Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

Would be nice of them to mention Lego and 21104... that would make sales explode

these 2 articles mention lego and mars rover..but not the 21104 edition unfortunately..you would think the journalists (especially from bbc article) would have done enough background research to find out that there was a limited edition lego rover set already in existence (to contrast to the large robotic one they are planning)

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30052690

http://patch.com/connecticut/danbury/danbury-school-receives-scholarship-lego-robotics-project

• 2 months later...

Had to go digging for this thread, but does anyone care to offer any updates going into 2015 here? Very few of these on ebay, around $100USD for the cheapest. Sold listings around the $90 mark. Not nearly what some had predicted even 6 months ago. How much higher will it go? $150+ seems unlikely now, at least for quite some time. Could Lego bring it back this year like the RI? Sell now, or continue to hold longer term? Anyone care to re-ignite the discussion? 

Once it gets a retired tag in the US I think it will bump to $125 and should reach $150 this Christmas. Even if it stalls at $125 it's still only a $30 set that was released only 13 months ago. Its performance can't be described as anything but excellent.

I agree 100%. I bought 12 in June for $50 a piece. Sold two in December just shy of doubled my money. Pretty damn good for a 6 month investment.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

In Europe there is a fight between sellers and buyers regarding this set. Sellers want to have 130 Euro at least.

Buyers want to pay maximum 110 - 120 Euro.

So, Now I'm waiting who wins this competition... ;-)

I had the same impression. I sold two at 110 euro euro each. Getting more is very difficult to impossible.

But I cannot understand this fact as I have assumed that a lot of peaople who buy the newer Ideas sets would also want to buy the older ones from collectible point of view - I have only two possible explanations for that:

1. People don't see the Ideas sets as a one theme belongig together

2. People can live with some missing (= expensive) sets from one theme

But I cannot understand this fact as I have assumed that a lot of peaople who buy the newer Ideas sets would also want to buy the older ones from collectible point of view - I have only two possible explanations for that:

1. People don't see the Ideas sets as a one theme belongig together

2. People can live with some missing (= expensive) sets from one theme

There a few completionist who will have to have the rover as a part of the ideas theme or to go with the hiyabusa and other rover. Also there will always be someone out there with more money then they know what to Do with. They are the kind of people who buy our poverty priced collectibles. The person who bought my two over priced rovers was a professor at a university, thought that was interesting.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

That is why I was hoping for the Hubble to get approved, well to collect/build I like the way it looks, but also some possible cross-over interest in the rover. 

There are usually no more then 40 BIN listings on ebay some with multiples and auctions are rare.  I am waiting for it to flip to retired to see how the market reacts. I am sure there are those that are still holding out for another production run but the last time these were sold was in march 2014 for less then a day. 

But the question is if it does make a big sense to wait another months or is the maximum reached...?

I can remember that also Hayabusa has increased to 80 - 100 Euro and you could get this one for about one year. 

Since two or three months the price went up again to about 150 or more Euro...

But the question is if it does make a big sense to wait another months or is the maximum reached...?

I can remember that also Hayabusa has increased to 80 - 100 Euro and you could get this one for about one year. 

Since two or three months the price went up again to about 150 or more Euro...

Then you should sell a few now and then. I had seven and sold already two. I have five left now and wait what happens. 

You know the saying: "Better one bird in the hand than ten in the air".