42113 - Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey **Cancelled**

brickvoyeur

"The LEGO Technic Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey was designed to highlight the important role the aircraft plays in search and rescue efforts.

"While the set clearly depicts how a rescue version of the plane might look, the aircraft is only used by the military. We have a long-standing policy not to create sets which feature real military vehicles, so it has been decided not to proceed with the launch of this product.

"We appreciate that some fans who were looking forward to this set may be disappointed, but we believe it’s important to ensure that we uphold our brand values."

42113_alt1.thumb.jpeg.57745e5cb13edaba347fe408544f8dc4.jpeg

Release date was August 1st. Canceled less than 2 weeks before release due to external pressures.

The boxes that manage to sneak out the back door are going to fetch quite a penny.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

"The LEGO Technic Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey was designed to highlight the important role the aircraft plays in search and rescue efforts.

"While the set clearly depicts how a rescue version of the plane might look, the aircraft is only used by the military. We have a long-standing policy not to create sets which feature real military vehicles, so it has been decided not to proceed with the launch of this product.

"We appreciate that some fans who were looking forward to this set may be disappointed, but we believe it’s important to ensure that we uphold our brand values."

42113_alt1.thumb.jpeg.57745e5cb13edaba347fe408544f8dc4.jpeg

Release date was August 1st. Canceled less than 2 weeks before release due to external pressures.

The boxes that manage to sneak out the back door are going to fetch quite a penny.

so if it was painted red and white without the licensing...it would be OK?

The German Peace Society issues this statement:

On 1. August 2020 LEGO® plans to release its first ever military set while internal corporate value documents forbid the production of current military vehicles. The German DFG-VK also criticises the license placed on the set. With every buy, customers help to finance arms companies.

via Brickfinder

Anyone know which retailers in the US were supposed to carry this set? I do know some managers at a few local retailers who may be willing to let me buy some if I can find out which ones they are.

Also, anybody have a UPC? That would be helpful as well.

Edited by skinsfan0521
  • Like 1

I understand why LEGO cancelled the original Las Vegas arch set.  It was still a couple months out, so possible to go all stop on it before it gets out there.  But this set is a week away from being a shelves.  Could easily get out into the wild.

I get Lego's thought process on this - preserving the brand - but considering how many people are involved in creating a set, you would think someone would have caught this much sooner in the process.  I personally find it embarrassing for the company.  You only now realize that it's not part of your brand values?  

• Like 3

Did a quick detour to two stores today to try and grab these. They both had them in stock. However when scanned, they had a big alert come up in their system saying it was recalled, and not for sale.

When I push and asked nicely, they simply said it would literally be illegal to sell it to me at this point.
Damn. 24 hours too late!

2 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Lego’s continual rational for this is just mind numbingly stupid. What, the WW1 Sopwith camel and Fokker biplanes weren’t military related?

Just create a line of 18+ bricks for adults who like war models and see your profits climb.

ten or more yrs ago the world was not full of eco-terrorists, rallies for "undecided sex", mee-too movements and such.. the World was still OK.. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Besides a pandemic, two moronic presidential candidates, nightly violent riots in major American cities, it's peachy. 

This recall is really stupid. 

The timing is stupid (terrible planning)...but the reasons behind it still bear some merit.  I know it can be viewed as highly inconsistent (we all know the arguments)...but I think LEGO at least tries to be different from the rest and it shows in many ways that makes their product desirable for all ages across demographics around the world...I would love to be able to build an actual LEGO aircraft carrier or tank...untapped source material 4shure...but I feel reassured in some weird way that there are decision makers at LEGO corporate that refuses to budge on certain standards (albeit misguided or hypocritical).

10 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

The timing is stupid (terrible planning)...but the reasons behind it still bear some merit.  I know it can be viewed as highly inconsistent (we all know the arguments)...but I think LEGO at least tries to be different from the rest and it shows in many ways that makes their product desirable for all ages across demographics around the world...I would love to be able to build an actual LEGO aircraft carrier or tank...untapped source material 4shure...but I feel reassured in some weird way that there are decision makers at LEGO corporate that refuses to budge on certain standards (albeit misguided or hypocritical).

In my opinion a toymaker should be apolytical with no intention to form a public policy. But here we have LEGO that already panicked over the police arrest incident in the US and requested all the partners to take out the marketing and adverts for all City, Fire - perhaps even Medical? (if they had any on sale) CITY sets.. WHY? .. WHY? Police - maybe.. but what have the Fire Departments ever done wrong? Did they murder or torture fire victims? .. and now this .. LEGO feels like its entitled to decide (instead of all of us) what is good and what is not for our children. And i do not want that.. what comes next? Sets supporting only "vegans" because "carnivors" aka "usual ppl" are not welcome in the view of LEGO? No city cars because the gas is not eco-friendly so we get only some "tesla" and hybrid cars? (it might be already happening with the new Panasonic Speed Champions formulas". Simply this is an ongoing process and someone should notice that and let LEGo know that they do not have the right to dictate others "what toys are good - and which ones are undesirable".

6 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Umm... who really cares about this set? 

right now? I guess about everyone from us .. imagine what the after market price would be like in 3 yrs.. its kind of a "Blue Mauritius" (postal stamp).. a set that was NEVER released.. 

Edited by crayxlp

9 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

right now? I guess about everyone from us .. imagine what the after market price would be like in 3 yrs.. its kind of a "Blue Mauritius" (postal stamp).. a set that was NEVER released.. 

Pretty obvious, I meant for personal collection it's not an exciting set. Some people (not here) act like the best UCS set ever got cancelled.

• Like 1