• Ireland
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • Antarctica

1 hour ago, Suey12 said:

Good morning!  I'm a mom trying to help my teenage son sell some of his lego sets.  I have friends interested in some sets but I have no idea how to price them.  The price range is crazy online.   If anyone can point me in the right direction to get a normal price range, that would be awesome!  Thanks :-)

Post what you've got to sell here...we can help give you an idea of what they'll sell for

• Like 1

36 from Ohio.  Software developer by trade, but now I spend most of my time managing a hybrid team of developers and analysts.  Married to a wife who supports my hobby and business (except during Christmas time when it overtakes her office).  We have two daughters and one son.  My youngest daughter and son are into LEGO.  All three kids are into Minecraft.  My son still plays with LEGO but Minecraft dominates his time for the most part.

I escaped the Dark Ages in 2013.  My wife bought my son a Batcave on clearance at Walmart.  We built it over and over again.  Man that thing was fragile for a 3 year old.  For years I thought it would be fun to collect toys for my son to stash away for his future, mostly for nostalgia and maybe some appreciation.  I never really thought about LEGO, mostly just action figures and other toys.  I still wish I had my Dinoriders collection from years ago.  After we (re)built the Batcave 5 or 6 times, we started looking for other sets to purchase.  He got a few as gifts (Fire Chief was his favorite...I have a sealed copy of that still).  We quickly learned how expensive LEGO was so I started hunting for deals.  That's when I discovered Brickpicker in October of 2013.  We also got hooked on the BrickShow which introduced us to all the sets that I missed out on during my Dark Ages.  This is when I realized there was some investment potential with LEGO.  I started to browse Brickpicker on a daily basis and like most of us, became hooked.

My first dose was the Walmart $10 price mistake.  Sure, I feel a little guilty about it now but that was the beginning.  Most of my items were cancelled but I had fun traveling to different Walmarts to pick up orders.  It was rather entertaining.  I still have a few of those sets because I didn't really learn to appreciate the art of the QFLL (still haven't).

The kids really got into LEGO after that, mostly because I was buying a ton of it.  We started a BrickLegacy YouTube channel but that didn't really take off.  I still post on Instagram '@' BrickLegacy so if you are into social media I'd love to connect with you on there.

I've really enjoyed my time on Brickpicker.  I've met a few friends on here that really helped me get started.  I'll never forget how everyone came together to help inspire a child with bone cancer.  That experience was one of the highlights of my life.  I wish we could create more of that on here.

My venture so far had its ups and downs but I'm learning a lot.  I'm still having fun and developing some friendships that wouldn't be possible without Brickpicker.  I'm really looking forward to receiving my copy of the Ultimate Guide to Collectible LEGO Sets. I really enjoy learning about the investing side of this hobby.  I appreciate everyone's support and responsiveness to my questions on the forum.  Hopefully I've returned the favor in a minor way from time to time.  I try to help, but I'm not really a savvy deal hunter.  I've written a few scripts to pick off a few deals, but most of my intel is rather boring: buy exclusives, sell exclusives, and capitalize on some crazy deals from time to time.

If you'd like to connect, please reach out to me on Instagram or PM here.  I always enjoy talking about LEGO whether its investing, building or collecting.  If you are just getting started, I'm happy to help you out.

• Like 2

Hi Suey12

To prevent spam from getting into the forums, members have to post 3 times and have the posts approved. You've reached that threshold. :)

You can also use the LEGO Lot Calculator here http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/lego_lot_price_calculator.cfm to get an idea of the overall value for yourself. Of course condition, instructions, rarity will all matter for the overall value. Also, remember that selling as a lot usually implies that the price of the whole is less than the sum of it's parts if you want a quick easy sale. :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Suey12 said:

I posted my list but it says it's "hidden"  I'm not sure how this site works.

It was hidden because members are not allowed to post items for sell in the forums. I know it wasnt your intention to sell them in the forums but listing them infers you are open to offers and you would probably be solicited through private messages. Best advice is to look up the sets in the price guide to get a general idea of what the sets are worth.

24 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

It was hidden because members are not allowed to post items for sell in the forums. I know it wasnt your intention to sell them in the forums but listing them infers you are open to offers and you would probably be solicited through private messages. Best advice is to look up the sets in the price guide to get a general idea of what the sets are worth.

I only listed them because another member said to list them and folks could help me figure stuff out.  I did use the price checker for the 4 sets that my friend is interested in.  Thanks :-)

22 minutes ago, Suey12 said:

I only listed them because another member said to list them and folks could help me figure stuff out.  I did use the price checker for the 4 sets that my friend is interested in.  Thanks :-)

I know we just have to apply the same rules to everyone.........you didnt do anything wrong. If you have any questions about the sets or having problems finding a set you can PM me and I will be happy to help. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

I know we just have to apply the same rules to everyone.........you didnt do anything wrong. If you have any questions about the sets or having problems finding a set you can PM me and I will be happy to help. 

Thanks!  I was worried that the price I gave her (used lot pricing) was too high and she was thrilled with the price I gave her! Darn it, should've asked for more! ha ha

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Ollie here, 30 from Surrey in the UK. Been building Lego from a very young age but finally realised the value in it. Bought the Ultimate Millennium Falcon when it first came out and built it straight away, was definitely the longest build i've ever done and incredibly fun. Definitely wish i'd bought another one to keep boxed up!

Just started buying on an investment basis this week and slowly reading the forums taking in advice. Low level investor so far but looking to build up a good collection of boxed sets. Started with 2 Birds which i received yesterday, bought 2 Pet Shops last night, looking forward to them shipping when they are back in stock, really want to build one and keep one boxed but might manage to control myself...

Have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, nearly 49 from Wisconsin and looking forward to getting Legos for my birthday!  I was what I call a "Lego kid" in the 70s.  My brother and I received several sets and just "big boxes of Legos" at Christmas and birthdays.  I ended up with all of them!  Fortunately my mom saved them in a big box in the cupboard, and at some point she gave me the box.  We had many classic sets from the mid-70s: 580 Brick Yard, 555 Hospital, 585 Police Headquarters, and my favorite and an amazing set at the time because it was my first minifigs with movable arms and legs 590 Engine Company No. 9.  I'll never forget our first Lego set from the early 70s was a small car and tow truck set we order with a coupon off the back of a Velveeta box!  That started the wonderful journey.  I'd say Legos definitely changed my life.  What a great construction toy that fuels the imagination.  I can remember at least one summer playing playing every day with Legos in our basement and an AM radio on.  Ah, the games I'd make up, and honing the analytical thinking skills.  I ended up getting a Ph.D. in chemistry.

The Legos were put away until the trains in 2002: 10020 Santa Fe Super Chief and cars.  I bought two engine sets and five car sets so that I could build all the variations of the cars.  I also collect Lionel trains, so this was a must-have set for me.  I can't even remember how I found out Lego was making these because I was not actively looking at Legos at the time, that I remember.  But, I did build my own small Lego train empire with the Santa Fe set and the BNSF freight engine and TTX cars.  I was then able to get out my old buildings (most of which were still together) and place them on the Lego train layout.  Now, it has become a Christmas tradition to get the Lego trains out and put them around the tree.  We've started buying the holiday sets, so we add a building each year.

I had not thought at all about the investment side of Legos until stumbling on this site in the last several months.  Oh, if I'd only kept the boxes for some of those sets!!!  It's the same with collecting Lionel trains, so I'm not surprised.  In the last couple of months I've purchased a few sets just for investment - in some cases I bought two sets so that I could build one an keep the other for future sale.  Of course, this all depends on me (and my daughters) resisting opening the sets and building! 

Thanks for a great site with lots of interesting stuff to learn from!  Thanks also to the owners for a great book (just got the Ultimate guide from Amazon last week).  Again, lots to learn and the time you spend to do all of this is greatly appreciated.  Happy building, and collecting!

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eastonlionel said:

Hi, nearly 49 from Wisconsin and looking forward to getting Legos for my birthday!  I was what I call a "Lego kid" in the 70s.  My brother and I received several sets and just "big boxes of Legos" at Christmas and birthdays.  I ended up with all of them!  Fortunately my mom saved them in a big box in the cupboard, and at some point she gave me the box.  We had many classic sets from the mid-70s: 580 Brick Yard, 555 Hospital, 585 Police Headquarters, and my favorite and an amazing set at the time because it was my first minifigs with movable arms and legs 590 Engine Company No. 9.  I'll never forget our first Lego set from the early 70s was a small car and tow truck set we order with a coupon off the back of a Velveeta box!  That started the wonderful journey.  I'd say Legos definitely changed my life.  What a great construction toy that fuels the imagination.  I can remember at least one summer playing playing every day with Legos in our basement and an AM radio on.  Ah, the games I'd make up, and honing the analytical thinking skills.  I ended up getting a Ph.D. in chemistry.

The Legos were put away until the trains in 2002: 10020 Santa Fe Super Chief and cars.  I bought two engine sets and five car sets so that I could build all the variations of the cars.  I also collect Lionel trains, so this was a must-have set for me.  I can't even remember how I found out Lego was making these because I was not actively looking at Legos at the time, that I remember.  But, I did build my own small Lego train empire with the Santa Fe set and the BNSF freight engine and TTX cars.  I was then able to get out my old buildings (most of which were still together) and place them on the Lego train layout.  Now, it has become a Christmas tradition to get the Lego trains out and put them around the tree.  We've started buying the holiday sets, so we add a building each year.

I had not thought at all about the investment side of Legos until stumbling on this site in the last several months.  Oh, if I'd only kept the boxes for some of those sets!!!  It's the same with collecting Lionel trains, so I'm not surprised.  In the last couple of months I've purchased a few sets just for investment - in some cases I bought two sets so that I could build one an keep the other for future sale.  Of course, this all depends on me (and my daughters) resisting opening the sets and building! 

Thanks for a great site with lots of interesting stuff to learn from!  Thanks also to the owners for a great book (just got the Ultimate guide from Amazon last week).  Again, lots to learn and the time you spend to do all of this is greatly appreciated.  Happy building, and collecting!

Keith

welcome to the site

Hey guys!

I'm almost 46 ( I know what I asking for on my upcoming birthday this year! :)

I work in the sales industry and sell promotional products. I am looking at turning a small additional profit from lego selling and found this great forum to learn and meet people that share my interests.

I live in a suburb of the Dallas/Ft Worth area in Texas.

Forgive me as I may over share, but I think it's about time.

37. Female. Boston metrowest suburbs. SAHM since 11/2009 when I had my fourth (and last) daughter and childcare would have been more than my income.

I have loved Lego since my youth. Mostly Pirates, a good amount of City and a few Space and Castle. I remember saving up my allowance, planning my next buy, while waiting for Bradlees to have a 20% off sale. It got so bad that in 5th grade I started skipping lunch to pocket the cash. My favorite, and most expensive set was the Black Seas Barracuda. I built it at least three times, but never managed to use all the pieces as older Lego instructions were more like playing "spot the differences" and a step of adding 20 black plates to various locations often ended in less than 100% accuracy. I still have most of them (and every box), but lost my Caribbean Clipper and Rock Island Refuge in the shuffle. My dark ages went from about 1992 to 2010. How did I end up here? Once I got back into Lego, I got REALLY into Lego. I have brought my kids to nearly every monthly mini build for the past 4 years, and even worked at the Lego store for 3 days back in 2011, but I hate retail. I have roughly 100k pieces of Lego over 250+ sets. Close to a year ago, I was rejected by WPI's grad school program and I tried to drown my disappointment in Lego. I bought close to $5k worth to make up for lost time and buy all the sets I've been eyeing. Now I have "sobered up" and am holding about $2k to sell at maturity (or at least get back what I've spent). 

I really like the forum so far. I must confess that the root of my animosity towards QFLL's is that they are making enough money to support their addiction while I am shamefully siphoning from the family budget. Nice to meet you!

• Like 7

Forgive me as I may over share, but I think it's about time.

37. Female. Boston metrowest suburbs. SAHM since 11/2009 when I had my fourth (and last) daughter and childcare would have been more than my income.

I have loved Lego since my youth. Mostly Pirates, a good amount of City and a few Space and Castle. I remember saving up my allowance, planning my next buy, while waiting for Bradlees to have a 20% off sale. It got so bad that in 5th grade I started skipping lunch to pocket the cash. My favorite, and most expensive set was the Black Seas Barracuda. I built it at least three times, but never managed to use all the pieces as older Lego instructions were more like playing "spot the differences" and a step of adding 20 black plates to various locations often ended in less than 100% accuracy. I still have most of them (and every box), but lost my Caribbean Clipper and Rock Island Refuge in the shuffle. My dark ages went from about 1992 to 2010. How did I end up here? Once I got back into Lego, I got REALLY into Lego. I have brought my kids to nearly every monthly mini build for the past 4 years, and even worked at the Lego store for 3 days back in 2011, but I hate retail. I have roughly 100k pieces of Lego over 250+ sets. Close to a year ago, I was rejected by WPI's grad school program and I tried to drown my disappointment in Lego. I bought close to $5k worth to make up for lost time and buy all the sets I've been eyeing. Now I have "sobered up" and am holding about $2k to sell at maturity (or at least get back what I've spent). 

I really like the forum so far. I must confess that the root of my animosity towards QFLL's is that they are making enough money to support their addiction while I am shamefully siphoning from the family budget. Nice to meet you!

Hey Poly- first I have to say it, "turn to the power of the dark side!" (QFLL)

Seriously though, I started this venture a bit like you. I got very overexcited when I re-discovered how much fun LEGO are, I bought up a little too much stock, so to speak, and so instead of holding sets for a long time, I started looking for alternatives. That combined with a Santas Workshop I had on hand meant I got straight into bricklink. From there, it was an easier slide to say- if I buy this, I can resell it immediately and make a little money, oh and if it doesn't work out, it also has a good part out value... Basically I'm just diversifying my LEGO investments in a way that makes sense for me.

One caution about Bricklink, I (at least) have found myself chasing piece counts since I got started. This has actually caused me to sometimes buy more than I should, in an effort to hit that next mark. Since you already have so many pieces, you might find it easier to start listing stuff you don't "need" from your collection. You could probably outfit a sizable bricklink store from what you already have.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I'm a 33 year old father of two (4 and 1) who recently woke up. I moved back to America and finally picked up my tub of Legos from my parents house around the time my daughter started moving into "big kid" Legos from duplos. I've now started my own new collection and try to fill in the missed sets on eBay and buy the new ones. To do this I'm starting to flip and invest to see if I can get the hobby to pay for itself. I'm in the suburbs of St Louis, though originally from Chicago. My favorite themes are Star Wars, marvel superheroes, and my old castle sets, though the recent scooby doo and jw had neat figures.

6 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Hello everyone. I'm a 33 year old father of two (4 and 1) who recently woke up. I moved back to America and finally picked up my tub of Legos from my parents house around the time my daughter started moving into "big kid" Legos from duplos. I've now started my own new collection and try to fill in the missed sets on eBay and buy the new ones. To do this I'm starting to flip and invest to see if I can get the hobby to pay for itself. I'm in the suburbs of St Louis, though originally from Chicago. My favorite themes are Star Wars, marvel superheroes, and my old castle sets, though the recent scooby doo and jw had neat figures.

Welcome to the site!

2 hours ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Welcome! Same story here, expanding my own collection and investing on a small base to see if the hobby pays itself...and....the interest is quite low, my banksavings are not increasing anyway so why not investing a little bit...

• Like 1