Update on New Forum!!

Guest eightbrick

I've noticed a slight problem, I can't auto log in now, if I open the site and am already logged in I have to relog in before posting.... everything else is great!

I've noticed a slight problem, I can't auto log in now, if I open the site and am already logged in I have to relog in before posting.... everything else is great!

We are still working on something issues with the login.  The auto login should was untouched for the main site so you should have no issue logging in there.  As for the forum, we will figure that out once we get passed some of things.  It will get straightened out.  

Everything here is right.  Josh, create an album and feel free to share.  Fcb..... is correct, Ed and I want to have a little personal touch for people to have a place to share their collection, investments, the family having fun with LEGO.  Anything that makes LEGO important to you and share it since it is a big part of many of our lives.

Like Jeff said, the Gallery section is there for everyone's enjoyment.  MOCs and custom sets are a possibility, as are pictures of your storage areas or collection.  Anything really goes, just keep it interesting and LEGO related.  

IrishGuy likes what he sees.... I have to ask though.... is this the end of BlackJack?

It's up to Blackjack...isn't it?  There is just some simple forum etiquette that needs to be followed.  I am not just talking about Blackjack either...just in general.  Here are some simple tips:

:wacko: Think before you post something.  If there is a question that you have, can a little research answer a question before it is posted?

<_< Can I phrase a post a certain or creative way to avoid be annoying?

:P Am I being respectful to other members...even if I disagree?

;) Is my forum filter on?

These are nothing new, but if followed, other members will value and respect your opinions much more...

Guest eightbrick

Used the YouTube video implementer-device-thingy and it works like a wonder. The whole place is as good as, if not better than, the Eurobricks forum, and I love it all. Perhaps it will increase site usage.

(edited on May 28 as my original post contained a pre-answered question)

Guest eightbrick

Many members have asked for age restrictions on the site or private forums. I am starting to wonder if that has some merit.

As a teenager I feel obliged to protest. Due to age-restrictions on lots of other sites (eg. Brickset, Eurobricks) this is the only Lego community site I can join, and I am very pleased to be a part of it. I think that the new limited-tolerance rules for off-topic and immature comments should please the members wanting age restrictions sufficiently as long as the rules are properly enforced, if that is not enough perhaps an "ignore" function? Don't ban an entire generation, because I'm sure there are many other youth like me who want to be contributing members to the site. Just my two cents.

As a teenager I feel obliged to protest. Due to age-restrictions on lots of other sites (eg. Brickset, Eurobricks) this is the only Lego community site I can join, and I am very pleased to be a part of it. I think that the new limited-tolerance rules for off-topic and immature comments should please the members wanting age restrictions sufficiently as long as the rules are properly enforced, if that is not enough perhaps an "ignore" function? Don't ban an entire generation, because I'm sure there are many other youth like me who want to be contributing members to the site. Just my two cents.

Don't fret...We have no intention of implementing age restrictions or private forums.  I was just irked at the time.   :angry:

I like the new awards system a lot. Emazers with his 007 emblem is just too cool. I wonder though, would it be possible to implement a system so we could click the award and see a list of all the members who have earned it?

Also, you teenagers are lucky, you get an award just for being wet behind the ears. Granted, it's a baby... <snicker>

would it be possible to implement a system so we could click the award and see a list of all the members who have earned it?

You can currently go to your profile page by clicking your avatar, then go to the Awards page, and from there you can mouse over the Times Awarded to see who received an award for that one. If you are talking about being able to simply click on the award and see a list of everyone that has earned one, that would be a good idea to consider I think.

• Like 1

The new forums look slicker than ever. Finally there is only one button on lower right to submit posts. I could not count how many times I clicked quick comment and then clicked the wrong button that brought me to the full editor instead of submitting the post.

The improvements are greatly appreciated

ETA: love the "like" counter

I did a search and could not find an answer, so here it is: On the old forum, when I "followed" a topic, I received one e-mail stating that there was a new post since I last looked and would not receive any further notifications until I had gone back to that thread. That's it - One. Now, when I choose to follow a topic, I get an e-mail everytime there is a new post, which fills up my e-mail rather quickly. Am I missing something?

Edit: Maybe the solution is to simply change to be notified daily versus instantly, but I would like to know that there is a new response since I last looked without waiting for a daily update.

Just a quick update.  I have just pushed some new login code about 30 minutes ago.  This seems to be getting people logged in a little better.  You will also notice that it is finally showing members that are logged in down at the bottom of the main forum index page.  I am going to let this go for a bit to see if it getting us into the right direction.  Again, I apologize in the trouble.  I am dealing with two development teams that are in two different parts of the world and trying to answers from to the other has taken a lot of time.  I think we are moving forward though.

Seems to be working for me now.  It was going haywire a few minutes ago, but I would assume that was the log-in work.

Just a quick update.  I have just pushed some new login code about 30 minutes ago.  This seems to be getting people logged in a little better.  You will also notice that it is finally showing members that are logged in down at the bottom of the main forum index page.  I am going to let this go for a bit to see if it getting us into the right direction.  Again, I apologize in the trouble.  I am dealing with two development teams that are in two different parts of the world and trying to answers from to the other has taken a lot of time.  I think we are moving forward though.

• 3 weeks later...

Took about 5 minutes to read through this thread that I missed, but I have to say...Amazing job on the forums, Macks!! Reading through all the new developments here is awesome! Maybe not staying up 18 hours to get it running, but I really appreciate your dedication, Jeff and Ed.

Though I would sincerely hate to have an age restriction on BrickPicker until I turn 18 or 21 or whatever the restriction would be, at times it is necessary, so in that sense I agree. However, I will point out, that there sometimes is an adult who is less mature than a teen.

Took about 5 minutes to read through this thread that I missed, but I have to say...Amazing job on the forums, Macks!! Reading through all the new developments here is awesome! Maybe not staying up 18 hours to get it running, but I really appreciate your dedication, Jeff and Ed.

Though I would sincerely hate to have an age restriction on BrickPicker until I turn 18 or 21 or whatever the restriction would be, at times it is necessary, so in that sense I agree. However, I will point out, that there sometimes is an adult who is less mature than a teen.

It's hard to implement an age restriction.  People would just lie.  I am more concerned about any member just being a positive influence on the site.  You don't have to like everything that Jeff or I do or other members for that matter, but when people disagree, simple constructive and polite criticism goes a long way.

I am not sure how this will come out on there, it may be too big, but here are some of the Ranks.   There are more coming, just not done yet :)

brickpicker_ranks.jpg

Will there be a FAQ detailing the different ranks for new members? I think the Eurobricks "EB User Groups and Tags" page is a good example in my opinion. Thanks.

Link: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33335

They sure have a lot of ranks

We have more basic ranks.  They have 7 and we have 11.  We will be adding some more.  All of our are based on "financial terms."  These rest of their different names are for moderators or special members.  As things mature around here and Jeff gets some extra time, we will add some more ranks and awards.

It's hard to implement an age restriction.  People would just lie.  I am more concerned about any member just being a positive influence on the site.  You don't have to like everything that Jeff or I do or other members for that matter, but when people disagree, simple constructive and polite criticism goes a long way.

Request upload of ID photo...

just like the gambling websites do...

simple fix, if that would be Brickpickers biggest concern that is.

But I personally see no good reason to not allow underaged members read about LEGO lol :D

We have more basic ranks.  They have 7 and we have 11.  We will be adding some more.  All of our are based on "financial terms."  These rest of their different names are for moderators or special members.  As things mature around here and Jeff gets some extra time, we will add some more ranks and awards.

That's fine, I said it because I actually think they have too many.

That's fine, I said it because I actually think they have too many.

I tend to agree; the list is long and confusing. Two different kinds of administrators? Moderators and Regulators? A bunch of tags around the bottom of that section are not even explained as to what they are for, and the rank names make little sense to me or have anything to do with Lego. On the plus side from looking at those ranks and amount of posts required to reach them, it seems like all I need is a few hundred more to go up another! post-2081-0-29169800-1372400617.gif