Ideas #035: 21327 - Typewriter

Alpinemaps

I think there's a coolness factor that's ageless for say the Piano...but I think LEGO has jumped the shark a bit w/ this typewriter in terms of subject matter...I know it's adult focused...and especially 40+ old fogeys like us....but anyone 30 years or younger is gonna see this set and be wondering...wow..is LEGO going to make a set of a rock or pencil sharpener next? would be more interesting

I think there's a coolness factor that's ageless for say the Piano...but I think LEGO has jumped the shark a bit w/ this typewriter in terms of subject matter...I know it's adult focused...and especially 40+ old fogeys like us....but anyone 30 years or younger is gonna see this set and be wondering...wow..is LEGO going to make a set of a rock or pencil sharpener next? would be more interesting

You might be surprised. My 9 year old is *dying* to get a typewriter. I’ll have to ask him what he thinks about this set.

Of course with a $200 price point, that’s not exactly the target market….

24 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I kinda miss the sound a typewriter makes, and the ding when you go to the next line. 

Does anyone know how do people type mathematical symbols? I'm pretty sure I've seen a summation sign in old textbooks before.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

I 'member using a typewriter and needing to erase something. There was a special white out thingymajag and you would back up and strike over what you typed with the white out film. Fun times.

Remember when the best technology breakthrough was white out that dried in seconds instead of minutes ?? :D

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

I 'member using a typewriter and needing to erase something. There was a special white out thingymajag and you would back up and strike over what you typed with the white out film. Fun times.

If you had one with an eraser ribbon, you had a newer model.  With older models, if you didn't have a bottle of "White Out" or "Liquid Paper," which was a white substance you could paint over the mistake, you had to start typing the page all over again.  Much like dialing a rotary phone and messing up on the last digit - hang up and start dialing all over again. 

And for the record - no we didn't like it then either.  Hence why we made improvements.  lol

Eventually we'll all just speak and the computer will type for us.  Then our great grand kids will look at a typewriter and say, "You mean you touched the keys... with your fingers?"

Edited by exracer327

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

If you had one with an eraser ribbon, you had a newer model.  With older models, if you didn't have a bottle of "White Out" or "Liquid Paper," which was a white substance you could paint over the mistake, you had to start typing the page all over again.  Much like dialing a rotary phone and messing up on the last digit - hang up and start dialing all over again. 

And for the record - no we didn't like it then either.  Hence why we made improvements.  lol

Eventually we'll all just speak and the computer will type for us.  Then our great grand kids will look at a typewriter and say, "You mean you touched the keys... with your fingers?"

Scotty Computer GIFs | Tenor

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

LEGO Walkman, too.

@TheOrcKing I think we have an idea for a new photo thread - Obsolete Tech

How about Retroware or Throwback Tech or Yesteryear Builds? (Classic Crap? Haha.) I know there is a handful of builds in the MOC Highlights topic already and I came across a deal more surrounding the LEGO Walkman (that actually opens) I found just the other day.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

How about Retroware or Throwback Tech or Yesteryear Builds? (Classic Crap? Haha.) I know there is a handful of builds in the MOC Highlights topic already and I came across a deal more surrounding the LEGO Walkman (that actually opens) I found just the other day.

Throwback Tech is a fantastic name!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, exracer327 said:

Even the correction fluid made big improvements over time, I think they started with two bottles where you had to mix them, then to a single bottle. The next evolution was the pen version and the most recent one is like scotch tape where you just run it over the mistake. 

I remember if for some reason you have to shift the paper up to put on the correction fluid sometimes it may get misaligned and it becomes a PITA to try and realign the paper to continue typing.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 8:20 PM, TheOrcKing said:

How about Retroware or Throwback Tech or Yesteryear Builds?

On 6/9/2021 at 8:40 PM, Alpinemaps said:

Throwback Tech is a fantastic name!

So to top off this suggestion, I have gone through the primary MOC Highlights topic plus some other areas and we now have a Throwback Tech category well as an Art MOCs one to boot.

A few of the builds in the Throwback thread could be considered as commonplace items (a lighter for example) more than traditionally retro but ideally they seem to fit albeit loosely. Regarding what fits under the Art MOCs area going forward aside from the obvious such as mosaics or builds that truly are works of art, honestly I have no idea. I mean, art is subjective after all. Even so I believe I managed to cram plenty into there for a start.

To add you may find a few additions to our various topics including Architecture MOCs, Neo Space, Cyberpunk, Minifigure Dioramas, Flora MOCs, and Mech MOCs. Oh right, another entry into Mad Max ....and then there's DOOM.

Anyhow over the course of almost a week, I pretty much sifted through eight years of MOCs in just that main topic alone. It was sitting at over seventy two pages long (25 posts per page). Now it's fifty seven pages. If you'll excuse me, I am tired and need a little rest.

And the next time you make a suggestion, Alpinemaps, I may just kick your ass. Haha.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing.  I'm not sure if this is more lame than the Piano or not, but either way, it is 100% OFF of my wish list.  Ugh.  All of that....and one striker.

Why do it if its half-assed?  To show that you can "kind of" build things with LEGO?  How about putting all that time into real functions in Technic (or even System-Technic hybrid sets)?