8110 - Mercedes-Benz Unimog U 400

glucapg

I see alot of people on my local craig's list desperately trying to sell it. Some people cannot afford to tie in such cash for a longer period of time. Then when the price is not going way up they panic and try to sell cause they think it is a dud. When the impatient have sold their inventory the patient will come into play.

What's the matter with this set, I looked at the sold listings on eBay yesterday and it seems the price instead of picking up as we're in the Christmas shopping frenzy is actually going downhill... I can't figure it out! It's an awesome set this one, whats wrong with people!

I believe that Ed or Jeff once made a really nice post or wrote an article about this. The 'problem' is that these large/retired/exclusive sets don't spike up in price in December and sometimes they dip down. The price then climbs back up in Jan-Feb. this is because Xmas shoppers are mostly looking for presents for kids and it is all about what is hot at that time. The AFOL oriented sets get picked up after Xmas when people spend some of their GC or Xmas cash gifts on them self. Xmas shopping on toys is mostly for kids. The AFOLs buy for them selves afterwards.

• Like 1

Big technic sets are serious stuff, or at least the theme pretend to be so. Teenagers are ok to buy construction technic sets but are less appealed with sport cars, for example.

The unimog is cute but come on, it looks like a cartoon truck. The real truck looks the same but it's not enough.

I think that's the reason why people are not that ok to spend such a high price (RRP and more).

It's not because it's hoarded (it certainly is), but because I think that demand is lower compared to the other big yellow construction sets (crane, bulldozer, etc.).

Edited by biniou

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I received a Unimog for Christmas and I spent today building it. I finally finished it and it is amazing, a real beauty. Then I played with the PTO and they worked great. When I went to use the Pneumatics they would not work. I can not figure out what is wrong. I checked the lines and the motor is spinning the cylinder that produces pressure but nothing is happening. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Thoughts on the impact of 42043 Mercedes Benz Arocs 3245 will have on this set? Do Technic collectors want like make vehicles or will this hurt it as the new set is larger piece count?

I don't have data to back it up, but my gut reaction was that this is great. Like Ferrari nuts, I would think a Mercedes fan would want all of the vehicles. They are sort of funky vehicles that aren't familiar in the US, but I am assuming for the world market this will be a good thing regardless of piece count. I think the inclusion of Power Functions never hurts long term either.

Certainly hoping others will also register their take.

Thoughts on the impact of 42043 Mercedes Benz Arocs 3245 will have on this set? Do Technic collectors want like make vehicles or will this hurt it as the new set is larger piece count?

Not the same vehicule at all, both are official and from the same brand, so it might help the unimog or not arm it for the least.

Note that the B-model of the unimog is cool IMO and the new city snow plow truck (#60083) could help the unimog a little too (this city set is great, and I can imagine that some guys would want to build a bigger and motorized model).

Guest TabbyBoy

I also don;t think that 42043 with harm 8110.  However, 8110 isn't exactly reaching for the stars and I'd like to get rid of my last one right now.  The only problem is that it's at the back of the attic with over 1,000 sets stacked in front!  That's because it was my very first investment set.

I also don;t think that 42043 with harm 8110.  However, 8110 isn't exactly reaching for the stars and I'd like to get rid of my last one right now.  The only problem is that it's at the back of the attic with over 1,000 sets stacked in front!  That's because it was my very first investment set.

must be quite a sight, hehe

I am going to have to disagree with you guys. I recently got back into lego, specifically technic and space (no star wars). I really liked the unimog and have been watching it but did not feel it was worth 300$ vs some of the other sets I had yet to get. Now with the arocs coming out I could care less about the 'mog. The new model has new pneumatic pieces, more parts, and in my opinion looks better than the 'mog. The number of people who are lego fans and also big Mercedes fans and have to have all the Mercedes models is probably so small its not worth mentioning statistically. And no regular collector of technic will pay more for a unimog than an arocs, while the arocs is in production. So I believe it will affect the 'mog in that it will cap its price under the arocs ($250). I would pay $200 for a mog personally, no more than that, and I would have to really think about $200. I will however be buying an arocs when I can get it at amazon ~20% off.

BTW a guy over at eurobricks is gifted at building models from photos and has built the preliminary arocs for viewing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

(the following quote is a copy/paste from the 9394 crawler topic)

The Unimog is underperforming compared to other Technic flagships

In my opinion, the Unimog is not a great looking set. It never appealed me, and it seems like I'm not the only one who think the same way. It's a truck you could imagine is driven by a clown. Mercedes or not, accurate or not with the real model: It just looks stupid. Let's face it. Standard resellers offers I guess, and lower demands. That's the reason why it's not performing as well as the others sets. That's why I decided to get rid of this one.

Maybe it will go up to 350

Can't we all just agree that the high days of lego investing are behind us? Too many competition and too many competitors selling for "small" profit? Patience has died slowly and painfully. If sets were less hoarded and hoarders would hoard acceptable amounts of a set this all would not happen. Looking at how many 8110's are available still on ebay makes my head spin. You can even find the 8110 in toyshops at RRP if you want. Nobody buys them. There are just too many hoarded for a niche market. I am generally a patient guy. I do not go out and sell my Town Halls already cause I can more than double my investment. I will wait patiently till it becomes rare. But, like Biniou said, for the Unimog to become rare it can still take a year or two. And than he is right. Better to put your money elsewhere.

What I have learned lately is that when people here say set X will do good cause the previous one from years ago was a success I will pass. Cause everyone will jump on it like flies. 

Lego investing is about buying cheap and wait patiently for it to grow. But if a set is overhoarded you can wait like forever. 

• Like 2

Can't we all just agree that the high days of lego investing are behind us? 

This. More people bought unimogs to resell than previous technics. 4x4 is catching up but will plateau once people can make $100 profit on it. If I sell unimogs now I'll make $100 a set, nothing to complain about. 

As rfish stated, I, too, think, the Unimog won't be replaced. Of course there are similar models coming up. For collectors a model and a similar model is not the same, they both are worth collecting. So, there is no narrow time frame you fear to unload all of a certain set within a blink of an eye or otherwise sit on it forever. As long as we talk about sets that won't be refreshed (and to be honest, one doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to predict these ones).

Of course expectations have to be lowered, but that discussion already was lead months and years ago (yes, on brickpicker. look it up). There are still many possibilities to make it right and net decent returns still...

Will the scarcity of a certain set have influence on its growth in value? Of course. But just because there are 50 auctions on ebay at the moment considering the Unimog doesn't mean there are still always 50 auctions at the end of 2015, 2016, 2017 aso.

There will be a time when this items becomes scarce, and that is not in a too distant future...

And the argument: last year, Green Grocer for only 400

Well... I appreciate your enthusiasm... I have to say that. But just compare the ROI of the 3368 City Space Centre with the 8110 Unimog. They retired both at about the same time I believe. The Space Centre RRP was what... 50 euro? It is still selling at 150 euro now. Are there many online? No. It is successful due to it being scarce. I feel safe to say also it was not hoarded as much. 

Am I exaggerating? Maybe yes. But things aren't getting better either. 

Just my 0.02

• 6 months later...