8110 - Mercedes-Benz Unimog U 400

glucapg

I am pretty underwhelmed at this set so far, its been gone 8 or 9 months now I think and still hasn't done much. I remember the large excavator set jumped to $299 right after eol and now it is over $400, I was hoping for equal or better returns with 8110, we will have to keep waiting, they are slowly selling off ebay.

In the UK Unimog sales have been around the

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree that the crawler LE has pretty much peaked and now it is the turn of its older brother 9398 to retire and compete with it on the secondary market.

The unimog is a tough one to call (I have heard rumours that there will be another Mercedes licensed Technic set in the summer) because the hoarder to buyer ratio seems to be skewed for what is an expensive

Just hold your positions on the 8110 Unimog. There are still alot on ebay and my local Craig's list. Indeed alot of impatient investors I guess. I expected after the 2014 X-mas frenzy to be much less for sale. But maybe I am/was too optimistic. Maybe 2016 is the way to go. Anyway, I have enough things I want/need to get ridd off. And Unimog is not one of them. 

The 8110 Unimog is amazing but as every other big Technic set it needs time. Indeed the returns are pretty mediocre at the minute, so give it time. I am holding to mine as I am in no rush for money, they can wait until the prices matures nicely...

Bare in mind this is a niche set, it is predominantly boys (men) into cars and mechanical stuff that buy these things. Proper nerd stuff, but true Lego fans! :))) 

the 41999 is still pulled back due to the availability of the 4x4 Crawler. Once the crawler retires, the 41999 will start appreciating properly...

• 3 weeks later...

1) hoarders outnumber  buyers on this one so supply and demand laws take effect

2) you need to wait more than 2 years for Technic sets to appreciate over MSRPas they were heavily discounted -you need to wait for a new gen of AFOLs

3) The Volvo is a more fun alternative and till recently the Crawler was available for a similar price.

With patience this one will do well in the long run but people looking for immediate return  should look in other places than Technic.