10277 - Crocodile Locomotive

DadsAFOL

6 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

That is one ugly train

My boy has been absolutely obsessed about trains since being 2 years old...therefore I have become a bit of an expert (like any good parent 😬)

I have seen them all...and in my opinion, when it comes to trains "Ugly" is beautiful....it's like appreciating the wrinkles on the face of someone who has lived quite a life...character lines. The "sleek" look of todays trains, albeit aerodynamic; hides the soul...like those damn plastic covering of the engine bay of cars nowadays..."uhm..there's already a hood...I like to see how the damn car runs rather than a giant manufacturer logo in plastic"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Official image (higher resolution)

What a nice set for $100. Good job, LEGO.

20200615_140303.jpg

Why do the wheels on the end cars not touch the tracks? Odd. Wondering if this is just a photoshop thing or maybe a technical train function thing.

Box looks like. I like this adult-style design thing Lego has been doing.

Why do the wheels on the end cars not touch the tracks? Odd. Wondering if this is just a photoshop thing or maybe a technical train function thing.
Box looks like. I like this adult-style design thing Lego has been doing.

It’s a part that doesn’t have a rubber band. See part #: 4543943 > https://brickset.com/parts/4543943/3-train-wheel-ø30-m-u-flange
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

The driving wheels are set up in a Flanged-Blind-Flanged pattern. The middle big wheels are the Blind ones. This is because the front 2 big wheels are fixed to the front section of the Crocodile, and the pivot is between the front and the center sections of the train, which causes this middle wheel to move laterally and not sit on the track when going through a curve. This would have led to a derailment if it was a Flanged wheel.

Edited by Phil B
  • Thanks 1

Jamie Berard: “One thing to note is that this model is actually what we call a market-driven product. It means that this will be available to select partners in addition to LEGO brand retail. This is part of a new space that we’re navigating as part of our adult strategy. We’re no longer just making products for LEGO Brand Retail stores, but on occasion, we’re creating these ‘reach products’ that will open us up to new partners and give them exclusivity to it as well. The Crocodile actually came about as a product because of a dialogue with those partners to try to see what would appeal most to their markets.”

15 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Jamie Berard: “One thing to note is that this model is actually what we call a market-driven product. It means that this will be available to select partners in addition to LEGO brand retail. This is part of a new space that we’re navigating as part of our adult strategy. We’re no longer just making products for LEGO Brand Retail stores, but on occasion, we’re creating these ‘reach products’ that will open us up to new partners and give them exclusivity to it as well. The Crocodile actually came about as a product because of a dialogue with those partners to try to see what would appeal most to their markets.”

This is interesting because it presumably means that the 'partners' he is talking about will not be required to buy wholesale shipments of all Lego sets, but copies of these 'special' sets only. 

1 hour ago, Captain_chaos said:

This is interesting because it presumably means that the 'partners' he is talking about will not be required to buy wholesale shipments of all Lego sets, but copies of these 'special' sets only. 

I figure it's the same kind of relationship LEGO has w/ Museum stores...but specifically Train museums.   

On 6/16/2020 at 1:41 AM, Pseudoty said:

"One thing to note is that this model is actually what we call a market-driven product."

ha ha.. ! Wishful thinking.. - "market driven product".. not really. this might be purchased / resold .. but not market changing UGLY BLACK box - with NO BACKGROUND scene".. 

On 6/16/2020 at 5:09 PM, Captain_chaos said:

So what's the difference with the deal LEGO has with Volkswagen where both the T1 Van and the Beetle sets are sold directly through the Volkswagen Webshop ?

image.thumb.png.2062764ac562a387d1ee20b93020cc17.png

Clearly Volkswagen is a partner for LEGO to supply both LEGO VW sets directly to Volkswagen fans. Apparently this is working out so well for LEGO they are expanding their partnership with other brands for adult oriented sets and the brands those sets are related to.

Which also means that those brands have a say in the longevity of those sets. As with Volkswagen, I think they keep the T1 alive because it's good for their brand.

I'm wondering if Lego is planning on an ongoing train display series. Imagine them releasing one per year. A grouping of these would make a great adult display. If they do then it will make this first set highly collectible.

Anyone have thoughts?  Unrelated...I also think it would be super cool if Lego released an annual set that is a motorized ball machine. Then release one each year that all are modular and connect together to make a big ball machine. Like this. But each year it's just one part of something like this.

Edited by Gonkalin

good review. i'm happy to have another train, but a few things that stood out that the author of the video also called out:

• non-rubber banded wheels don't touch
  • big gaps where the front and back need to articulate. couldn't there have been some sort of corner pieces included that wouldn't conflict with the middle section?
  • have to remove the top of the train to power on the hub. not sure why a piece couldn't have been constructed or included to make this a push button like the city trains.
  • controller does not have a set and forget speed. you have to hold the acceleration down. hopefully the app solves for this. i like to set my trains and let them run.

he also makes a great point about all the black. these new black boxes really show imperfections and scuffs like no other. and a black instruction book? blends right in with the dark brown pieces.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

good review. i'm happy to have another train, but a few things that stood out that the author of the video also called out:

• non-rubber banded wheels don't touch
  • big gaps where the front and back need to articulate. couldn't there have been some sort of corner pieces included that wouldn't conflict with the middle section?
  • have to remove the top of the train to power on the hub. not sure why a piece couldn't have been constructed or included to make this a push button like the city trains.
  • controller does not have a set and forget speed. you have to hold the acceleration down. hopefully the app solves for this. i like to set my trains and let them run.

he also makes a great point about all the black. these new black boxes really show imperfections and scuffs like no other. and a black instruction book? blends right in with the dark brown pieces.

By using one of the new motors and not the train motor there is less flexibility for speed control as well.

2 hours ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

the author's custom app had the speed control. hoping the official LEGO app will as well. otherwise i may be coping his code. 

couldn't someone just hitch a motored "rolling stock" and push the engineless engine?  Why take out all the guts for a motor that doesn't play nice w/ rest of train system?

1 hour ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Is it fair to call it "false advertising" for LEGO to make it look like you could light up the interior of the train , which is actually not the case (at least not with the regular retail set you get out of that box)?

Just as fair to call them out on the "lit up" lasers, lightsabers and vehicle lights on any of the other sets! Some sets end up being really cool, but others you can definitely tell they relied heavily on the box art. I wouldn't call it false advertising.