Jump to content

Ideas #035: 21327 - Typewriter


Recommended Posts

  • Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #035?: 21327? - Typewriter
  • Alpinemaps pinned this topic
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty sure where you live , those haven’t been invented yet . 

Official pics are up, looking pretty good.

Posted Images

I don't get it.  I don't get the impression that the piano is a huge seller.  I mean, how many people get excited about typewriters and pianos?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

I don't get it.  I don't get the impression that the piano is a huge seller.  I mean, how many people get excited about typewriters and pianos?

oh...there's a few out there

 

Facking Hipsters by jcris25 - Meme Center

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

I don't get it.  I don't get the impression that the piano is a huge seller.  I mean, how many people get excited about typewriters and pianos?

I think people are going to be more excited about the (I presume) printed alphabet pieces. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

I don't get it.  I don't get the impression that the piano is a huge seller.  I mean, how many people get excited about typewriters and pianos?

Actually I own a type writer for birthday cards etc., it shows that you've put some effort into it. But the fan base of a type writer will be relativly small and compared to the piano audience with money this gonna be a huge turd.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

I don't get it.  I don't get the impression that the piano is a huge seller.  I mean, how many people get excited about typewriters and pianos?

 

Just now, Sozial said:

Actually I own a type writer for birthday cards etc., it shows that you've put some effort into it. But the fan base of a type writer will be relativly small and compared to the piano audience with money this gonna be a huge turd.

It may be more about Lego's continued campaign to showcase the versatility of the system and how even unlikely configurations can be made from lego more than actual sales. Of course when you make new pieces for your new sets it detracts that argument. Anything can be made from lego pieces when you make new pieces.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lazuli16 said:

I think people are going to be more excited about the (I presume) printed alphabet pieces. 

The Dots Creative Designer Box (41938) coming this summer will also have letters.

Now if only we had numbers...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lazuli16 said:

I think people are going to be more excited about the (I presume) printed alphabet pieces. 

This.  Forget about parting out minifigs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a quaint novelty seeing everyday real life items being recreated at varying scales in other mediums such as LEGO here. While this may not be able to actually type (at least straight from the box), it makes for a nice conversation piece on the coffee table ....or a moss-covered three-handled family credenza.

Anyway as been pointed out already, the printed tiles and whatever other possibly unique pieces to come from this set will be the main draw for builders.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Thats a lot of stickers 

 

According to the reviewer on Brickset (review not yet published) the keys are all printed. There are a few stickers included.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks nicer than the original design (for once). 

This could start a new series on obsolete tech. 8 track player, slide projector, fax machine, and outhouse all have potential.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm old enough I typed reports on these in Elementary School and actually had to share time on manual typewriters in Typing Class in High School.

This set definitely looks neat.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I'm old enough I typed reports on these in Elementary School and actually had to share time on manual typewriters in Typing Class in High School.

This set definitely looks neat.

Pretty sure where you live , those haven’t been invented yet . 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Looks nicer than the original design (for once). 

This could start a new series on obsolete tech. 8 track player, slide projector, fax machine, and outhouse all have potential.  

Rotary phone, VCR

Someone with more talents than me should start ideas submissions for these

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #035: 21327 - Typewriter
1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Rotary phone, VCR

Someone with more talents than me should start ideas submissions for these

LEGO Walkman, too.

@TheOrcKing I think we have an idea for a new photo thread - Obsolete Tech

1 hour ago, marcandre said:

Looks nicer than the original design (for once). 

This could start a new series on obsolete tech. 8 track player, slide projector, fax machine, and outhouse all have potential.  

I agree!  It does look a lot better.  This is definitely one of those times where they took the Idea, and improved the looks of it to make it a far better product.

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

I'm old enough I typed reports on these in Elementary School and actually had to share time on manual typewriters in Typing Class in High School.

This set definitely looks neat.

Me too.  I took a semester long typing class in high school, on a manual typewriter.  I think I ended the class with a 45 WPM score.  Now I type something like 130 WPM?  Something insane like that.  But obviously not on a manual typewriter, lol.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Me too.  I took a semester long typing class in high school, on a manual typewrite.  I think I ended the class with a 45 WPM score.  Now I type something like 130 WPM?  Something insane like that.  But obviously not on a manual typewriter, lol.

Same here. 

Does everyone know the history of why the typewriter keys are laid out in the weird arrangement? 

The original typewriter was laid out with ABCDE... all in order.  It had to be changed to what we have today in order to slow down those who could type so fast they would jam the typewriter.  Personally I thought it was fun to jam a manual typewriter, unless I had a paper I needed to get done for school.  It was like a reverse break the ice game to pull each striker back until they all came apart.  Of course, it was annoying to get the ink off your fingers afterwards.  

Once computers caught on they tried changing the the English keyboard back to ABCDE... but so many people were used to the typewriter configuration it was rejected.

 

A LEGO real-to-real could be easy to motorize and with a smart phone, have it play music like the LEGO piano.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Same here. 

Does everyone know the history of why the typewriter keys are laid out in the weird arrangement? 

The original typewriter was laid out with ABCDE... all in order.  It had to be changed to what we have today in order to slow down those who could type so fast they would jam the typewriter.  Personally I thought it was fun to jam a manual typewriter, unless I had a paper I needed to get done for school.  It was like a reverse break the ice game to pull each striker back until they all came apart.  Of course, it was annoying to get the ink off your fingers afterwards.  

Once computers caught on they tried changing the the English keyboard back to ABCDE... but so many people were used to the typewriter configuration it was rejected.

 

A LEGO real-to-real could be easy to motorize and with a smart phone, have it play music like the LEGO piano.

Here's a fun read about the origin of QWERTY

The Origins of QWERTY

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I remember playing with that ribbon as a kid and getting ink all over my hands and also slamming a bunch of keys at once to jam the arms. 

Lego did a great job with this set. Is that sand green?? As much as I like how it looks, I don't know if it'll be enough for me to buy it. It doesn't really fit in my collection or style of sets I like to buy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Me too.  I took a semester long typing class in high school, on a manual typewriter.  I think I ended the class with a 45 WPM score.  Now I type something like 130 WPM?  Something insane like that.  But obviously not on a manual typewriter, lol.

Typing was my worst class in highschool.  Hated every minute of it.  My fingers could never follow all of the rules (pinky for qaz, etc, etc).  I developed my own rules (basically I map the keys in my mind and my fingers go all over the keyboards) and never look back :P 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...