• United Kingdom
    • Ireland
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • Antarctica

I'm 38 , single who gets to indulge his childhood pleasure. My era is the 1980s and I mainly buy bulk lots to split into sets or parts and sell on. This has allowed me to build some sets that I never got when was a kid. Originally from New Zealand now living in the UK. PS I owe my god daughter some parts I 'borrowed' to complete a 6930 mission control.

31 year young female here - a FAFOL? Personally not offended by anything, other than the fact I'd already taken the poll when kermando said there were no young females. 31 is NOT OLD, and I won't be told otherwise!!! (Now get off my lawn, you're distracting me from my crochet). Anyway, on a more sensible note, I've often thought that at least part of the male/female divide can be explained by retailers' attitudes towards Lego. I've never really understood the need to allocate Lego to one gender or another (as far as I'm concerned, it caters to both equally well and has done since I was a kid), but outside of an official Lego store, you'll more often than not find sets stocked under 'Boys Toys', with the obvious exception of Friends which lives in 'the pink aisle'... I just wonder if a lot of young girls miss(ed) out on the whole range of Lego simply because it's not stocked in 'their section', so they don't have the same opportunity to make a big connection with it like young boys do. Thus there are less FAFOLs around - though maybe that's something we'll start to see change with the success of the Friends series.

31 year young female here - a FAFOL? Personally not offended by anything, other than the fact I'd already taken the poll when kermando said there were no young females. 31 is NOT OLD, and I won't be told otherwise!!! (Now get off my lawn, you're distracting me from my crochet).

Anyway, on a more sensible note, I've often thought that at least part of the male/female divide can be explained by retailers' attitudes towards Lego. I've never really understood the need to allocate Lego to one gender or another (as far as I'm concerned, it caters to both equally well and has done since I was a kid), but outside of an official Lego store, you'll more often than not find sets stocked under 'Boys Toys', with the obvious exception of Friends which lives in 'the pink aisle'...

I just wonder if a lot of young girls miss(ed) out on the whole range of Lego simply because it's not stocked in 'their section', so they don't have the same opportunity to make a big connection with it like young boys do. Thus there are less FAFOLs around - though maybe that's something we'll start to see change with the success of the Friends series.

How true, Cheeka! I noticed that at one of my local Targets, Legos are right inbetween the Nerf Gun aisle and the Sports Equiptment Aisle, suggesting that Legos are more of a "Guy thing". Maybe if Friends sets were around the Barbie section, we would see more females around here. I also noticed that not all stores carry Friends, but almost all carry City, LOTR, SW, and Marvel Super Heroes.

I only said one thing...not really meant to be immature. I just find it ironic how Lego investing is mainly populated by males. Even though some of the best current investments (friends) are targeted more towards females. Not really immature..

There have been many minor comments the last week or so that didn't really impress me as being fair and carefully stated. There was not one particular comment or person to whom I am referring to or I would warn that person in private.

My statement was just in general, but served as a warning as well. I am the first person to crack a joke or be sarcastic and don't want to be some tight ass moderator, but everyone must understand that there are all types of people on this site. Very young, very old, all races and nationalities, male, female and somewhere in between I'm sure. It's all good. People just need to make sure they are careful the way they present their ideas and topics and that it will not offend someone.

I've had my fill of some negative attitudes and will weed those characters out in time. People can constructively disagree without being nasty or insulting. I want to keep this site fun and friendly, which it has been for 99.9% of the time.

That is all... :-)

Ed

• Like 3

I agree...just because your a youngster, don't act like a youngster. This is a great site and let's keep it mature, professional, and friendly. As a hardcore investor/Collector like myself, this and another LEGO site is the only site I visit.

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO WHEN YOU WRITE IN LOWER CASE LETTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poll does indicate a bit of a sausage fest

And then some people try to convince me that Female lego investing is alive and LEGO consuming, its a male ''sport'' and a male sport it will remain for many years i bet.

This poll is the proof allthough a small or tiny one.

Any cohorts here from Dallas? Also as a side note I discovered from my MTG days... I usually found people in the US will claim to be from a big city like Dallas, LA, New York etc but they are actually from a suburb or close city. People from Europe always just told you exactly what city their house is in regardless or whether or not they were next to a big/well known city. Always thought that was funny.

I'm from Arlington but you can drive from one side of FT Worth to one end of Dallas and it seems like you are in the same city, when in actuality you passed through 3 or 4

Wow I'm actually in Euless. We're probably 15 minutes from each other up Collins/157.

Small world.

Yeah I live 30 feet from gate D of cowboys stadium. I was just in your backyard yesterday playing golf at Texas Star.

Hahaha I grew up playing ball at Texas Star. I remember when they built that place and how amazing it was. Heck my first job was at Softball World.

Good to know you're so close. We'll have to exchange LEGO hot spots. Besides I need someone to help me build my Star Wars minifigure display lol.

Regards,

Cody

Poll does indicate a bit of a sausage fest

And then some people try to convince me that Female lego investing is alive and LEGO consuming, its a male ''sport'' and a male sport it will remain for many years i bet.

Alcarin, I hate to admit but I do agree with you for the moment. Not sure what will happen as LEGO introduces more "girl related themes". I will say, I am a female, and I have numerous sets that I have built and bought for investing, as you can see from my brickfolio. I have yet to build a Friend LEGO. Not that I wouldn't, I just like the "boy themes" better. I am a wife, mother and Granny to a wonderful family. I have a room with nothing but LEGO builds for decoration (which the Grandkids claim as their room). Most of which I have built myself, some with help from the Grandkids. It is a room that is a constant conversation for anyone visiting. While it may be a male "sport", there are some females playing on the field. I am really happy to have found this site, as many of my teammates have taught me a lot.

Hello fellow brickers. Just joined and found this site a wonderful resource to help evaluate my classic castle collection. So far so good! Glad that it is worth more than i have paid (minus shipping......:) Almost complete! Just a few more smaller sets and I'll have the entire 1984 plus Crusaders, Black Falcons collection :) OH RIGHT! where am I at? Calgary, Alberta, Canada!

Oh the times they are a changin' thankfully. Keep in mind, the poll is just for this very young site. I wonder what a similiar poll would look like on a site like Brickset, Eurobricks, MOCpages, or possibly even flickr. Those might just be for the collector/builder side of things over the investor part, but still would produce some interesting numbers I would think.

In the end, why is anyone even making a point about gender as though it actually mattered?

We may be equipped with different parts but everyone is equal.

Can we not just treat each other with courtesy and respect and have fun with it?

I thought UK = Europe, but hey people get different Geography classes than me I guess.

Anyway ofc US get most investors easily, because they get cheapest LEGO :)

UK = Europe??!! I dare you to fly here and stand in a street and say that :)

Its probably worse than saying to a Canadian, what part of the US are you from ;)

I also work for a company that spends most of its time in Lala land.

Its probably worse than saying to a Canadian, what part of the US are you from ;)

Please go to class of geography and ask any teacher what continent UK(well ok UK as the island not those foreign islands you have) belongs to and everyone will tell you EUROPE

simple as that :)

Please go to class of geography and ask any teacher what continent UK(well ok UK as the island not those foreign islands you have) belongs to and everyone will tell you EUROPE

Hehe. I agree. But you are unlikely to get any British euro-sceptic to agree though.

The game of risk also says is is Europe ( and so is Iceland for the matter :) ).

Hehe. I agree. But you are unlikely to get any British euro-sceptic to agree though.

The game of risk also says is is Europe ( and so is Iceland for the matter :) ).

Yep, I agree :P but Europe =/= European Union :)