21018 - United Nations Headquarters

TheOrcKing

2 hours ago, ChristopherJB said:

Talk about a sleeper. The reviews of this is great. Built one myself. I'm looking for ways to add flags to the flag poles.
Architecture series in general do well EOL. I thought the Rockefeller was junk when I bought it, bunch of brown bricks looking like jenga blocks. Look at the price of that now. UN has been out for a shorter shelf life (correct me if I'm wrong). This will move like the Guggenheim.

I'm afraid the cat's out of the bag on most of the architecture sets. We're all hoarding these now so you can't go by what's happened in the past anymore. This goes for pretty much everything that not named The Sea Cow. I still expect decent returns but the past is in the past.

On 2/3/2016 at 6:17 PM, pete411 said:

I'm afraid the cat's out of the bag on most of the architecture sets. We're all hoarding these now so you can't go by what's happened in the past anymore. This goes for pretty much everything that not named The Sea Cow. I still expect decent returns but the past is in the past.

"We're all hoarding these", who are the "we". The people I know of who stocked up on the Pet Shops, Grand Emporiums, DS, and Tumblers of the world are not the same ones stocking up on the UN building, Imperial Hotel, or Villa Savoye. If you go back through history, the Fallingwater took ages to wipe out after the "soon to retire" tag was out, and even after retirement, I saw loads of these at BN, same goes with the Guggenheim. Last year at a BN store in WA state, I was able to spot some Guggenheims and a beat up Robie House box. Yes, last year, meaning 2015. The same hoard that I know of had zero Architecture set, yet the same people are loading up Pet Shops which is still in stock. Go figure. Those same people dumped tonnes into GE and FB and not a penny into the Robie House.

I wouldn't overestimate the hoard. They are busy with Poe's X-wing fighter and some other SW sets at the moment.

I have doubts about hoards stocking this up. The architecture line is quite unique and caters to a specific niche. The VS, IH and UN have really flown under the radar as the hype is on other sets at the moment. I've been watching the architecture thread since I stocked up on the Robie House. There were mixed feelings about the RH prior to retirement, now look what it's doing.

• Like 1

... the following I erroneously wrote as a reply in another topic (United States Capitol Building)... maybe someone will find it useful here.

I think the designer did an extraordinary job on this set. Have a look at the proportions; a picture comparison I just made using Google maps:

Lego United Nations

To achieve this likeness I'm sure a lot of thinking, testing and rebuilding had to be done. It's not perfect but no Lego set ever is; remember it's small and it's not a model kit. Dome looks good to me, as does the basin. To me the whole picture of Lego's United Nations is a lot more realistic than for example the 'Big Ben' whose clock faces look like they've had too much fish & chips, let alone the Pisa tower which doesn't come close to capturing the grandeur of the real thing. The United Nations set really does. 

Beside that, this set is amazingly fun to build, with lots of interesting techniques. Very satisfying. And it looks the part as well; all in all, I'm happy I've got a couple and I'm convinced this set will be sought-after item before too long. It's definitely one of my favorites in the architecture series, if not the top favorite.  

• Like 4

I found 2 of these 1/2 of for $25 at Meijer today. It looks really neat but I most likely will not build due to my negative views on the United nations in general. it would feel like I was supporting them or something if I display this. Maybe I'm wrong and it would be a cool build.

29 minutes ago, Salimr said:

I found 2 of these 1/2 of for $25 at Meijer today. It looks really neat but I most likely will not build due to my negative views on the United nations in general. it would feel like I was supporting them or something if I display this. Maybe I'm wrong and it would be a cool build.

Could have been $22.50 if you had waited until midnight in purchasing them :) <just teasing> .. or should that be $20 (not sure if the 10% coupon comes off the clearance price or off the original retail price) ... all kidding aside, great find!

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Could have been $22.50 if you had waited until midnight in purchasing them :) <just teasing> .. or should that be $20 (not sure if the 10% coupon comes off the clearance price or off the original retail price) ... all kidding aside, great find!

10 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I was scared they would not be there. The more I look at it the more I think I should build 1 :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Salimr said:

I was scared they would not be there. The more I look at it the more I think I should build 1 :) 

I know a Meijer that is/was sitting on 2 for the last month at no discount whatsoever. Hoping to score one or both tomorrow morning using the coupon - would be great to see them discounted as well :)

13 hours ago, Salimr said:

Darn politics, eh?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Salimr said:

So am I supporting the dark side by buying a Death Star? :derisive:

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, henrysunset said:

I've built all the models in the Architecture series, and this is one of the best builds.  Further, if it helps, you can think of it as a celebration of architect Oscar Niemeyer and Le Corbusier, rather than the United Nations organization which occupies the building. 

I don't know why some people have to bring politics into everything. Those are the kind of people I avoid in real life. It's a cool building. Period.

2 hours ago, MarxMarvelous said:

I don't know why some people have to bring politics into everything. Those are the kind of people I avoid in real life. It's a cool building. Period.

Well some people are interested in architects as well...

Btw I avoid people with a  negative attitude about almost everything. Give it a rest man :P

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sozial said:

Well some people are interested in architects as well...

Btw I avoid people with a  negative attitude about almost everything. Give it a rest man :P

Then avoid me and stop talking to me. :)

6 hours ago, MarxMarvelous said:

I was trying to avoid politics. That is why I am not sure I should display it. I have way too much to build anyway so most likely not worth my time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Your future identified market is miniscule: UN employees (who are interested in Lego).

I'd simply track performance of the set over the next year and then make a decision whether to hold further or offload.

Can count that target market probably on one hand. Politicians are not the target demographic for Lego