Super Mario 2020

Remind me again, the people who grabbed this on Lego.com when this line first launched, are their orders just still sitting and processing? or were they cancelled? Does anyone know?

(note this was the GWP when the line first launched, not any of the later announced sets)

537761067_ScreenShot2020-07-24at12_26_05PM.thumb.png.b0d9b35d7e0259c489209a519cd8beb7.png

20 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

Remind me again, the people who grabbed this on Lego.com when this line first launched, are their orders just still sitting and processing? or were they cancelled? Does anyone know?

(note this was the GWP when the line first launched, not any of the later announced sets)

537761067_ScreenShot2020-07-24at12_26_05PM.thumb.png.b0d9b35d7e0259c489209a519cd8beb7.png

image.thumb.png.47bb9c9a57c502aefd0648024f63d01b.png

9 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

oooooo im jealous. I really wonder what eBay prices these drive.

It may be available again one the line launches. I think other sites had this preorder bonus too. 

These hitting Aug 1st? 

edit - yup 8/1. I wonder if these sell out. I think they may flood the market with these. 

Edited by marcandre

33 minutes ago, marcandre said:

It may be available again one the line launches. I think other sites had this preorder bonus too. 

These hitting Aug 1st? 

edit - yup 8/1. I wonder if these sell out. I think they may flood the market with these. 

believe monty mole was a LEGO Shop at Home exclusive and went pretty quick. some of the other sites, like Zavvi, had the super mushroom poly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

believe monty mole was a LEGO Shop at Home exclusive and went pretty quick. some of the other sites, like Zavvi, had the super mushroom poly.

Yes you are correct, Zavvi only had poly bag.

Now, Monty Mole is in another set that will come out with the rest so it kinda kills the exclusivity of the GWP but still, I will want it haha. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

Yes you are correct, Zavvi only had poly bag.

Now, Monty Mole is in another set that will come out with the rest so it kinda kills the exclusivity of the GWP but still, I will want it haha. 

Looks like another chance to get it next month: 1488-AUG20-CAL-NA.pdf?format=pjpg

Edited by MotorCityMuscle

8 minutes ago, Serejai said:

Am I correct in reading that as the Monty Mole promotion is only available for in-store orders and not online orders?

That's what I read.  But then again, the Christmas in July was supposed to be the Tree.  It didn't say it was exclusive to stores.

Saw Bowser's castle ($99) on Target shelves yesterday...Ebay selling for a premium ($135+) but I figure the QFLL opportunity has passed. I don't know if the Mario sets are really popular or just manufactured hype...are kids really into this line?  the box art is childish and appears to be targeting younger kids (like 4-5) that's kinda Duplo territory and ofcourse what kids knows anything about classic Mario Bros?...like Hidden side this series may develop an identity problem

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

17 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

and ofcourse what kids knows anything about classic Mario Bros?...like Hidden side this series may develop an identity problem

My kids who love Mario haven’t shown much interest in this line. Lego may have been better off theming this off the recent Mario Odyssey instead.  With that said they certainly know classic Mario Bros. 

Edited by Mathew

I have concerns for this line.  I don't feel the play value is that long.  It might be great and fun but I'd be concerned it will become forgettable.  Unless kids recreate their own levels but the rule set can't be very deep.  Just keep lightly touching Mario to the top of things to scan them...?  I don't know.  Jang just did a review of a Ninjago dragon set from season 13 and it appears similar in that you build a play 'track' and you have 'lives' or 'health'.  Do kids like that?  If so it may translate over.  If not, then this line will perform poorly.

17 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

I have concerns for this line.  I don't feel the play value is that long.  It might be great and fun but I'd be concerned it will become forgettable.  Unless kids recreate their own levels but the rule set can't be very deep.  Just keep lightly touching Mario to the top of things to scan them...?  I don't know.  Jang just did a review of a Ninjago dragon set from season 13 and it appears similar in that you build a play 'track' and you have 'lives' or 'health'.  Do kids like that?  If so it may translate over.  If not, then this line will perform poorly.

I feel the same way, I saw the way that Mario is used throughout the level and thought, for the price of a game for their console, would children still get the same joy and fun from these LEGO sets?  I am not sure.  

My 5 year old son absolutely loves Mario related things and has played a lot of the newer Mario content that is out on the Nintendo Switch (Mario Kart, Super Mario Bro’s Deluxe). We saw the $60 Mario Starter Course set at Walmart the other day and I bought it along with some of the $5 character packs. We put it together today and he absolutely loves it! He seems more interested in making Mario interact with the other characters vs setting up a course for Mario to run through in a certain amount of time. Perhaps older kids would want to set up courses and try to collect as many coins as they can in the timeframe they have to finish the course... but I’ll admit, I even had fun using the Mario character to interact with all of the various enemies and landscapes. I foresee myself purchasing additional Mario courses and expansion sets. My son is more interested in playing with these vs watching TV (we’ll see how long that lasts, lol), so I’m all for him getting into this stuff.

I think there’s great potential for this particular line too. I could totally see them making a future Luigi character that is similar to Mario. Perhaps even have the ability to compete against one another with Mario and Luigi to see who can get the most coins, or knock out the most enemies within a specific time. Future sets could include a Mario castle or other landmarks from the older games. 

The prices for the sets can be on the expensive side, but when you look at other themes aimed toward kids (Minecraft), it’s not that much out of line. I think there’ll be demand for these come Christmas, and it will be interesting to see if LEGO can keep up with it.

• Like 4

Hello Brick Pickers,

We have secured a shipment of Super Mario Character Packs and have the following price available to members here:

Box = $87.83

Please message with PayPal email address for invoice if you are interested. Free shipping in mid-August. International shipping for $25.

Happy building,

Jon

• Like 5

I got a bunch of stuff from Target and my kids were thrilled.  Even got a full box of the characters - which I think look better than those in the boxed sets.  I personally hate how there are no instructions but we built everything - except the large bowser castle - just by looking at the box images.

I'm very nostalgic with Mario / Nintendo as I grew up with it in the 80's, but these sets, to me, are just odd with regards to role-playing, so we'll be building a moc style something.

Walmart has nothing here, no stickers, or otherwise.

Oh, and the box of figures - lots of repeats, no ghosts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

Glad your kids love it!  I'm curious how kids will play with this you'll have to report back AND show your MOC someday!

I think LEGO did a good job at the playability, but I just think it's weird.  I purchased one of each set, a box of figures.  Wish I could get that mole set that is going for a stupid amount of money (free set going for 100ish on ebay).  Hope to build a moving moc.  Sets are expensive for what's included and on piece count, but whatever.  They got my money!

• Haha 1