Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

Quick question for the eBay pros.  I had two return requests from the holidays (December orders, both returns started after the 30 day return window):

1. $200 item.  Buyer changed their mind.  I emailed them back and said I would accept the return but noted the restocking fee.  They emailed me back and decided to keep the item.
  2. $20 item.  Buyer claims pieces were broken.  I emailed them back and explained how to get replacement pieces from LEGO.  They never emailed me back.

Neither of them printed a return shipping label or shipped the item back to me.  I received an automated eBay email this week nudging me to take action. 

Do I need to call eBay to get these cases closed or will they automatically close/expire after a certain amount of time? 

Thanks.

Was Item #2 BNISB?

Good thing is you've got proof of reaching out to the buyers. Since you have responded to them through Ebay they have a certain amount of time to get back to you. HOWEVER. If their claim isn't resolved by X date then they can request ebay get involved.

Might be a good idea to just double check by calling ebay. It would also be good for "Future Reference".

If they have "Opened a Case" and you have only responded by email or eBay messaging service then eBay thinks you have not responded at all; officially.

What you could do, within the Resolution Centre area is to copy paste your responses  so the status changes to Awaiting Buyers Response or similar wording.

Certainly in case one if you do that and then message them asking if they could just respond and close their case.
If you do nothing, eBay's system thinks you as a seller have ignored the cases and potentially will take action against you.

1 minute ago, CNH1974 said:

If they have "Opened a Case" and you have only responded by email or eBay messaging service then eBay thinks you have not responded at all; officially.

What you could do, within the Resolution Centre area is to copy paste your responses  so the status changes to Awaiting Buyers Response or similar wording.

Certainly in case one if you do that and then message them asking if they could just respond and close their case.
If you do nothing, eBay's system thinks you as a seller have ignored the cases and potentially will take action against you.

I'm not seeing any open cases in resolution center.  I accepted both returns before emailing the buyers so the ball should be in their court.  They are still listed under selling >> orders >> returns.

5 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Was Item #2 BNISB?

Yes, item #2 was BNISB. Best guess is pieces were lost or misplaced by a child or the buyer just wanted some free minifigs. 

1 minute ago, BrickLegacy said:

I'm not seeing any open cases in resolution center.  I accepted both returns before emailing the buyers so the ball should be in their court.  They are still listed under selling >

Hmmm, if there are no open cases, then on what grounds are eBay chasing you? I think a quick chat with their customer service may need to be in order, just to make sure you as a seller are covered. :)

I had a return request on 12/28, and (through Res Center) messaged them and offered a partial refund. eBay says they have until 2/10 to reply or they'll close the buyer's request.

So by my MN public school math, that comes out to like 40 days until it's closed automatically. And it looks like eBay will rule in your favor if the buyer goes AWOL.

I can confirm it will just close automatically if you don't touch it and they never respond. I had a return request late November, stating something along the lines of "wrong product, thought I bought something else". I explained my restocking fee, and asked them what they thought they were buying (the listing was pretty idiot proof). I got several emails from ebay saying to check on the status, but each email said "buyer has returned item, if you've received it please complete refund", but when I drilled down into the transaction, there was no indication they ever shipped, so I just let it ride until either they updated their end saying they'd shipped, or it went away on its own. The latter occurred. Never got a response, time elapsed, and then the transaction just disappeared from my pending returns list around Jan 10th or so. No negatives earned. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BrickLegacy said:

I'm not seeing any open cases in resolution center.  I accepted both returns before emailing the buyers so the ball should be in their court.  They are still listed under selling >> orders >> returns.

Yes, item #2 was BNISB. Best guess is pieces were lost or misplaced by a child or the buyer just wanted some free minifigs. 

as long as you accepted the returns and they didn't send back they will auto close no harm to you.  They don't have to use that return label so just keep an eye out if you get a return some other way from them.  Some people fill out the return and still use there own shipping for whatever reason.

The broken piece one is used a lot by scammer types and I have never had one actually send the item back when they put that reason.  

• Like 2

I got a potential buyer who wants to buy six sets from me. He's in Singapore though, so he asked that I pick the best six, and double box them.

Because I won't be mailing them directly to him, but through eBay fulfillment, am I still liable if his package gets damaged enroute?

If it's the global shipping as long as it reaches the depot at Darby in the condition you sent it once it leaves there it becomes ebays problem , I've had this issue with my main job I sell retro and vintage furniture and most of my Art Deco / teak mirrors go abroad I've had a few get broke in the past and eBay has refunded the buyer not my self hope this helps
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lottieslego said:

If it's the global shipping as long as it reaches the depot at Darby in the condition you sent it once it leaves there it becomes ebays problem , I've had this issue with my main job I sell retro and vintage furniture and most of my Art Deco / teak mirrors go abroad I've had a few get broke in the past and eBay has refunded the buyer not my self hope this helps

Hey Lottieslego. I'm having a problem with a damaged item received by a buyer right now. The guy is seeming pretty reasonable about things but just wants a refund. What steps did you take to make sure that you weren't liable for return costs etc. Exactly which option did you or the buyer take to resolve it fairly? Cheers, Adam :)

Edit - It was all proved to arrive at the GSP in proper condition etc, just need to know which option we use to like, blame it on GSP, as it was genuinely their fault :)

Edited by BarryZola

Hey Lottieslego. I'm having a problem with a damaged item received by a buyer right now. The guy is seeming pretty reasonable about things but just wants a refund. What steps did you take to make sure that you weren't liable for return costs etc. Exactly which option did you or the buyer take to resolve it fairly? Cheers, Adam
Edit - It was all proved to arrive at the GSP in proper condition etc, just need to know which option we use to like, blame it on GSP, as it was genuinely their fault

Hi Adam sorry for late reply been hectic week , If you ring eBay and explain that it arrived at the Darby global shipping in the condition it left you then it has got damaged on transit with them they should deal with it they will most likely tell you to tell the buyer to open a case then you just wait for eBay to step in and they will sort the case out and pay the refund , the best is to ring them and explain it all though as it covers your back and they can give the best advice , but that is what happened with my mirrors hope it helps it's a pain isn't it cos they don't take care of stuff , let me know how you get on mate
  • Like 1

I'm sure it states somewhere in all of the terms and conditions that the item is inspected upon reaching the GSP. It's never happened to me, but I expect that if your item turned up a bit smashed at the GSP compared to the pics and Ebay description, they'd probably alert you and refuse to send it on to the buyer. By sending it on to the buyer from the GSP I guess they're kind of by default accepting that the item has been received by them in the condition described in the Ebay listing. You'd have to have a read of the terms though for the 100% facts.

To further answer your question, my proof in this particular case was that I had fully insured signed for delivery to the GSP, so if the box was obviously damaged on arrival at the GSP, they could have just refused to sign for it in the very first instance. In that case I could have then got re-compense from the delivery firm for damage whilst in their care.

More a buying question, but seller is newbie...  Bought an item for local pick-up, but seller agreed to ship to me for agreed upon amount (via eBay messages) since I am only 30 miles away.  I went ahead and quickly paid for the item because it was a nice deal.  They could not figure out how to take it off of local pick-up.  

Can they send me an additional invoice on a particular item?  Or is the work around for them to issue me a paypal invoice for the shipment cost?

Their only suggestion was for me to send them a personal check :) 

Thanks for help.  I only ran into this once as a seller.  Someone asked for quicker shipping method after paying, so I just invoiced via paypal without any issue.  Want to make sure I am protected.

(FYI - 30 miles away = 1.5 hours+ where I live)

Edited by trstnkn
Added text

54 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

just received this message on eBay about my listing of a lego polybag, I didn't want to put this in the fruitcake thread because I like to give people benefit of a doubt, so let's please assume that what this person says is true-what would you do? Or is assuming that it's for real crazy?

IMG_3171.PNG

If you send it, let us know so that I can get the popcorn ready.

• Like 3

GSP buyer (in Italy) has advised me to change shipping address. Obviously I will only ship to GSP in the UK, and GSP ship out to Italy.  But if his address is incorrect in ebay/paypal then it will be shipped to the wrong address, he'll not get what he paid, come back to me and I’ll have to fight ebay.  Now I’ve told him he needs to update his address, but is there any way I can get ebay to tell him the process  as a, there is a language problem and b, he looks to be a new ebay user (2 feedback) and doesn’t seem to get GSP.   

Edited by feed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, feed said:

GSP buyer (in Italy) has advised me to change shipping address. Obviously I will only ship to GSP in the UK, and GSP ship out to Italy.  But if his address is incorrect in ebay/paypal then it will be shipped to the wrong address, he'll not get what he paid, come back to me and I’ll have to fight ebay.  Now I’ve told him he needs to update his address, but is there any way I can get ebay to tell him the process  as a, there is a language problem and b, he looks to be a new ebay user (2 feedback) and doesn’t seem to get GSP.   

No way to change shipping address once item has been paid for either via direct sale or GSP unfortunately. Have you shipped the item? Might be worth just asking him to cancel transaction to avoid problems. You can initiate the cancel transaction Sewell, there is an option which says something like "buyer requested shipping to another address".

Edited by Mhd747
  • Like 1