Super Mario 2020

31 minutes ago, Graphicski said:

Well I'm dissapointed. Please lego do some traditional style sets too not just this weird crap. Of course it's easy to say kids are their main market but Nintendo has a huge nostalgic adult market to aim for too surely 😒

For what's it worth, I just showed this to my son. He thought it looked amazing said he wants to spend his allowance on it. This is coming from a 6 year old who can look in our basement and browse every set imaginable. 

• Like 4

Wow, I certainly cannot knock Lego for trying to show some innovation here. At first quick glance at a still photo, I thought "Plegh" at the Mario build. But now that I see the tech involved, it actually seems interesting. I think I might like this better than Hidden Side phone app stuff.

• Like 3

I think this is a slightly better approach than the Hidden Side sets to keeping the kids playing with the bricks and not just the electronics.  Hidden Side basically turns into just playing the app.  Plus you don't have to have a tablet/phone to take advantage of these Mario set functions.

I wonder what that Mario will cost.  Given what they tried to squeeze out of the remote Batmobile, I can see this being pricey.

Well, that's different.

My initial reaction was...wtf?  And meh.  But reading over comments, I'm starting to temper that reaction.  I agree - it is innovative.  And LEGO could stand to be innovative, instead of being safe all the time, or being late to the game all the time (Dimensions, Brickheadz).

I admit I love that brick built Yoshi, and the tech/sound effects are awesome.  I may need that Mario, too.

12 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Good write up.  It seems obvious, but I would have also mentioned that the sticker with barcode is also on top of Goomba's head

36 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

If he doesn't have the frog suit we riot!

Growing up playing Super Mario Bros 3 the frog suit was one of my favorite suits, and have no idea why.  I wasn't that useful except for swimming without having to continuously tap A to swim.  I also loved the Tanooki (Racoon) suit and how you could tune to stone.  Oh, and not really a suit, but being able to sit inside that boot and hop around... so awesome and great memories :)

Super Mario Bros 3 NES - RetroGameAge

Edited by MusiKyle
  • Like 4