8110 - Mercedes-Benz Unimog U 400

glucapg

The thing about the Unimog or any large Technic set is that they will appreciate very well in most cases, but it takes a little longer.  The main advantage a Technic reseller has over other themed resellers is that less people invest in these sets, so there is less competition.  At the same time, there is also less interest in the theme from LEGO fans in general, so pick your poison.

The thing about the Unimog or any large Technic set is that they will appreciate very well in most cases, but it takes a little longer.  The main advantage a Technic reseller has over other themed resellers is that less people invest in these sets, so there is less competition.  At the same time, there is also less interest in the theme from LEGO fans in general, so pick your poison.

One other advantage of investing in TECHNIC: You know pretty sure when sets retire.

How can you say cagr is low... I mean it is but the set has been retired for what 6 months.... Wait two or three years. Or if you are that worried sell them to me for what you paid for and I'll pay shipping. Patience my young grasshoppers

Wait, hxckid88 is preaching patience ? What's next ? Hell freezes over ? Pigs flying ? :D :D :D

There is a scheme behind the biggest technic sets. They are available for one more season than the rest of the technic line (they disappear around christmas ( +/- 2 months)) the following year after the small sets are gone EOL. In Europe they are very popular but available for a long time after their EOL due to many retail stores having them in stock. Sometimes it takes one more christmas for them to vanish from all shelves, but then the growth in value starts and is consistently rising.

I noticed that with the Unimog, the excavator 8043, truck 8258 and even smaller sets (around the 100

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I was wondering about investment (I do not fear about losing money: it's about making a low ROI) and while big construction sets (yellow bricks) do great when EOL and are no brainers, for vehicules like 4x4, cool trucks or other vehicules, it's not the same.

I don't know where to put that unimog. It's not a racing car or a 18 wheeler, but it's not a crane or a bulldozer either.

Maybe to stick it whith the "trucks + option" categorie (crane, container, etc.) ? Like 8071, 8109, 8052, 8258, 8273...

Nice CAGR but few sells at the same time (because not really seeked after ? or because few investors with it ? I don't have a clue)

FYI... MSRP was 199.99

I don't know where to put that unimog. It's not a racing car or a 18 wheeler, but it's not a crane or a bulldozer either.

Put it to: "licensed by Mercedes Benz set" and "flagship set" ... IMO it doesn't stick to that "yellow construction set" "racing" "truck" etc. kind of scheme because it is a flagship (of 2011) and these ones seem to follow their own path of success (you only need patience, nothing else...) :derisive:

I'm a huge fan of this set, my gut feeling is that this will be the last of the pneumatic technic Lego's as the power function actuators are so much easier to produce and apply to models. If this holds true then the next 24 months could be extremely profitable for the Unimog.

Stu.

I can see that the service truck (42008 - 2013) has some pneumatic functions included (the same which are used in the unimog BTW).

http://brickset.com/parts/design-10554

http://brickset.com/parts/design-99798

• 2 weeks later...

^Haha!

I am pretty underwhelmed at this set so far, its been gone 8 or 9 months now I think and still hasn't done much. I remember the large excavator set jumped to $299 right after eol and now it is over $400, I was hoping for equal or better returns with 8110, we will have to keep waiting, they are slowly selling off ebay.

^Haha!

I am pretty underwhelmed at this set so far, its been gone 8 or 9 months now I think and still hasn't done much. I remember the large excavator set jumped to $299 right after eol and now it is over $400, I was hoping for equal or better returns with 8110, we will have to keep waiting, they are slowly selling off ebay.

Too many people were able to get it below MSRP, so they are affecting the supply. I think Christmas will tell us better what to expect for this set