Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2019 Deals

Bold-Arrow

Just now, Ed Mack said:

Black Fridays have been weak lately besides some great LEGO freebies.  Better deals come when you least expect them.

These past 3-4 years have gotten worse and worse. Whatever the bots don't buy out instantly ends up being a "hey, this thing will go on sale at a random time in the next 7 days. Keep spamming F5 to find out when!". Or websites can't handle the traffic and just outright fail. There are still some decent deals but as you said the best ones just aren't happening at this time of year anymore. For toys and games the spring clearance at box retailers seems to be the best time to get nice discounts on things these days.

1 hour ago, Serejai said:

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped, turned upside down.

It all started with a goal to spend $5,000 on Black Friday sales this year. I had most of it planned out, with a few backups in case certain items went out of stock too quickly. So I've been buying things all week, and I felt like I was doing okay with regards to my goal. Until this morning.

After staying up until 5am waiting to see if anything would happen with the Falcon, I finally called it quits and went to bed. I woke up around noon and saw that nothing had changed, so I ran out to grab breakfast. I got back home about half an hour later... and the Falcon was sold out. Apparently the Lightning Deal was announced about two minutes after I left the house, started two minutes before I got home, and sold out instantly. I was pretty bummed out, but what can you do? I can just spend that $500 on something else I guess.

That's when I made the mistake of checking my email. "Sorry, we oversold this product and had to cancel your order". Two emails from Kohl's, cancelling both of my orders from 12:01 AM Thursday morning. Total of $1,000 in products gone just like that. And it took them three days to figure out they oversold? I purchased in the first 30 seconds of the sale starting. How did this happen? To make things worse, I paid with gift cards. Yes, that's right. Before the sale I bought $1,000 in Kohl's gift cards at a pretty nice discount. So now I'm stuck with $1,000 in Kohl's gift cards. On the bright side they let me keep the ~$350 in Kohl's Cash I earned on the cancelled order. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's when I saw the other emails. Walmart, cancelled. Target, cancelled. Best Buy, cancelled. All oversold their products, apparently. I still have a LEGO order for Cloud City from last Saturday that charged my card but still says the order is processing in my account and I haven't gotten a confirmation email or anything (my other orders were already delivered on Tuesday). So I'm pretty sure that one isn't going to ship out, either.

So, about that goal of spending $5,000 this week. I did manage to spend $4,200 during the week. However, $2800 worth of orders across five retailers were either cancelled or have been pending for days. And what's worse, none of the charges have been refunded to my cards and probably won't be until Monday, which means I don't even have $1,800 of that available to spend on something else over the weekend. That leaves me with about $800 in cash and $1,000 in Kohl's gift cards to spend. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with Kohl's at the moment, but I figure I'll probably spend the rest of my cash on LEGO sets while I can. Hopefully the rest of the money will be refunded on Monday and there will be some Cyber Monday deals worth picking up.

TL:DR - Black Friday can eat me. BRING ON CYBER MONDAY!!!

I'd take $1K kohls GC with free $350 kohls cash any day of the week. You sure you are not bragging about your good luck, buddy?

1 hour ago, NIevo said:

I agree, however my average buy-in for the resort has been well under $60 so it's a tougher sell for me at $70.

I thought we were looking forward, instead of looking back? :)   

That thing is likely an $150+ set down the road. Plus with one tree every two resorts and VIP points, buy-in is < $70. 

1 hour ago, allen9917 said:

so with the frenzy last night, who is waiting to get some ninjago city tonight? 

I have been on the fence about this set for awhile.  If I get one, it would be for personal build.  Just not sure how it would look in a setup with the modular buildings.  Has anyone incorporated this in their city layout and do you think it fits in ok?

1 minute ago, BuckeyeFanDan said:

I have been on the fence about this set for awhile.  If I get one, it would be for personal build.  Just not sure how it would look in a setup with the modular buildings.  Has anyone incorporated this in their city layout and do you think it fits in ok?

City + Docks + Bounty is the best looking, best build I've ever done. I believe it will become an iconic trio years down the line. Mixed in with modular buildings however, probably not the best fit. 

18 minutes ago, BuckeyeFanDan said:

You can check this video out. Start watching it at about 3:48 minutes to see it placed among his modulars.

Edited by JoshB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zepp said:

Cool! I want one of those. Looks like the windmill that stood at City beach in my hometown. The city demolished it recently, so sad. 

Up for grabs!

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=Amsterdam-1&name=LEGO Store Grand Opening Exclusive Set, Amsterdam, Netherlands&category=[LEGO Brand][LEGO Brand Store][Grand Opening]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

• Thanks 1