missing pieces is a problem, that makes it even more rarer. I played with it so much, but it's still in great condition. Sadly though, I lost the box years ago.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

10179  It must of been more then 10 years since last I even thought of Lego when I moved in with gf and decided to go back to parents basement to retrieve my bin'o Lego.  thought it would be a hoot to just pull them out and see what I could make.  thats when gf asked to go to her storage unit to get hers. dated for 6 months and neither one of us had even mentioned our old hobbies.  we got to the unit and low and behold she pulls out the falcon and the eiffel tower.  my jaw dropped.  had know idea the sets had gotten so good.  two years later the apt is overflowing with sets and moc's.  my running joke is if I decide to breakup I'm not going to do the "going out for cigarettes" lie. I'm asking her to go pick some up, then breaking and entering style throw as many sets onto blankets and hauling a$$ before she gets back.  

It's definitely this design drawing I received at SDCC 2012.  Behind the Bizarro minifigure I won in the raffle was a sticker and when I went to claim my prize they were handing these out.  I have seen the one with Superman/Lex Luthor/Wonder Woman and a couple of the Avengers ones on ebay.  This one is just awesome because I love Batman and it's actually pictured in the LEGO DC/Batman book by DK.  Pretty cool:

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 1

I posted way earlier in the thread and since then have grabbed a couple of nifty sets off CL that have gone straight into the personal collection:

10133 BNSF GP-38 Locomotivebrickpicker_set_10133_1.jpg

10187 Volkswagen Beetle brickpicker_set_10187-1_3.jpg

I would guess that for production sets, both are fairly rare.  Like others, i also built this guy for the personal collectoin:

41999 Limited Edition Co-Creation 4x4 Crawler brickpicker_set_41999_1.jpg

For some reason, I gravitate to vehicles...

I don't have anything that's exceptionally rare.  I do have a lot of older sets from the 80's.  My 6990 Monorail Transport System is the most impressive among those, still in perfect working order.  I also have the Black Monarch's Castle and Forestmen Camouflaged Outpost (I believe the forestman with the black collar is pretty rare).

Same with me except I don't have #6990 monorail but have the other 2 monorails (6399 and 6991). Growing up as a kid in the 90's got into many of the themes starting in 1993. By now I have almost all sets that I drooled over as a kid. I have a bunch of very uncommon sets, but I wouldn't say there's much that I have that is exceptionally rare. Can't think of any rare pieces/figures off the top of my head.

For me it is my original Classic Castle (375) that I had as a child. My daughter has recently got into Lego and has inherited all my original stuff so we re-built it together. Got a lot of space stuff too... need to figure out what sets and maybe rebuild those too.

• 2 months later...

Nothing too rare realy. A still sealed 844 Universal Set with motor probably the rarest.

A 396 Thatcher Perkins Locomotive and 392 Formula 1, both with box and instructions.

Quite a few old Technic sets like 8860 Car Chassis (two of them), 857 Motorbike & Sidecar, 855 Mobile Crane, 850 Forklift etc.

4x Yoda "NY I :heart: " minifigures from the X-Wing TRU Times Square event and 2 sleeves for the X-Wings. I was only collecting/investing for 4 months and was a noob, not knowing or understanding what the little Yodas might be worth today. The kicker was TRU selling the X-Wings for only $50 each...typical TRU silliness.

Even more rare because I woke my 7 year old up at the crack of dawn, dragged him on the train and he had no idea where we were going.

Rare and special indeed.

• Like 2