9471 - Uruk-Hai Army

Went to a Kmart tonight and they had a couple of these 9471 sets.  I took one to the scanner expecting it to come up as $14.50 and it scanned at $11.  I got 2 of them and after using a couple of coupons ($3 off $10, and $10 off $10), they ended up being $5 each.

So check your Kmart stores if you have them close by!  YMMV but it looks like they're clearing out the older LOTR sets.  I think 9472 Weathertop is the next to be heavily discounted.  It was $44 tonight.

You sold a bunch of 9471s for $60?  On Amazon or eBay or elsewhere?

You sold a bunch of 9471s for $60?  On Amazon or eBay or elsewhere?

Ebay.

Went to a Kmart tonight and they had a couple of these 9471 sets.  I took one to the scanner expecting it to come up as $14.50 and it scanned at $11.  I got 2 of them and after using a couple of coupons ($3 off $10, and $10 off $10), they ended up being $5 each.

So check your Kmart stores if you have them close by!  YMMV but it looks like they're clearing out the older LOTR sets.  I think 9472 Weathertop is the next to be heavily discounted.  It was $44 tonight.

All of my Kmarts have been cleaned out for months. I bought mine a couple of "additional 50% off" cycles ago at one store. All my other stores didn't have any left.

I would expect both sets to double in value, thats pretty standard among even basic castle sets that are retired, so $300 for the two is certainly possible.

Yeah but There are too much of those in investment I'd say....

And i always take 2-3 years after retirement date to guess the value and I just dont see Uruk hai army + Helm's Deep breaching 300$ by December 2016 

December 2016 is also my time to start selling my Helm Deeps and Armies.

I see investment as a 5 year plan. But if sets are still climbing after that time I would hold - assuming I still have room of course!

The first wave LOTR sets should all perform well but it may take a few years before you see decent returns. As for now they are plentiful which is holding the prices down.

Also for the smaller sets, the BP price is slightly undervalued as people sell them without the minifigs. Again once these become scarce after EOL the BP price will more reflect the actual value.

I see investment as a 5 year plan. But if sets are still climbing after that time I would hold - assuming I still have room of course!

The first wave LOTR sets should all perform well but it may take a few years before you see decent returns. As for now they are plentiful which is holding the prices down.

Also for the smaller sets, the BP price is slightly undervalued as people sell them without the minifigs. Again once these become scarce after EOL the BP price will more reflect the actual value.

5 years after now on is quite risky (not like 2-3 isnt but less) I stopped all investment purchases for now and am only selling now (except for what I buy for my own collection) I predict LEGO investing will be ''too popular'' in 2018(maybe 2020) to make decent enough cash (for my liking that is)

Yeah it will perform well... I wonder how much it can appreciate.... 

• Like 1

5 years after now on is quite risky (not like 2-3 isnt but less) I stopped all investment purchases for now and am only selling now (except for what I buy for my own collection) I predict LEGO investing will be ''too popular'' in 2018(maybe 2020) to make decent enough cash (for my liking that is)

5 years is an estimate, if I see sets leveling off after 3-4, then I may as well sell. It also depends upon you think is a decent return (everyone will be different here). But I also think the days of 3-400% returns are over. But even a 100% return over 3-4 years is not bad compared to other investments.

I will prob be done with this investment strategy by then as well. Lego is leading the charge of eliminating the lego after market, whether they flood the market with sets right before retirement, re-release older sets like we have seen in the SW theme or just provide similar alternative options for new buyers they will do w/e they can to make sure the pool of money being spent on legos does directly to them and not to some reseller. Also, with the ever growing popularity of lego investing competition will drive down our profits to the point where its no longer worth the time.

• 2 months later...

Saw four at shopko for $19.99 each. Didn't bite. Might tomorrow

My Shopkos had a bunch of these, and then they disappeared.   Employees said they were probably sent back since a couple stores were sitting on a half dozen each and then, gone.  They never got below the mid 20s, should have picked them up, but was waiting for a super Shopko sale.

Yeah, no kidding.  Passing on these at $20 is not very smart considering they already sell for $40-45 right now and that price is only going to go up.  I bought my last one at Walmart in late December for MSRP and the box was even damaged.  I do have 12 others that I got for $20-25 each though.