Retiring Soon - open speculation

None of this stuff has been "retired" in the US yet. It's sold out, but we don't see the labels until the 1st Quarter (usually). I like that system. I don't think they're bringing a damn thing back from the dead (unretiring). They just need a more prudent--and permanent--application of the label in Europe and elsewhere. 

This is simply an observation from the last few years. I'm happy to be wrong either way. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

None of this stuff has been "retired" in the US yet. It's sold out, but we don't see the labels until the 1st Quarter (usually). I like that system. I don't think they're bringing a damn thing back from the dead (unretiring). They just need a more prudent--and permanent--application of the label in Europe and elsewhere. 

This is simply an observation from the last few years. I'm happy to be wrong either way. 

Voice of reason - thankyou. :)

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
15 minutes ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

So you bailed out? or are you still investing? it seems like you are making both claims simultaneously 

Bailed out 90% with just a few good sets remaining and I've stopped buying to lose invest. The WH purchase was a test for resurrection. If it arrives with a new seal code, it's back - if it's an older seal code, it's probably returned stock and the end is nigh. The 4x MM were an offer from LEGO UK due to the nightmare with TRU and they're not charging me! Again, I'll let you know the seal codes.

In summary... Have I bought more to invest? No, I haven't! Then again, it's my business ;-)

The "Retiring Soon" tag is simply unnecessary unless LEGO want to truly gauge reseller demand? Of course, LEGO still need to offload discontinued sets returned from retailers somehow.

Guest TabbyBoy
Just now, kurnitb said:

OUT OF STOCK fellas. Tabby how many truckload did you order this time? :) Was out of stock fast! :))

Truckloads of what? If it's WH, just 1.

I think Lego might have been better leaving all sets at sold out until end of jan rather than slapping on retired tags too early. 

Sets being returned before xmas smells of resellers. Also means they are going to have a lot of Snow Globes to dispose of next year at some point. 

Edited by Fenix_2k1

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I think Lego might have been better leaving all sets at sold out until end of jan rather than slapping on retired tags too early. 

Sets being returned before xmas smells of resellers. Also means they are going to have a lot of Snow Globes to dispose of next year at some point. 

I returned a huge amount of sets this month but, not a single one to LEGO UK. I can't see this being resellers as they would've bought them a lot cheaper elsewhere in bigger quantities eg. Tesco. It's more likely retailers sending unsold stock back so, watch out for possible double-sealed boxes! I know for a fact that The Entertainer removes a set from the shelf the moment that LEGO tags it as retired, I saw them removing Arctic Supply Planes once and they would NOT allow me to purchase them! ;-(

Guest TabbyBoy

Phew... It seems to be a gitch.

A lot of sets can no longer be found  at LEGO UK eg. 10214 Tower Bridge. There's NO WAY that would retire now, is there?

I'll shut up now shall I?

55 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I returned a huge amount of sets this month but, not a single one to LEGO UK. I can't see this being resellers as they would've bought them a lot cheaper elsewhere in bigger quantities eg. Tesco. It's more likely retailers sending unsold stock back so, watch out for possible double-sealed boxes! I know for a fact that The Entertainer removes a set from the shelf the moment that LEGO tags it as retired, I saw them removing Arctic Supply Planes once and they would NOT allow me to purchase them! ;-(

The Entertainer is a strange one.  I found a mint Mos Eisley Cantina on the shelf in my local shop at RRP in September..

Guest TabbyBoy
57 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

The Entertainer is a strange one.  I found a mint Mos Eisley Cantina on the shelf in my local shop at RRP in September..

If it was Reading, it was still there on the top right shelf in November! Yes, they are a strange bunch

45 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

71006 Simpsons house 49s6 seals seen at lego store

I feel sorry for those that bought this junk ;-)

It's a turkey, I tell ya!

7 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

they are still giving them away at Leicester Square Lego Store

17 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Similar here in The Netherlands. Found a Mos Eisley Cantina in a local Bart Smit store in Lelystad last Tuesday. 

The box was showing a lot of shelf wear, but still sealed. I doubt anyone would buy it for RRP at that condition, except if they truly don't care about the box and only about the Lego inside. Not presentable as a potential gift, I mean. But for someone who wants to build it for themselves and throw the box away, it wouldn't matter much. If only the store would put it down at half price... :P 

Edited by Haay
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Haay said:

Similar here in The Netherlands. Found a Mos Eisley Cantina in a local Bart Smit store in Lelystad last Tuesday. 

The box was showing a lot of shelf wear, but still sealed. I doubt anyone would buy it for RRP at that condition, except if they truly don't care about the box and only about the Lego inside. Not presentable as a potential gift, I mean. But for someone who wants to build it for themselves and throw the box away, it wouldn't matter much. If only the store would put it down at half price... :P 

They also offered them online a couple months back for -20% RRP, but as I was short on storage space, I did not order them... or wait.. of course I did.... I have four now :-)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Haay said:

Some stores don't ever do discounts on retiring / retired sets. I think it's just their policy. Of course this results in shelves full of sets no one wants to buy at RRP. Over here my local Fun store has what I call the "shelves off shame". Loaded with Ultra Agents, Chima, Lego Movie, Lone Ranger, .... No one buys them and they don't ever get a decent discount, so the sets just stick around for ages. Sometimes you get lucky and they dig up some old stuff from 5 years ago, but it's very rare and they are gone instantly.

FYI Bart Smit does do discounts on retired sets, at least online. I scored some Castle sets a couple of months ago. Gold Getaway for 10€. You can see the discounted sets by looking for round prices. This is true for a lot of stores. Most of them have prices like 9.99 or 19.95, but discounted sets are 10.00€, 20.00€, ...

• Like 3