Why so serious? Have a laugh!: The Darth Raichu show

10 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

It's one of those parental decisions of whether to allow your child to use profanity or not. In our house, we decided not to filter our choice of words and allow them to use them in the house, but we taught them that there is a time and place for everything. They understand when it's ok and when it's not appropriate. 

Example: I call stupid drivers jacka$$es when I see them. I was driving my 4yo son home from preschool one day, and I growled when a driver cut me off. My son appropriately responded by saying, "That guy was a jacka$$!" I laughed out loud.

We've never had any problems with them cussing in public.

Yeah, this strategy does lead to some good conversations about what is appropriate to repeat sometimes in certain situations and what is not appropriate to repeat, ever. Source: listen to lots of rap with my son in the car.

15 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

It's one of those parental decisions of whether to allow your child to use profanity or not. In our house, we decided not to filter our choice of words and allow them to use them in the house, but we taught them that there is a time and place for everything. They understand when it's ok and when it's not appropriate. 

Example: I call stupid drivers jacka$$es when I see them. I was driving my 4yo son home from preschool one day, and I growled when a driver cut me off. My son appropriately responded by saying, "That guy was a jacka$$!" I laughed out loud.

We've never had any problems with them cussing in public.

yeah...I know I'm fairly conservative when it comes to cussing...if there is a scale between Flanders and Andrew Dice Clay...I am more on the Flanders side and my friends (more on the Diceman side) have been ribbing me about it for decades.  My problem is not cursing itself...but not being able to control it...came across many who simply can't control their language and I firmly believe that controlling what comes out of your mouth is a virtue...and practice starts early in life.

6 hours ago, gmpirate said:

My wife and I do not use foul language and consequently our kids don't either.

As far as my parents knew, i never cursed either, but around my friends, to quote a Christmas Story, I "worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay."

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

As far as my parents knew, i never cursed either, but around my friends, to quote a Christmas Story, I "worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay."

I get it, but if it were bad it would slip or I'd hear about it one way or another.

17 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

My problem is not cursing itself...but not being able to control it...came across many who simply can't control their language and I firmly believe that controlling what comes out of your mouth is a virtue...and practice starts early in life.

"Pure words beget a clean heart." is an adage that stuck with me since my teens. If I can get my point across without swearing then I do not, usually reserving the language for a punchline to a particular joke or the cursing because I am that infuriated. Even so I choose for myself not to curse (or at least self-censor as I have in the forums here).

The part of not being able to control it I can attest to in my own experiences of certain personalities (typically persons full of anger and resentment). Ones whom I have chosen to keep away from. I simply do not need nor want that kind of venom toxifying my well-being and state of mind anymore.

I do not remember how my household handled the subject of "adult language", but I imagine it was along some of the lines oneknightr stated.

18 hours ago, oneknightr said:

In our house, we decided not to filter our choice of words and allow them to use them in the house, but we taught them that there is a time and place for everything. They understand when it's ok and when it's not appropriate.

Understanding when such language is appropriate and to whom using those words is important as well. I mean, there are certain phrases a child should not direct at their parent or to a casual stranger walking by on the sidewalk.

17 hours ago, gmpirate said:

My wife and I do not use foul language and consequently our kids don't either.  I believe kids tend to follow what we do rather than what we tell them to do or not do.

I respect this. Many a parent out there with a troubling "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy.

• Bold-Arrow changed the title to Why so serious? Have a laugh!: The Darth Raichu show