Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

Offer on eBay of $50:

I'm a student in NYC who just finished an MFA program in fiction writing. I was given a small grant to fly to Pasadena and visit NASA's JPL and interview scientists and see the REAL rover. I just want to assemble this! Broke! Not a collector! Please

Uh, okay, let's see.... $50 minus fees and initial cost of $30 will net me less than $10... Hmmm....

Question: How does one see the real rover if the rover is on Mars?

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

If the "hard luck" story is genuine then he should contact Lego direct who will often help as they did with that boy that wanted a train that went EOL as soon as he saved up enough money for it.

LOL "I'm a student in NYC who just finished an MFA program in fiction writing" who writes fiction on eBay - lying arse!

They would have built two, as it would be more cost effective.

It's probably also useful to have an identical second test unit on hand to aid in potential problem solving, should the need arise.

Good call!  Reminds me of the movie Contact where they had built TWO machines...

contact-Hokaido-wormhole-device.jpg

Offer on eBay of $50:

I'm a student in NYC who just finished an MFA program in fiction writing. I was given a small grant to fly to Pasadena and visit NASA's JPL and interview scientists and see the REAL rover. I just want to assemble this! Broke! Not a collector! Please

Uh, okay, let's see.... $50 minus fees and initial cost of $30 will net me less than $10... Hmmm....

No.  He's just trying to buy enough of these at a cheap cost and sell them to pay for college - because he's batman broke.

Another possibility is that he's going to make a nice tidy profit selling these and build his own spaceship.  When he reaches mars, the curiosity rover will detect him and go bazerk.  All the scientists at NASA will jump off their chairs with excitement because they finally see some life on mars.  (I think it would be easier to start a kickstarter project, though.)   :D

Edited by Noodlenut
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Tell him you are a rich investor and will give him a huge grant to see the REAL Rover on Mars.

It may be in a Studio on Earth for all we know and the media just tells us this thing is on Mars.  This may be why familiar looking "artifacts" pop up in photos.

• 4 weeks later...

When would be the time to sell this set? Now? Or should I wait longer? Price on ebay is already nice and there are only a few on sale. So should not be too difficult to sell.

Depending on how many you have, I would sell a few this Christmas, and wait till next Christmas to sell a majority of them. I think the price will level off around $150-$175 after next Christmas, so there would be no reason to hold it longer.

• Like 2

Depending on how many you have, I would sell a few this Christmas, and wait till next Christmas to sell a majority of them. I think the price will level off around $150-$175 after next Christmas, so there would be no reason to hold it longer.

True to this. There are not that many things in my portfolio I'm nearly certain will increase in value this much in the next year. Don't be in a huge hurry to sell.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Would be nice of them to mention Lego and 21104... that would make sales explode