Super Mario 2020

Sets are expensive for what's included and on piece count, but whatever.  They got my money!

The price is due to the amount of new elements they made for these Mario sets...it's crazy how many new molds and printed pieces were made specifically for this line...LEGO put a lot into this line...we'll see how it goes.

Mario Starter Course is now sold out on Target and Walmart and ships in 2-4 weeks from Amazon.
Many of the expansion sets are backordered on Lego LEGO Shop at Home.

I really don’t get the theme or the appeal, but clearly LEGO is attempting to bank this as the new Minecraft. The whole course design and Mario as a character just looks weird and the power up packs feel super gimmicky.
  • Like 1

I honestly don't think these particular sets will be huge money makers. However, I think they will sell very well and open the door to more sets later on. Peach's Castle, Bowser's Castle, Hyrule Castle... Deku Tree? There is potential for a big UCS-style Mario set in the future and that's where the money will be. I don't think the 2020 sets will be the last in the Mario theme.

26 minutes ago, Serejai said:

I honestly don't think these particular sets will be huge money makers. However, I think they will sell very well and open the door to more sets later on. Peach's Castle, Bowser's Castle, Hyrule Castle... Deku Tree? There is potential for a big UCS-style Mario set in the future and that's where the money will be. I don't think the 2020 sets will be the last in the Mario theme.

I just hope they don't expand the same concept like a digital Link to rescue Zelda across a grid of 2x10s... I was hoping for minifigures and actual sets.  Haven't given up hope yet.  We did at least get the 18+ NES so that shows they're thinking outside the current Super Mario lineup and have been for a while. 

Edited by MusiKyle
  • Like 2

I have a family member who works for Target and they said that in the past 3 days they have worked in the toy section they have had at least 6 people ask each day if they have the starter set in stock. They said that they have never had so many people asking about 1 particular out of stock set before (they have worked there for 4 years).

• Like 2

Wish I felt better about these. How will this go? My assumption is, about the same as hidden side. Except hidden side sets have Halloween theme resale value.  LEGO  did set some nice ground work here for what I see as parent/child play time. Which (beyond a great time to bond)is also a chance to build product and theme nostalgia. Getting to build MOCs and including in the level will be a big help I think.  The parents that purchase and then hand to kid and walk away will probably get pissed there is no instructions in box (I"m of the mind I'd rather keep tablet devices separate from non device play time so app instructions not helping)  and Child alone just may get bored too quick.  I Myself grabbed starter, Bowsers castle, few twomp drops, and the NES system set.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Belac said:

Wish I felt better about these. How will this go? My assumption is, about the same as hidden side. Except hidden side sets have Halloween theme resale value.  LEGO  did set some nice ground work here for what I see as parent/child play time. Which (beyond a great time to bond)is also a chance to build product and theme nostalgia. Getting to build MOCs and including in the level will be a big help I think.  The parents that purchase and then hand to kid and walk away will probably get pissed there is no instructions in box (I"m of the mind I'd rather keep tablet devices separate from non device play time so app instructions not helping)  and Child alone just may get bored too quick.  I Myself grabbed starter, Bowsers castle, few twomp drops, and the NES system set.

I think the LEGO Mario sets will do better than the Hidden Side sets, mainly because Mario/Nintendo has such a large following and is easily recognizable and liked from a variety of age groups. I could definitely see more collectors trying to get all of their favorite characters and purchasing sets for display vs LEGO collectors buying a bunch of Hidden Side sets. There may be some sets in particular that could be sought out by collectors if certain characters aren't produced again in newer waves. And while both lines use Apps to interact or do things with particular sets, the LEGO Mario sets can be played w/out the App and still get a lot out of it. That's not to say that the Mario sets are without flaws. I hate that there are no instructions in the box with the sets and that you have to use the App to build things. And the rules of the Mario gameplay (through the courses you build) aren't very well defined. For example, there are some items that cannot be used multiple times in a short timeframe. And some items can only be used once per course run-through (time block comes to mind). If you try to build a really big course but can't add time to your gameplay more than once, it really limits what you can do. It would be nice to know what you can or can't do when you're trying to build a bigger course.

In any case, my son and I have purchased several of the expansion sets and have really enjoyed them with the main starter course. I've found it fun to build a variety of courses to play through and try. My kid (5 years old) still enjoys playing with the characters more and making them interact vs running Mario through a timed course. Perhaps that's how most younger kids are with this particular line, while the older kids would rather compete and collect coins.

While it's still early in the grand scheme of things, I did find it impressive that all of the expansion sets were on backorder on the LEGO site. Just checking now, even the starter kit is now on backorder too. How many other lines with +10 sets do you see that happen to with their initial release? Perhaps LEGO under-estimated the demand initially and will have everything back in surplus stock by the end of the month or early next month. But can they keep up with the demand into the holiday season? Time will tell...

• Like 4

On 8/9/2020 at 8:59 AM, Belac said:

sentiment from all parents during Covid:  LIMIT all screen time as much as possible

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

is there an actual incentive in the Mario game play...like get a bunch of coins and get some sort of LEGO online/app perk?...would an individual Mario unit keep track of all the past game play

Not that I’m aware of, though I honestly haven’t explored the app in great detail. The gathering of coins and high scores are mainly for “bragging rights” from what I can tell. I personally find more interest in displaying the sets (some of which look pretty good!) or playing with the kiddo with them then using the App for anything.

Ok I feel like I'm missing something... I got the starter kit (mostly so I had a Mario for the NES, well played LEGO, well played) and the only thing I can see that you do with this is to create arbitrary courses that you then guide the little Mario guy through.  That can't be it?