Retiring Soon - open speculation

3 minutes ago, Seeyounexttuesday said:

Someone told me the seal codes are not an indicator of when the sets were made, but an indicator of when the sets were boxed up. Is that not true? If it is true, then couldn't a set a with 42s6 have been made three months ago? /shrug

I believe the seals have something to do with quality control. If there happens to be a failure that happened during production they can easily use the seals to determine which boxes are effected. So production should be pretty close to the time it gets boxed. Just my 0.02.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Seeyounexttuesday said:

Someone told me the seal codes are not an indicator of when the sets were made, but an indicator of when the sets were boxed up. Is that not true? If it is true, then couldn't a set a with 42s6 have been made three months ago? /shrug

Sounds like a very bad logictics concept to me. Producing the sets entirely and shipping them right away takes away no storage space, while keeping already produced sets outside their boxes just to pack them togehter some weeks later just doesn't make sense imo. And I think in that documentary from a LEGO factory they were showing that sets are being boxed in the last step, weren't they.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Just a note. Week 42 would be w/c 17/10 which funnily enough is when we started seeing the retiring soon labels popping up. So there's no proof of new runs since notification. just looks like the last batch has hit the shelves.

No need to panic yet. 

This sounds plausible. Someone from their IT-department must have stood next to the assembly line. Then, the minute the last set was boxed up he or she added the "retirung soon" tag on LEGO Shop at Home.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

It all depends on what they mean by 'soon'. We'd like to think it means tomorrow, but it probably just means January.

I still maintain that retiring soon means production has stopped and once whats left in the wild is gone, there's no more. 

If any of the retiring soon sets get a newer seal code than 42S6 then that theory gets blown out of the water and the conspiracy theorists can have at it but at the moment it makes sense from both a business and evidence point of view. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I still maintain that retiring soon means production has stopped and once whats left in the wild is gone, there's no more. 

If any of the retiring soon sets get a newer seal code than 42S6 then that theory gets blown out of the water and the conspiracy theorists can have at it but at the moment it makes sense from both a business and evidence point of view. 

Yeah, I would agree. What matters is when stocks dry up rather than when Lego can be bothered sticking a retired label on something. I just hope Lego doesn't go labeling sets as retired when other retailers are still well stocked up, or we'll have more Tumbler type fiascos on our hands.

We may even have that situation already with the retiring soon tags.

Edited by tractorboy

12 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

I just hope Lego doesn't go labeling sets as retired when other retailers are still well stocked up, or we'll have more Tumbler

That happens all the time. 
Brick Bounty, Hulk Lab Smash, Knowhere Escape Mission, Various agents sets, to name but a few, are all still available. 

Lego retired / retiring soon may give an indication on production, but it doesn’t reflect product availability.  

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

The Entertainer in Reading still has the Brick Bounty on the shelf. It also wouldn't surprise me if TRU have been stocking up on the 8 current "Retiring Soon" sets just to make us wait another year. I must admit, I'd do the same if I was them ;-) Stocks held by most retailers are now vast compared to what I noticed when I first started all this in 2008.

1 minute ago, feed said:

That happens all the time. 
Brick Bounty, Hulk Lab Smash, Knowhere Escape Mission, Various agents sets, to name but a few, are all still available. 

Lego retired / retiring soon may give an indication on production, but it doesn’t reflect product availability.  

Yeah definitely true with any sets stocked by The Entertainer.  Still waiting for them to shift their final 2 Imperial Hotels.

I just don't think the horde is hoovering up retiring soon sets with as much vigour as previous years. No one is screaming "there's gold in them there hills" this season.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Yeah definitely true with any sets stocked by The Entertainer.  Still waiting for them to shift their final 2 Imperial Hotels.

I just don't think the horde is hoovering up retiring soon sets with as much vigour as previous years. No one is screaming "there's gold in them there hills" this season.

I think the horde has reduced in numbers as there's been a few bailouts recently which I think is a good thing for when things eventually pick up. I'm also surprised why the Imperial Hotel is still available as it's another great FLW set.

17 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I think retailers, after the last couple of years, figured they didn’t need to discount to move retired stock.  A retired product tag on Lego would stimulate sales on left overs.  This will change, but it may take a couple of years for some to catch up.  

3 hours ago, tractorboy said:

Yeah, I would agree. What matters is when stocks dry up rather than when Lego can be bothered sticking a retired label on something. I just hope Lego doesn't go labeling sets as retired when other retailers are still well stocked up, or we'll have more Tumbler type fiascos on our hands.

We may even have that situation already with the retiring soon tags.

Well there is still several Imperial hotels at my local entertainer not going to bite at retail. So it more actual demand out there for the sets than overstocking.

Edited by Will 4