Retiring Soon - open speculation

10 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I dunno I think if they were going Walmart/Target/Amzn would have been selling them at $100-$150 by now and there is no "retiring soon" tag on shop at home anywhere. I am not biting until we get a major discount on them.

I think the only quantifiable suspicion we have is that the license is suppose to expire this year, according to sources who posted here.

6 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

Hah. Oops, forgot about that different notation for a second. It's November.

That's why the only two acceptable date formats (in my opinion :) ) are

YYYYMMDD (e.g. 20161101) - this has the advantage of also sorting properly when sorted alphanumerically

DD/MON/YYYY (or MON/DD/YYYY, e.g. NOV-01-2016) - though you could argue that the month name is now subject to i18n confusion.

So everybody, get with the (=my) program!

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Does it matter?  I'm pretty sure I will be able to get one at retail for the next 2-3 years...

More like 10yrs in the UK and at a loss!

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Ecto 1, MM, Haunted Lighthouse, Space utility shuttle and Jokerland are now all C2C at US Shop. SOH is at 15 days backorder.

The 2 other space sets should also be going, but most likely there will be new space sets which are pretty similar released in 2017 or 2018

60077 Space Starter Set

60080 Spaceport

1 hour ago, Mhd747 said:

The 2 other space sets should also be going, but most likely there will be new space sets which are pretty similar released in 2017 or 2018

60077 Space Starter Set

60080 Spaceport

The last space theme was a few years back I thought. I did not see space on any rumor lists for 2017, but I could have missed it. Did you see space on the list for 2017?

58 minutes ago, Furious_george said:

What's the better indicator? US LEGO Shop at Home or EU LEGO Shop at Home? Not seeing all of these on our one which I assume is EU LEGO Shop at Home.

EU is faster and looser with sold out and retired tags, but US tags are generally more perminent.  So i would say US retired tag is the best indicator, but it may be months after the sets disapear.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 4:03 AM, Foxhound said:

76035 Jokerland is also C2C at LEGO Shop at Home.com. What do you think about this set. I mean, this one features Joker and Joker is never a bad investment. But if take a look at Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape, which is more or less comparable to this one...

Unless you have inside info that a particular Super Heroes set will retire after a very short shelf life (this was huge for the $20 Ant-Man set), say 6 months or less, I'd avoid the theme altogether at anything over 50% MSRP.  Between Lego remakes and unbelievably prolific counterfeiting of these sets, most of the minifigures have near zero collectability, and that was what used to drive their value.  Most lego SH collectors must have about 20 Joker minifigs by now.  Maybe you really do need the one with the green tie, and the one with the green and purple striped tie, and the one with the pink polka-dot tie...  But on the other hand, maybe not.

• Like 1

SD mystery mansion seems to have quietly disappeared from pretty much all retailers from what I can see. I know it's been on back order at SAH for a while but it would seem that stock everywhere else has dried up. If we don't see it appeared again within the next 30 days I think this set will do well at Xmas for those that don't want a long term hold.

21 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

SD mystery mansion seems to have quietly disappeared from pretty much all retailers from what I can see. I know it's been on back order at SAH for a while but it would seem that stock everywhere else has dried up. If we don't see it appeared again within the next 30 days I think this set will do well at Xmas for those that don't want a long term hold.

i see it for sale at walmart, kmart, amazon, toysrus - it seems pretty available 

Edited by nick625

21 minutes ago, nick625 said:

i see it for sale at walmart, kmart, amazon, toysrus - it seems pretty available 

online for sale yes.  but i have zero in stock availability in stores within 100 miles+.  this means we are unlikely to hear about people scoring troves for 50% off at walmart or target and makes me slightly encouraged to get some more.  most of scooby theme is OOS Call to check at shop at home usa so the theme is on its last legs.  

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cladner said:

online for sale yes.  but i have zero in stock availability in stores within 100 miles+.  this means we are unlikely to hear about people scoring troves for 50% off at walmart or target and makes me slightly encouraged to get some more.  most of scooby theme is OOS Call to check at shop at USA home so the theme is on its last legs.  

Or it just sold well for halloween, that's what I expect actually

2 minutes ago, dmind said:

Or it just sold well for halloween, that's what I expect actually

it was already OOS by me in August when Target cleared at 30%.  hard to know how well the whole theme will do post EOL but mystery machine may be  a winner.

btw - Ecto1 is call to check USA shop at home !!!!

Edited by cladner

Guest TabbyBoy

Codes 33S6 and 42S6 on WALL-E in John Lewis so a new batch has been made ;-(

Seems like the "Retiring Soon" tag will be here well into 2017.

These late codes (just from 1-2 weeks ago!) and a dance with back orders / availability tags show, that there is probably a new TLG tactics - to give "retiring soon" tag on slow sellers, produce last, extremly big wave of these sets, and sell them to horny, panic buying investors - so TLG is able to sell within 1 month more pieces of certain set than during whole year + clean the warehouses from bad sellers (and redirect them to investors storages)... great strategy...

52 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Codes 33S6 and 42S6 on WALL-E in John Lewis so a new batch has been made ;-(

Seems like the "Retiring Soon" tag will be here well into 2017.

Someone told me the seal codes are not an indicator of when the sets were made, but an indicator of when the sets were boxed up. Is that not true? If it is true, then couldn't a set a with 42s6 have been made three months ago? /shrug

Edited by Seeyounexttuesday
  • Like 1