21018 - United Nations Headquarters

TheOrcKing

8 minutes ago, jaxman said:

It's sitting at $67 here in the states.  I can still find them in the wild too at Barnes & Noble.  Villa Savoye's too.

This is true for me as well. I nabbed three retired Architecture sets at B&N last week: Brandenburg Gate, UN Headquarters, and Imperial Hotel. With my 10% member discount and using a discounted gift card to pay, I figured it was a good deal for retired sets.

27 minutes ago, Jivepicnic said:

This is true for me as well. I nabbed three retired Architecture sets at B&N last week: Brandenburg Gate, UN Headquarters, and Imperial Hotel. With my 10% member discount and using a discounted gift card to pay, I figured it was a good deal for retired sets.

My local BAM has them as well.  I'm using the BAM 10% and new member coupons to do the same.  I grabbed 2x UN HQ ($38 each)a few weeks ago and will go back for more after I see what's left in my coffers after WM/Target sales this month.

Edited by Sfcommando14

With this set being retired at the end of 2015, it finally seems to be drying up at retailers.

We are less than one year in, and the set is already showing strides that it will be in the green.

I can see this one settling in around $75 after its first complete year from retirement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hope people aren't expecting this to go up in price very soon (like maybe years). Just checked the Amazon listing and the two sellers with the lowest prices are the big, big boys (Toy Planet and Blue Proton). Between the two of them, they have a minimum of 1250+ units at Amazon with Blue Planet having more than 1000 (more than the Amazon shopping cart allows).

Gotta wonder now about the Architecture theme in general. The latest batch of retired sets haven't set the world on fire and resellers with that much inventory gotta give small timers like most of us nightmares.

Blue Proton has listings up for over 400 different sets, each of them at around 50% above RRP. I theorize that each of these is a placeholder where if they sell the one unit they have at FBA, they then send a mountain of that set in.

If you can't make money at 50% above RRP, I'd suggest that you exit stage right.

2 minutes ago, pete411 said:

Blue Proton has listings up for over 400 different sets, each of them at around 50% above RRP. I theorize that each of these is a placeholder where if they sell the one unit they have at FBA, they then send a mountain of that set in.

If you can't make money at 50% above RRP, I'd suggest that you exit stage right.

How would one have a fba place holder ? 

1 minute ago, Bold-Arrow said:

How would one have a fba place holder ? 

Acquire hundreds of a set. Send a unit into FBA and with your targeted price. When that unit sells (could take a year or two), it means that the set has appreciated you can now proceed to send trucks of it in.

1 minute ago, pete411 said:

Acquire hundreds of a set. Send a unit into FBA and with your targeted price. When that unit sells (could take a year or two), it means that the set has appreciated you can now proceed to send trucks of it in.

right, but how would quantity show in the 900s FBA if it is not actually there.

3 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

right, but how would quantity show in the 900s FBA if it is not actually there.

They send the huge quantity in when their first unit sells for the targeted price. They're dealing in so much quantity that they don't have the time to check prices on each of their sets so they just need to wait and see that their placeholder sold. For the UN, they've already sent in their stock since their placeholder sold already.

Edited by pete411

The current pricing from both Blue Proton and Toy Planet is $64.91 so $15 above MSRP. That's only a 30% markup.

Current total FBA fees for a Pro account (no $0.99 per item sold fee) is $13.46 so that leaves a whole $1.50 profit if you are buying at MSRP and not paying any sales tax with a reseller certificate.

So, a 3% profit margin assuming you don't pay sales tax.

Say, you buy them at B&N with a 10% ($5) discount. Then you are making $6.50 or 13% profit. That's probably OK if you are dealing in high volume. And we haven't even talked about FBA inbound shipping or monthly storage fees or your time and gas to buy the sets.

I don't think the big boys are buying inventory with only a 10% discount and paying sales tax.

Of course, you can get them at a greater final discount by getting discounted B&N gift cards.

Just saying...that's for a "regular" person who doesn't have access to quantity, large amounts of capital/credit or LEGO wholesale pricing.  You are just a barnacle living in the crevices of a whale.