COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

Yay capitalism, why worry about U.S. doctors, nurses and citizens when there is money to be made. You can't make this stuff up, if we just took almost every early decision made by administration and corporations and inverted it we would have a winning virus defeating strategy. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/04/02/us-exports-masks-ppe-china-surged-early-phase-coronavirus/5109747002/

https://www.foxnews.com/media/florida-emergency-official-3m-selling-masks-overseas

https://www.propublica.org/article/in-desperation-new-york-state-pays-up-to-15-times-the-normal-price-for-medical-equipment

Summary: China bought medical supplies on the cheap early on and is now selling them back to us at huge markup.

Edited by junkrigger
something for everyone

Industrial reconversion and sense of humor in Italy:

"Maybe it is true that we Italians are in a difficult situation.
But tell me where you will find another such country:
in which aprons for doctors are sewn by ARMANI,
FERRARI is manufacturing respirators,
GUCCI is making face masks,
and sanitizing gel is made by BULGARI ??? 
We may end up in hell, but in style! "
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

I hate that I found this on r/conspiracy, but after watching the 10 minute video, it does seem to be public record he is referencing. Again, to each their own, but I thought it fitting to share this input. Please remove if needed.

China = Umbrella Corp

Plays out just like Resident Evil...sans flesh eating zombies

Whether CV was lab-made or Wet Market made...the issue is mainly the lack of communication by the Chinese Government. This may never get improved.

IMO, the big lesson here is that Airports around the world need to have a lock-down mechanism at any hints of any transmissible novel disease and ongoing temperature screening at all major hubs.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/03/31/how-bad-will-unemployment-get-heres-what-the-experts-predict/

“The coronavirus outbreak could cost 47 million jobs next quarter, according to estimates by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. That would translate to an unemployment rate of 32.1%, well above the 24.9% rate it was at during the Great Depression.”

51 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/03/31/how-bad-will-unemployment-get-heres-what-the-experts-predict/

“The coronavirus outbreak could cost 47 million jobs next quarter, according to estimates by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. That would translate to an unemployment rate of 32.1%, well above the 24.9% rate it was at during the Great Depression.”

What I don't understand is the Relief package which includes an extra $600/week per filer in addition to unemployment benefits

So if I'm a worker who used to makes $20/hr; then by being unemployed I'm collecting unemployment. So that's 60% of my regular pay of $800 which is $480 a week.

$480 + $600 = MORE than my regular salary...for not working.  Hmmm. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

What I don't understand is the Relief package which includes an extra $600/week per filer in addition to unemployment benefits

So if I'm a worker who used to makes $20/hr; then by being unemployed I'm collecting unemployment. So that's 60% of my regular pay of $800 which is $480 a week.

It's temporary. Everyone is worried that people won't return to work because “they can make more doing nothing!” Benefits will go back to the old system and people will go back to work. These are extraordinary times.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Thus the reason why small businesses need to apply for the PPP(Payroll Protection Program) and keep people on the payroll.  We applied this afternoon.  I will let you know how it goes, but if it works, I will be able to pay all my employees for two months with the help of the Feds.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Thus the reason why small businesses need to apply for the PPP(Payroll Protection Program) and keep people on the payroll.  We applied this afternoon.  I will let you know how it goes, but if it works, I will be able to pay all my employees for two months with the help of the Feds.  

There's two separate SBA programs: the PPP and the Cv Disaster Relief.  The latter is more suitable if your business is currently nonessential and temporarily closed...since you won't have any salaries to pay.  Well That's what my accountant recommended.  the $10K "grant" that may be "forgiven" is available for either programs.  It's all a bit fluid and uncertain w/ the banks scrambling.  Everyone expects the money to dry up due to overwhelming demand.

2 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

Anybody been watching the prices on Isopropyl Alcohol on Ebay?

The sold prices are insane! A 32 ounce bottle is averaging around 30$ + insanely overpriced shipping rates. Selling almost as quick as they post them as well. 

Gtfo !!! I’m selling then 16oz 70% for $2.50 at my pharmacy and this one customer accused me of price gauging 

3 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

Anybody been watching the prices on Isopropyl Alcohol on Ebay?

The sold prices are insane! A 32 ounce bottle is averaging around 30$ + insanely overpriced shipping rates. Selling almost as quick as they post them as well. 

That's probably on par w/ the cost of domestic vodka...but I guess 40% alcohol ain't good enough

Folks should make their own alcohol...water, sugar, spit, and 5 days will get you most of the way there😁

7 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Gtfo !!! I’m selling then 16oz 70% for $2.50 at my pharmacy and this one customer accused me of price gauging 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=isopropyl+alcohol+&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Check it out. Been watching this stuff all day. 

EDIT: Open in new tab for the link to work. 

Edited by dennugsmello
  • Confused 1

people being paid for “not working” have had to work continuously to earn their unemployment benefit. Workers who just started out in a job aren’t able to file in most states. Many states aren’t going to be able to pay benefits if these numbers do indeed continue to climb, hence the fed support. Also keep in mind that some state’s max weekly unemployment isn’t even $300. Some, like Mississippi, max out at $235 a week. To compound this, most states stop paying Benefits in as little as 13 weeks while others tap out at 26 weeks.

This isn’t a handout to most—it is a lifeline.
  • Like 6

On 4/1/2020 at 11:50 PM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Other nations such as Taiwan and Singapore (countries that get a relative A+ for handling the pandemic BTW) have a writband they give incoming travelers that are synced w/ their cell phones.  They basically set up a perimeter around their place of residence and the wristband tracks their movement.  Its effectiveness is probably more psychological than technical; but basically tells the individual that they mean business.

In SF Bay Area, it's staggering how much higher the numbers are for Santa Clara Co. than the other 7 counties; it's also better known as "Silicon Valley" to the rest of the world. Anyway there's speculation that the reason for its disproportionate numbers is due to the Chinese travellers who returned home and probably didn't do a good job of self-quarantining.

I think there are both stupid and evil people out there that can really do harm as a potential super spreader. There needs to be some regulations and penalties with some teeth. A purposeful or negligent super-spreader is criminal in my opinion.

The Problem with US is (no offense meant) is that each country / region in the world has some specific, nation-wide belief or predisposition how to handle "things". The bad for the US is that since WW2 all of your citizens were brought up, tought, made to believe "we are invencible, we are the best in the world".. it certainly helped you through many bad periods but its your, literal, Achilles'n heel..  which is more than ever quite obvious in tihs crisis.. being the totally incompetitive president downplaying the hazard and risks.. to NYC Cuomo realizing much faster than Trump what is in stake - though still totally lacking the appropriate response. to the latest development of yesterday.. STILL NO GENERAL RULE on wearing any masks or other protective equipment in public.. STILL .. the inherited feel of "WE ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD" clouds the judgements of all responsible bodies.. and even an every single American.

You are just destined to get the true downfall of this medical crisis to realize, that you "ARE NOT THE BEST" in the world.. that you CAN NOT make everything work by pushing  into circulation money from the FRB.. that you as human beings are as much fragile as everybody else in the world. and yes.. I would very much love to see some federal ruling that any leverage stock exchange trades should not be allowed any more in the future (which is what considerably adds to the worlwide economy).

Edited by crayxlp

4 hours ago, crayxlp said:

The Problem with US is (no offense meant) is that each country / region in the world has some specific, nation-wide belief or predisposition how to handle "things". The bad for the US is that since WW2 all of your citizens were brought up, tought, made to believe "we are invencible, we are the best in the world".. it certainly helped you through many bad periods but its your, literal, Achilles'n heel..  which is more than ever quite obvious in tihs crisis.. being the totally incompetitive president downplaying the hazard and risks.. to NYC Cuomo realizing much faster than Trump what is in stake - though still totally lacking the appropriate response. to the latest development of yesterday.. STILL NO GENERAL RULE on wearing any masks or other protective equipment in public.. STILL .. the inherited feel of "WE ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD" clouds the judgements of all responsible bodies.. and even an every single American.

You are just destined to get the true downfall of this medical crisis to realize, that you "ARE NOT THE BEST" in the world.. that you CAN NOT make everything work by pushing  into circulation money from the FRB.. that you as human beings are as much fragile as everybody else in the world. and yes.. I would very much love to see some federal ruling that any leverage stock exchange trades should not be allowed any more in the future (which is what considerably adds to the worlwide economy).

This plays in my head every day that I wake up in America.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

This plays in my head every day that I wake up in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjcOJmoJwpk

heyy! thanks! that was one of the songs that I loved as being a teenager (this one in particular being in Karate Kid I finale)... pretty cool!

- but still, the rest of my arguments stay. You may try to give them a though or two. There is no dispute whatsover that in 3 or 6 months this would be over, but at this moment, almost every single country in the world was totally unprepared for it, but not every tried to make it a slight, unimportant issue.

Edited by crayxlp

The vitriol and hatred you have for the United States and her citizens are very very clear.

I would say more, but you’ve spoken very well for yourself.

And for any of you questioning his beliefs, please keep in mind he just painted everyone - conservative, liberal, and everyone in between with the same broad brush.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

The vitriol and hatred you have for the United States and her citizens are very very clear.

And for any of you questioning his beliefs, please keep in mind he just painted everyone - conservative, liberal, and everyone in between with the same broad brush.

I have to appreciate your wondeful insight - regarding my posts - how much "i Hate US".. truly.. amazing! it would require some time to go through all my posts since joining (cca 3´yrs back) to get some substantial base for that.

my points regarding the virus spread /based on EU experience)  might be farfetched, unwelcomed, over- , clouded(?), misguided.. whatever else you want to put in here.. if you accuse me of being attacking the U.S.A. on the basis of all the evil, then it is not true. I just state that you are way past the line when you could significantly reduce the spread, your official bodies knew that (and ignored that) and the history is going to show THAT.  That is all. 

its been like a week that I suggested / posted here that you (= in US) should wear some mouth protective cloth.. Get a look at the guidance / rulings of your authorities.. they are always like a month late..

Your GOV says that they register at this moment around 210.000 positive? - get a grip! - you have already more than 5x times that given not just your ludicrious approach to this but also based on the EU stats. You will be "lucky" ( no offense meant), if you are able to control this to get less than 2 mil infected. - although there is no dispute that the exponential spread was given and ALLOWED by the lack of the proper approch from your US Pres / gov.

Edited by crayxlp
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

There’s no vitriol or hatred there. It’s a diagnosis of a problem. This is one of those times where it’s better to listen than immediately react. Just because someone isn’t praising you doesn’t mean they hate you.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

BTW.. technical question. since when are the United States of America (regarding the grammar) considered as "SHE"?.. I might be able to envision that in case of Canada and Her Majesty Queen.. 

- but US? 

Please do tell (just for my personal scholar use, thanks).

There’s no vitriol or hatred there.

Not surprisingly, we disagree.

I have to appreciate your wondeful insight - regarding my posts - how much "i Hate US".. truly.. amazing! it would require some time to go through all my posts since joining (cca 3´yrs back) to get some substantial base for that.

I don’t need to go back 3 years. It’s right there in your post.

The bad for the US is that since WW2 all of your citizens were brought up, tought, made to believe "we are invencible, we are the best in the world".. STILL .. the inherited feel of "WE ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD" clouds the judgements of all responsible bodies.. and even an every single American.

You are just destined to get the true downfall of this medical crisis to realize, that you "ARE NOT THE BEST" in the world.. that you CAN NOT make everything work by pushing  into circulation money from the FRB.. that you as human beings are as much fragile as everybody else in the world.

“Every single American”. You are quite simply expressing your opinion that you hope every single American will learn a lesson from this. That we will get knocked down a peg or two, because we think “we are the best in the world.”

You are ignorant to our political system. You’ve shown that many times in this thread. And you are ignorant of our school system.

I’m done with you and this conversation. I’m going to just let you sound like the ignorant, hateful person you clearly are.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Not surprisingly, we disagree.

I don’t need to go back 3 years. It’s right there in your post.

“Every single American”. You are quite simply expressing your opinion that you hope every single American will learn a lesson from this. That we will get knocked down a peg or two, because we think “we are the best in the world.”

You are ignorant to our political system. You’ve shown that many times in this thread. And you are ignorant of our school system.

I’m done with you and this conversation. I’m going to just let you sound like the ignorant, hateful person you clearly are.

quite frankly, I believe that is just you who mix the terms.

WHAT THE F/Ck.. H/LL has anyone's disagreement with people's behavior has to do with a political system / regime??? ARE YOU SANE?

and yes, believe it or not, every SINGLE American (perhaps not some small kids, longterm disabled ill individuals and such / who simply are not able to grasp the realiity] will  remember this for years to come. You can check against 2009 situation.