Flick Picks & TV Clicks

Guest eightbrick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing Oppenheimer, first movie I have gone to since the great shutdown, big disappointment but I guess the critics can’t all be wrong so maybe it was just me. There was some great acting and about an hour worth of goodness in the middle surrounded by a poor beginning and a terrible ending.

Spoiler Alert:

I guess when you know that the bomb did work there is no suspense. 

4 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Just got back from seeing Oppenheimer, first movie I have gone to since the great shutdown, big disappointment but I guess the critics can’t all be wrong so maybe it was just me. There was some great acting and about an hour worth of goodness in the middle surrounded by a poor beginning and a terrible ending.

Spoiler Alert:

That’s kind of what I expected.  I can’t get over the annoying closeups of Cillian Murphy’s eyes bugging out in the trailers. When I found out that there’s no payoff with the ending. Not interested. 

16 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Spoiler Alert:

I was annoyed by “Tenet” and also annoyed by Nolan’s style with “Oppenheimer”. Although I liked it overall for the subject matter, the fast cuts between actors, quick dialogue, and over stylized with too much dialogue got me again. He is no Tarantino with dialogue.

Finally had time to watch D&D Honor Among Thieves.  It was fine little story with a bunch of easter eggs for fans.  I liked the chemistry among the casts and the teamwork in their quests.   It probably could have done better in theaters had it been a shorter (90-110 minutes) movie. They could have released  this version as extended version on streaming / bluray.

But Hasbro also made some epic dumb decisions that enraged core D&D fans just a few weeks before movie release.  Movie would have made a lot more money without those decisions  :D

ETA: Hugh Grant was the perfect choice for a high Charisma / Charm / Personality / Born with good looks kind of character.

2 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I think I am getting old, but 3 hours is an easy pass for me.  I probably watch it when it is out on streaming so I can pause at my leisure. :D

This one actually doesn't feel like 3 hours, but I get what you mean. I usually cut movies in half nowadays.

I got an Oppenheimer ticket for tomorrow, super stoked, but only to experience the cinematography -- not the story. To me, Nolan does it better than anyone else. Man, the opening of Dark Knight will forever be etched in my memory... I'm feigning for more! 

Same thing for Joker, Jones, and Avatar. I don't remember those stories at all lol, but I remember those colors and the overall feel. Reminds me of a saying that I always apply in my business presentations, "People don't remember what you say, they remember how you make them feel".  

Movies in general are too damn long nowadays.  That and thirty minutes of commercials and previews before the movie even begins. We’re already paying $15 a ticket. Sitting through 3 hours of the history of the atomic bomb 😴 Nolan is bit too pretentious for me anyway.