Super Mario 2020

2 hours ago, Hardwired said:

Ok I feel like I'm missing something... I got the starter kit (mostly so I had a Mario for the NES, well played LEGO, well played) and the only thing I can see that you do with this is to create arbitrary courses that you then guide the little Mario guy through.  That can't be it?

It’s a kids toy, what’d you expect? 😉

In all seriousness, I think we tend to forget LEGOs are largely geared toward kids, and what we may view as silly or pointless, kids can have an entirely different perspective.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Hardwired said:

Ok I feel like I'm missing something... I got the starter kit (mostly so I had a Mario for the NES, well played LEGO, well played) and the only thing I can see that you do with this is to create arbitrary courses that you then guide the little Mario guy through.  That can't be it?

I have a 6 year old and that's all he needs. hes recreating the game play but with his actual hands and building new pieces to enhance it and he loves it.

And we dont even have the mario yet. hes just playing with the blind bag creatures and one expansion set where you get to whack the guts out of a sectional cactus

• Like 3

Early Indicators: almost everything Mario on Backorder at LEGO Shop at Home (Pretty good sign of popularity IMO). 71369 The Bowser castle large set (RRP $99) is the only Mario set sold at a premium markup on Amazon ($164)...also propeller POwer Up is $21.50 (double RRP); but available at RRP at Target, Walmart. I noted that the 71367 Yoshi set is not available for ship at Target (but available at RRP at Walmart and Amazon). 

There's so much selection currently and the relatively low RRP probably makes them attractive for parents (add-ons and what nots)...I almost always let my kid get a $10-$20 something (Tax for bringing child shopping🙄) without even thinking about it.

Personally there's so many other good sets out there and so many to come, I would not give these a thought (as an AFoL); but in terms of QFLL and resell the Mario series is popular and there seems to be some really early signs of scarcity. Gentlemen make your bets. 

35 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Early Indicators: almost everything Mario on Backorder at LEGO Shop at Home (Pretty good sign of popularity IMO). 71369 The Bowser castle large set (RRP $99) is the only Mario set sold at a premium markup on Amazon ($164)...also propeller POwer Up is $21.50 (double RRP); but available at RRP at Target, Walmart. I noted that the 71367 Yoshi set is not available for ship at Target (but available at RRP at Walmart and Amazon). 

There's so much selection currently and the relatively low RRP probably makes them attractive for parents (add-ons and what nots)...I almost always let my kid get a $10-$20 something (Tax for bringing child shopping🙄) without even thinking about it.

Personally there's so many other good sets out there and so many to come, I would not give these a thought (as an AFoL); but in terms of QFLL and resell the Mario series is popular and there seems to be some really early signs of scarcity. Gentlemen make your bets. 

I was trying to work out if it was worth getting these now.  Stock seems fine in my area, very little people seem to be selling them for much more than RRP.  I wondered if the best time to make money on these would be Christmas time, what do you think?

20 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Has LEGO ever had this sudden and comprehensive release of an entirely new IP before?

Lego Friends

But I think you mean 3P, so my answer would be no. Comprehensively not all at once, but we have seen them reutilize common 3PIPs like Ghostbusters. Some of these are probably contracts that are laid out once they get a specific license to use the brand, how many times they can use it and for exactly what purpose and length of time. With Nintendo, they are a notoriously Japanese company with how they do things. I am sure there was a lot of back and forth and agreeing on specifically how much and what exactly is a good approach for both brands.

Edited by CosmicSpeed

the only top 50 set from the theme on the river is the starter set and that's instock on amazon limit 30 though it is the #1 set.  still limit 30x not sold out-   that's not a very good sign for this theme imo.

if the goal is to flip before year's end for maximal profit, you likely do much better placing your bet on Razor Crest which is an amazon exclusive, a much larger set so there will be fewer in purchasing circulation.  the set is very likely to sell out at amazon and shop at home .  lack of target or walmart competition will funnel the buyers to you though tongue lashings from upset scalped parents may be a hazard to be endured.  Then you can sell them for no fees and maximal profit in the Starbucks parking lot and not have to worry about returns when they come back in stock in February.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cladner said:

the only top 50 set from the theme on the river is the starter set and that's instock on amazon limit 30 though it is the #1 set.  still limit 30x not sold out-   that's not a very good sign for this theme imo.

if the goal is to flip before year's end for maximal profit, you likely do much better placing your bet on Razor Crest which is an amazon exclusive, a much larger set so there will be fewer in purchasing circulation.  the set is very likely to sell out at amazon and shop at home .  lack of target or walmart competition will funnel the buyers to you though tongue lashings from upset scalped parents may be a hazard to be endured.  Then you can sell them for no fees and maximal profit in the Starbucks parking lot and not have to worry about returns when they come back in stock in February.

I agree with your statement regarding current flipping, but isn't the starter pack the only way to get Mario? Makes sense it would be up there, but then its "free choice" with whatever accessory set they are choosing if you are looking at sales indications. Lego had to have made a TON of these starter sets so I also don't see it being a good individual flipping opportunity, but not something to count out as bundling with whatever random accessory set you might have to increase your profit come Christmas time.

27 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

I agree with your statement regarding current flipping, but isn't the starter pack the only way to get Mario? Makes sense it would be up there, but then its "free choice" with whatever accessory set they are choosing if you are looking at sales indications. Lego had to have made a TON of these starter sets so I also don't see it being a good individual flipping opportunity, but not something to count out as bundling with whatever random accessory set you might have to increase your profit come Christmas time.

bundling sounds like work.  i just want to buy something and sell it quickly for more.  razor crest checks every box for huge flippin' winner this holiday season between timing of release, pent up demand for set, and throw in retailer exclusivity for such a large set - its a gift to reseller scum everywhere.

i'm not saying you won't make money with mario - it just seems more risky.

[animate output image]

Edited by cladner

29 minutes ago, cladner said:

bundling sounds like work.  i just want to buy something and sell it quickly for more.  razor crest checks every box for huge flippin' winner this holiday season between timing of release, pent up demand for set, and throw in retailer exclusivity for such a large set - its a gift to reseller scum everywhere.

you can still pre-order the Razorcrest, though, which makes me wonder if LEGO will produce a ton to fulfill those Amazon orders

55 minutes ago, cladner said:

[animate output image]

As a new investor in LEGO, would you mind explaining the strategy behind QFLL, I always assumed new releases would have plenty of stock and that the price would stay close to RRP.  I sometimes see new sets sell for £10 more than RRP however by the time you take postage and fees off, I end up making a loss.  Am I missing something?

8 minutes ago, MasamuneHonjo said:

As a new investor in LEGO, would you mind explaining the strategy behind QFLL

For investment, I buy on sale and/or EOL. As for quick flips, I buy sets I personally like and if the stars align and its hard to get at the right time Ill list it for the premium. No loss as Ill add it to my 'gonna' build' pile.  QFLL Was never really my strategy to start. 

24 minutes ago, Belac said:

For investment, I buy on sale and/or EOL. As for quick flips, I buy sets I personally like and if the stars align and its hard to get at the right time Ill list it for the premium. No loss as Ill add it to my 'gonna' build' pile.  QFLL Was never really my strategy to start. 

I have been trying to focus on sets at their EOL so far or sets that have been on sale.  I did also do well with the recent Ospreys however I have seen many people talking about the QFLL strategy but I just can't see it working.  Take the recent Mario sets for example, here in the UK it has been hard to find the King Boo set so I thought that would be an opportunity.  However, on eBay, it has been selling for £50 - £60.  Minus 10% eBay fees, 3% PayPal fees and the £45 cost of the product as well as the postage cost, i'd be left with next to nothing.  This is why I am confused with the strategy.  

Edited by MasamuneHonjo

13 minutes ago, MasamuneHonjo said:

I have been trying to focus on sets at their EOL so far or sets that have been on sale.  I did also do well with the recent Ospreys however I have seen many people talking about the QFLL strategy but I just can't see it working.  Take the recent Mario sets for example, here in the UK it has been hard to find the King Boo set so I thought that would be an opportunity.  However, on eBay, it has been selling for £50 - £60.  Minus 10% eBay fees, 3% PayPal fees and the £45 cost of the product as well as the postage cost, i'd be left with next to nothing.  This is why I am confused with the strategy.  

seems to work best with limited initial release sets or special circumstances, like Covid. I flipped a few large sets for big gains when Covid hit because they were impossible to find. Folks are doing fairly well with the Piano because there was less supply than Mario.

I would agree buying sets towards EOL has always been my QFLL philosophy, but I'd love to hear it from others.

25 minutes ago, MasamuneHonjo said:

My QFLL strategy assumes Covid effects will make it scarce going into the holidays

27 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

My QFLL strategy assumes Covid effects will make it scarce going into the holidays

So, if you don't mind me asking, are you buying up certain sets assuming that prices rocket due to scarcity going into the holidays?  

See, I assumed that parents will be buying the Mario sets for kids at Christmas time and I assumed that the starter set would become hard to find, I then also assumed that parents would be willing to pay a lot more because of Christmas and there'd be profit to be made there on the Mario sets.  Would this be right or am I going around this the wrong way?  Should I be sticking to sets expected to retire at the end of the year?  Should I do both?

46 minutes ago, MasamuneHonjo said:

So, if you don't mind me asking, are you buying up certain sets assuming that prices rocket due to scarcity going into the holidays?  

See, I assumed that parents will be buying the Mario sets for kids at Christmas time and I assumed that the starter set would become hard to find, I then also assumed that parents would be willing to pay a lot more because of Christmas and there'd be profit to be made there on the Mario sets.  Would this be right or am I going around this the wrong way?  Should I be sticking to sets expected to retire at the end of the year?  Should I do both?

yes...I don't know about "sky-rocket" but I expect certain sets to go scarce

Do what you think is best for you, your situation, and your location

assumption = risk

I'm also not feeling the pre order thing as far as strategy.  MOST of the sets that I've pre ordered to this point have been on shelves or shipped to others before even shipping mine out! So,  if your thinking pre order gets you a jump ahead you just may be mistaken.

Also there is a designer video for NES on thebrickfan Some cool building techniques I'm looking forward to.

Edited by Belac

I posted earlier that we are offering the Mario Character Pack (71361) boxes at a discounted price to Brick Pickers. I also want to add that we have confirmed now there are two sets per box and our set price will be $49 ea. ($87.83 per box)

Please PM with PayPal email address if you are interested in an invoice for a box or set of these. We have them in hand now. (Free domestic shipping and $10 international shipping for a set, $25 international for box).

• Like 3