Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

36 minutes ago, asharerin said:

"This summer eBay will roll out Guaranteed Delivery in the United States, providing faster and more precise delivery dates for shoppers. At launch, eBay will guarantee delivery in 3 days or less on 20 million eligible items – millions of which will offer free shipping. In addition, shoppers will also be able to search for and filter items by 1- and 2-day delivery."

Very exciting news for the platform. As an avid online shopper I know I would purchase alot more on ebay with guaranteed 1 or 2 day shipping. Also very excited to have my items already stored at Amazon be eligible for this new program. In the past I have offered free 2 day shipping on ebay but it never really took off. With this new filter my items will be front and center to buyers where 1 or 2 day is the priority, and price is only an after thought.

I thought that there would have already been a search filter for "Fast & Free" results only (but it looks like there isn't).

Hopefully they will spend some of my ebay bucks, and TRS discount $ (both of which they recently halved) to advertise this new feature (which should also allow us to compete with Amazon Prime shipping).

35 minutes ago, KShine said:

I thought that there would have already been a search filter for "Fast & Free" results only (but it looks like there isn't).

Hopefully they will spend some of my ebay bucks, and TRS discount $ (both of which they recently halved) to advertise this new feature (which should also allow us to compete with Amazon Prime shipping).

Lots of retailers are finally figuring out free 2 day shipping is key and the war is starting. Walmart is already onboard. Ebay is getting started this summer. Hopefully Target will follow suit. So many opportunities.

Of course Bezos has been planning for this for many years and by the time the other platforms catch up Amazon will roll out 3 hour but until then going to be a good 18-24 months selling on ebay.

Edited by asharerin

• 1 month later...

Question on Global Ship Program:

Buyer wants to buy 4 listings.

I believe he will pay Global Ship for each one.  Then when I ship as one unit with correct dims/weight, will eBay then reimburse him for the shipping overage?

Can anyone give guidance on the easiest way to make the sale for me and the buyer?

Thanks in advance...

55 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

I believe he will pay Global Ship for each one.  Then when I ship as one unit with correct dims/weight, will eBay then reimburse him for the shipping overage?

Can anyone give guidance on the easiest way to make the sale for me and the buyer?

Thanks in advance...

You are correct he will pay GSP fee for each item,  not sure if he will be reimbursed for the overage if you combine them into one shipment. This may work for you make a new listing with the 4 items he wants put the weight and box dimensions into the appropriate fields. Even if you offer free shipping continental USA he should be able to add the item to his cart and get an eBay GSP shipping estimate. 

Edited by Pseudoty

3 hours ago, trstnkn said:

Thanks in advance...

I've always creating a new listing (or edited one) for the buyer. 

Pros - everything in one order (you know shipping cost for you & buyer only gets one GSP fee)
Con - might take the value over the threshold for tax / vat / custom charges so buyer get hits with additional charges (will be included in GSP fee that the buyer sees before buying)

Not sure on this but if the buyer buys 4 separate listings and pays for them separately but you combine ship, it might show as only one item shipped as each transaction has a unique GSP code.

Received my second Item not Received case today.

Tracking shows delivered, so I asked the buyer to look all around their place.  They claim that they have looked, but also admitted it could have been stolen.  I suggested trying to call the local post office and verify it was delivered to the correct address.  Is there anything else to be done at this point?  I know what happens if eBay finds in their favor, but what happens to the buyer if they find in my favor, are they out the money?

50 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Received my second Item not Received case today.

Tracking shows delivered, so I asked the buyer to look all around their place.  They claim that they have looked, but also admitted it could have been stolen.  I suggested trying to call the local post office and verify it was delivered to the correct address.  Is there anything else to be done at this point?  I know what happens if eBay finds in their favor, but what happens to the buyer if they find in my favor, are they out the money?

No. eBay will refund buyer and you keep the money.  

• Like 2

And eBay just might side in your favor all together.  Buyers with history of pulling that are getting denied of late.  Last 2 or 3 have been closed with no refund to the buyer.  Just verify the delivered scans zip code does match the shipping address zip code.  

20 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

And eBay just might side in your favor all together.  Buyers with history of pulling that are getting denied of late.  Last 2 or 3 have been closed with no refund to the buyer.  Just verify the delivered scans zip code does match the shipping address zip code.  

Hmm, if eBay is really serious about policing the scammers, that maybe enough to bring some old pro sellers back from Amazon

Think those are just easy to monitor as they are reviewed and see the repeat offenders.  

They still can't stop the Markley St address scam though.

600 Markley St

Port Reading, NJ 07064

Google that for some fun reads.  Not sure why the address just can't be blocked out of there system.  If they can block certain words in emails and listing titles they should be able to.  

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ravenb99 said:

Think those are just easy to monitor as they are reviewed and see the repeat offenders.  

They still can't stop the Markley St address scam though.

600 Markley St

Port Reading, NJ 07064

Google that for some fun reads.  Not sure why the address just can't be blocked out of there system.  If they can block certain words in emails and listing titles they should be able to.  

I enjoy reading about scams, but I felt 100% more stupid after reading the first few comments on that ebay community forum thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

I don't know that this buys is a scammer, but I'm not up on all the scamming techniques either.  Their account was a zero feedback account, which was created a couple years ago.  I've ran into this before and had no issues, so I wasn't overly concerned.

The zip codes match up, so that is good.  They want to know what their options are, and since they opened a case I just want to tell them to let eBay sort it out, but I also want to be helpful if I can.  The item was a Raptor Escape that they claim their kid saved up their money for, this kind of raises some flags but I don't want to automatically assume they're scammers.

Yeah you never really know that is why you just upload the tracking and let eBay handle it.  That is what the resolution center is for to protect both you and the buyer.    Can also add a message stating to call 800-ask-usps and they can look into it for you.  I always mention they use gps scanning now so they can see where it was actually delivered to on there end. Tell them they can escalate the case as well.  That gets you the case win and auto removal of bad feedback if they leave it.  It gets them there refund if they haven't used it up yet.  If not closed without refund and you are still protected.  

• Like 2

My Top Rated Seller status became active on 5/20. I've got the seal and the Power Seller logo next to my name. Sold an item yesterday (5/21) - have 30 day returns and 1 day Free shipping on all my listings. But somehow it shows "Discount: None" on my dashboard (and Top Rated: Bronze) and I'm still being charged a 10% fee, instead of the 9% I expected to pay. Does anyone know if this is intentional or whether I should call Seller support to get the fee reduced?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil B said:

My Top Rated Seller status became active on 5/20. I've got the seal and the Power Seller logo next to my name. Sold an item yesterday (5/21) - have 30 day returns and 1 day Free shipping on all my listings. But somehow it shows "Discount: None" on my dashboard (and Top Rated: Bronze) and I'm still being charged a 10% fee, instead of the 9% I expected to pay. Does anyone know if this is intentional or whether I should call Seller support to get the fee reduced?

It should kick in at your next evaluation date. The "Discount: None" refers to the status you had at the last evaluation date

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KShine said:

It should kick in at your next evaluation date. The "Discount: None" refers to the status you had at the last evaluation date

5/20 was the "next evaluation date" on which TRS became active (I had reached the qualifying criteria sometime in the month before). I had expected the discount to come with the status, but somehow it is not applying.

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

5/20 was the "next evaluation date" on which TRS became active (I had reached the qualifying criteria sometime in the month before). I had expected the discount to come with the status, but somehow it is not applying.

The TRS discount takes place when the monthly billing happens (not at the time of the sale) - although I'm not certain if that is what you are noticing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

What is your processing time set to? That is what has to be 1 day can still use Standard Shipping and get discount. 

• Like 1

once you get it the discount still does not take place until the following month like kshine stated above.

While you have it though do keep an eye on it every month on the 20th and make sure it stays.  I have had 2 times in the last year or 2 that it didn't show and I called and they confirmed it was a glitch and that it will get credited back.  It usually does but have to watch the invoice for them to double it up.  

Happens on store accounts too.  Sometimes they don't charge the month then charge twice the next.

• Like 1

So I sold our Lego 70751 Temple of Airjitzu on eBay, my item description read:

This item is Used & 100% Authentic Lego

Built by myself, it was 100% complete at the time of construction. I can not guarantee that it is still 100% complete. I kept it on display for one year, took it down, put it in a box in my closet.  The roof section came apart but should all be in the box. I will have to take a few sections apart to fit it in a box to ship, so it will not arrive completely together or apart. Instruction book will be included. 

here is their initial claim from the buyer:

Reason for return: Missing parts or pieces

Comments: The LEGO set had several missing pieces (not just from the top like the description suggested), and many of the pieces provided had grime or were chipped at or slightly damaged, which wasn t mentioned in the description. I had a hard time communicating with the seller because they would not reply to my messages (I sent 3) and I did not get what I was hoping for, sadly.

Here is my response to the buyer:
1. you said "The LEGO set had several missing pieces (not just from the top like the description suggested)" that is NOT true, first off the roof top section was taken off when I put it into storage, so it would be able to fit in my closet on the shelf. it was there in the box. I never suggested it was missing. I'm a Adult Lego builder & collector, as stated in my description: "Built by myself, it was 100% complete at the time of construction. I can not guarantee that it is still 100% complete" Me saying that I could not guarantee that it is still 100% complete was to cover my end just encase any piece or pieces came up missing when I stored it in my closet, and during the taking apart & shipping process. We are talking about tiny little Lego bricks it is not far fetched to think a set this large in size, in used condition might not be 100% I had an asking price of $170.00 you sent me an offer of $150.00 with the message of "Would you consider selling it at a lower price after removing the minifigures? I'm only interested in the set/building itself" so I accepted your offer since you didn't want the minifigures." I the accepted your offer. 2. you said "many of the pieces provided had grime or were chipped at or slightly damaged" Also NOT true, I stated in my description " I will have to take a few sections apart to fit it in a box to ship, so it will not arrive completely together or apart" while taking this apart there were NOTHING damaged or chipped like you are trying to falsely claim, as far as grime? well some dust yet as you can even see in the picture, there was some dust, I did say in my description " I kept it on display for one year" 3. you said " I had a hard time communicating with the seller because they would not reply to my messages (I sent 3)" You sent me an offer on 5-16, I accepted on 5-17 and you sent me a message saying about you wanted to know 2 things before you paid, I did not respond that day, and you paid anyway. so you id contradict yourself there by not waiting for my reply as you stated you wanted before you paid. The next day on 5-18 you sent another message you claimed it was 5-19 but it was not I saved the messages it was 5-18 the next day after you paid saying " I m slightly worried since I didn t get a shipping notification after my purchase on the night of 5/17" In my description it said: "Delivery: Estimated within 4-8 business days" You sent an offer on 5-16, I accepted on 5-17, you paid on 5-17, I shipped on 5-20, it was delivered on 5-22 so there is the timeline. You then sent a 3rd message on 5-20 about changing your shipping address, I already shipped the item at that time. I sent it to your verified paypal address. Overall, I felt uncomfortable with you for this whole transaction. in short you said you were not going to pay until I answered 2 questions, and then you paid anyway, you then you expected a shipping confirmation the day after paying (I need shipping and handling time) You then left neutral feedback right away before I could respond or even ship the item, heck before you even received the item (I do work at a real job not always on ebay sorry I didn't respond right away) so that rubbed me the wrong way. in your 3 message you wanted to change you shipping address, I started to feel like this was some sort of scam, as I was glad I already shipped the item to your verified address so my end is covered. Conclusion: My auction & description was100% true & accurate. You are falsifying documentation by saying it was not as described and or damaged, this is not true at all. and I feel you are trying to scam me and I will be reporting you to eBay. I stand by my auction of this Used Lego set that I could not guarantee was 100% complete and I do not accept returns or exchanges.

sorry for the length but this is the case, experienced sellers please let me know what you all think, thanks in advance....
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

Built by myself, it was 100% complete at the time of construction. I can not guarantee that it is still 100% complete. I kept it on display for one year, took it down, put it in a box in my closet.  The roof section came apart but should all be in the box. I will have to take a few sections apart to fit it in a box to ship, so it will not arrive completely together or apart. Instruction book will be included. 

Comments: The LEGO set had several missing pieces (not just from the top like the description suggested), and many of the pieces provided had grime or were chipped at or slightly damaged, which wasn t mentioned in the description. I had a hard time communicating with the seller because they would not reply to my messages (I sent 3) and I did not get what I was hoping for, sadly.

1. you said "The LEGO set had several missing pieces (not just from the top like the description suggested)" that is NOT true, first off the roof top section was taken off when I put it into storage, so it would be able to fit in my closet on the shelf. it was there in the box. I never suggested it was missing. I'm a Adult Lego builder & collector, as stated in my description: "Built by myself, it was 100% complete at the time of construction. I can not guarantee that it is still 100% complete" Me saying that I could not guarantee that it is still 100% complete was to cover my end just encase any piece or pieces came up missing when I stored it in my closet, and during the taking apart & shipping process. We are talking about tiny little Lego bricks it is not far fetched to think a set this large in size, in used condition might not be 100% I had an asking price of $170.00 you sent me an offer of $150.00 with the message of "Would you consider selling it at a lower price after removing the minifigures? I'm only interested in the set/building itself" so I accepted your offer since you didn't want the minifigures." I the accepted your offer. 2. you said "many of the pieces provided had grime or were chipped at or slightly damaged" Also NOT true, I stated in my description " I will have to take a few sections apart to fit it in a box to ship, so it will not arrive completely together or apart" while taking this apart there were NOTHING damaged or chipped like you are trying to falsely claim, as far as grime? well some dust yet as you can even see in the picture, there was some dust, I did say in my description " I kept it on display for one year" 3. you said " I had a hard time communicating with the seller because they would not reply to my messages (I sent 3)" You sent me an offer on 5-16, I accepted on 5-17 and you sent me a message saying about you wanted to know 2 things before you paid, I did not respond that day, and you paid anyway. so you id contradict yourself there by not waiting for my reply as you stated you wanted before you paid. The next day on 5-18 you sent another message you claimed it was 5-19 but it was not I saved the messages it was 5-18 the next day after you paid saying " I m slightly worried since I didn t get a shipping notification after my purchase on the night of 5/17" In my description it said: "Delivery: Estimated within 4-8 business days" You sent an offer on 5-16, I accepted on 5-17, you paid on 5-17, I shipped on 5-20, it was delivered on 5-22 so there is the timeline. You then sent a 3rd message on 5-20 about changing your shipping address, I already shipped the item at that time. I sent it to your verified paypal address. Overall, I felt uncomfortable with you for this whole transaction. in short you said you were not going to pay until I answered 2 questions, and then you paid anyway, you then you expected a shipping confirmation the day after paying (I need shipping and handling time) You then left neutral feedback right away before I could respond or even ship the item, heck before you even received the item (I do work at a real job not always on ebay sorry I didn't respond right away) so that rubbed me the wrong way. in your 3 message you wanted to change you shipping address, I started to feel like this was some sort of scam, as I was glad I already shipped the item to your verified address so my end is covered. Conclusion: My auction & description was100% true & accurate. You are falsifying documentation by saying it was not as described and or damaged, this is not true at all. and I feel you are trying to scam me and I will be reporting you to eBay. I stand by my auction of this Used Lego set that I could not guarantee was 100% complete and I do not accept returns or exchanges.

sorry for the length but this is the case, experienced sellers please let me know what you all think, thanks in advance....

This isn't going to end well. I'd recommend you accept the return because eBay is going to force it down your throat anyways. A message like that would only add a sure negative feedback on top of the return eBay forces.

Rebuild it, then resell it for a higher price like you were initially attempting to do anyways.

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

Even if you're not going to accept the return voluntarily, stick to a short and professional response. Do not mudsling and get emotional.

• Like 3

Just approve the return and move on if you haven't done so already.  It's fine to add a message first then approve the return (although I would not state I feel like this is a scam in a response) but if they ask ebay to step in the return will get approved anyways and you will get a defect which hurts you in the long run.  Ebay does not care who is wrong or right.  They care about you taking care of a customer that is not happy at this point.

9 times out of 10 the "missing pieces" complaints do not send the item back anyways.  Just approve the return and see what happens.

Getting a defect hurts your seller ranking and is the one bad thing that you can really get anymore under the new seller scores.  Having one on your account will also lower your search placement for listings.  It is not worth it.  If you get it back just relist it.

Edited by ravenb99

5 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

.............................(cut out due to length)

Unfortunately you let your emotions get the better of you in your response. Always avoid using accusatory terms like "You did this, You said that..." We (BPers) don't doubt that you are a AFOL, but the person buying your set doesn't care. (usually)

Since you communicated directly through ebay, ebay will see the communication chain.

Before you take the next step call ebay and talk with them. They'll look over the correspondence, the listing and your track record and help make a viable recommendation for you.

Just be prepared for ebay to not rule in your favor. Hopefully this wont be the case, but still...

If it was me I'd approve the return and move on. As others have said, it's the cost of doing business on ebay.

• Like 3

If the buyer reads that whole paragraph, I'd be mighty impressed. I couldn't get past a couple lines before my eyes started to wander and my brain started saying "ack."

I mean this respectfully, but if you don't want to claim the set is 100% complete, avoid using "100%" anywhere in your description. We all know buyers don't read descriptions. Keep it simple...

"Adult owned, not guaranteed to be complete - i.e. it may have missing pieces and I did not verify the included pieces against the parts list. In good condition and will be shipped partially disassembled."

Nobody cares if you built it (though some do like the adult built part) or had it in a closet for a year.

ALSO - You really should ship disassembled unless specifically requested by the buyer. Greater chance to have stuff bounce around and get scratched up. If I opened a box with a bunch of partially built sections and some loose bits, I'll likely be frustrated right from the start trying to figure out how to build the damn thing (or that I have to take it apart just to get the build enjoyment).

• Like 4