Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

GSP buyer (in Italy) has advised me to change shipping address. Obviously I will only ship to GSP in the UK, and GSP ship out to Italy.  But if his address is incorrect in ebay/paypal then it will be shipped to the wrong address, he'll not get what he paid, come back to me and I’ll have to fight ebay.  Now I’ve told him he needs to update his address, but is there any way I can get ebay to tell him the process  as a, there is a language problem and b, he looks to be a new ebay user (2 feedback) and doesn’t seem to get GSP.   

I believe the only option for him to fix his shipping address is for you to cancel the order, let him fix his address. Because it's GSP you'll be shipping to the GSP address. IF you change the address you won't be covered.
  • Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, feed said:

GSP buyer (in Italy) has advised me to change shipping address. Obviously I will only ship to GSP in the UK, and GSP ship out to Italy.  But if his address is incorrect in ebay/paypal then it will be shipped to the wrong address, he'll not get what he paid, come back to me and I’ll have to fight ebay.  Now I’ve told him he needs to update his address, but is there any way I can get ebay to tell him the process  as a, there is a language problem and b, he looks to be a new ebay user (2 feedback) and doesn’t seem to get GSP.   

In my instance, the set was already shipped... If you post to the address stated in eBay/PayPal, you're covered and it's toughshit if the buyer is careless. There's one women in Devon (UK) that I shipped a set to and she left her old address on eBay/PayPal. I had a returns label and I've still not got the set back after 3 months! However, eBay let me keep the funds and the buyer lost out and I think it serves them right for being careless. She's even asked for the original posting receipt to claim as the scanned one asn't accepted. I'm unable to send it as I'll need it if I get tax audited. At least she won't make that mistake again, stupid buyers need to learn.

Open up an eBay chat session and you'll be sorted in minutes, that what I did.

Edited by TabbyBoy

I’m going to can it.  The guy obviously ordered, then remembered he hadn’t changed his address since moving.  I know I’m covered if I send to GSP but I don’t want the guy to lose out, it’s a kids set, so no doubt a gift of some sort.  Shame I lose a 50% FVF on it though.    

You could try TabbyBoy's approach.
Contact buyer have them update paypal address. After its changed chat with eBay and see if they can change the shipping address to the updated address on their end. If not let the buyer know you have to cancel otherwise they would not get the package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pstebbing said:

You could try TabbyBoy's approach.
Contact buyer have them update paypal address. After its changed chat with eBay and see if they can change the shipping address to the updated address on their end. If not let the buyer know you have to cancel otherwise they would not get the package.

I'm exhausted just reading that and then thinking about it. *Cancel*

I’ve cancelled it.  If there hadn’t been any language complications I may have been tempted to give it a go. But I’ve had an experience with miscommunication on an Italian GSP sale before that took 3 hours to fix and I’m not keen to relive that.    

2 minutes ago, feed said:

I’ve cancelled it.  If there hadn’t been any language complications I may have been tempted to give it a go. But I’ve had an experience with miscommunication on an Italian GSP sale before that took 3 hours to fix and I’m not keen to relive that.    

well there ya go. Your previous experience has made your decision easier.

18 minutes ago, feed said:

From a UK perspective, the main countries which always pose a problem on eBay (based on my personal history and eBay sellers forums etc) for sellers within EU seem to be Italy & Russia. Personally I have blocked all buyers from there as I've also been scammed from both these countries and no longer ship to them even via GSP. 

If you ship items directly, always try to use royal mail tracked and signed instead of tracked only or signed only aswell (if that option is available). If the option is tracked only vs signed only, I would also send signed for as if there is a paypal claim signed for is what they prefer.

Have my first interesting order in my 500+ clean eBay transactions. Person orders and I ship. I get positive feedback a week later. Now a month after shipping the item he sends the product is damaged email and that the LEGO store needs the receipt. I send him an apology and link to the LEGO web store where you can order replacement parts at no cost. 

He then responds 3 days later that he actually needs it because he drop shipped the set sourcing me on Amazon and they are opening a complaint and he needs to prove it was authentic and bought direct from a LEGO dealer or else gets the Amazon ban hammer. I save everything and have my receipt from the Walmart clearance, but I really don't know if I should be sending him copies of my receipts to resolve this or if that is the actual reason at this point. Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, emmers said:

Have my first interesting order in my 500+ clean eBay transactions. Person orders and I ship. I get positive feedback a week later. Now a month after shipping the item he sends the product is damaged email and that the LEGO store needs the receipt. I send him an apology and link to the LEGO web store where you can order replacement parts at no cost. 

He then responds 3 days later that he actually needs it because he drop shipped the set sourcing me on Amazon and they are opening a complaint and he needs to prove it was authentic and bought direct from a LEGO dealer or else gets the Amazon ban hammer. I save everything and have my receipt from the Walmart clearance, but I really don't know if I should be sending him copies of my receipts to resolve this or if that is the actual reason at this point. Thoughts?

That's a H.A.M right there . Chances are your receipts won't help since seller performance require invoices that show the company name and address . Even if they were to accept a retail receipt, since he bought it from you adds an extra layer of "inauthenticity" .The reason seems legit though based on the wave of scammers hitting Amazon 3p sellers . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, emmers said:

IMO this isn't your problem.

According to the Amazon selling thread this is getting more common and I'm not sure a retail receipt would help that much. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

That's a H.A.M right there . Chances are your receipts won't help since seller performance require invoices that show the company name and address . Even if they were to accept a retail receipt, since he bought it from you adds an extra layer of "inauthenticity" .The reason seems legit though based on the wave of scammers hitting Amazon 3p sellers . 

Thanks BA. Still crafting my response to him. At this point I'm feeling like not entertaining the request. I'm learning how big the drop shipping game is. Still a little baffled how he made anything buying a 21118 Mine off me for $166 when looking at Amazon prices and knowing the fees. 

4 minutes ago, emmers said:

Thanks BA. Still crafting my response to him. At this point I'm feeling like not entertaining the request. I'm learning how big the drop shipping game is. Still a little baffled how he made anything buying a 21118 Mine off me for $166 when looking at Amazon prices and knowing the fees. 

Might have oversold his supply, and used you to avoid getting in trouble with Amazon (which now backfired on him).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Might have oversold his supply, and used you to avoid getting in trouble with Amazon (which now backfired on him).

Gets better. I went back through my sold items and he tried to buy a 21118 from me 5 days before and cancelled that order before I shipped. Didn't pay attention that it was the same account. 

19 minutes ago, emmers said:

He made $5 by basically doing nothing.  Only this time it backfired on him.  Agreed with everyone else that this is not your problem

• Like 1

Just sold a set (> 200€) to a buyer from Italy. Checked his stats and immediately got a bad feeling: New user, zero feedback.

He already paid via paypal. 

Shipping with DHL International would be tracked of course but still unsure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated!

Keep the DHL receipt in a safe place! And Google him and check the adress on Google Maps to ease your mind. What shipping policies do you have? If you don't have a a "Ship within 24 hours" policy you could wait 1 or 2 days before shipping the item to check if ebay or paypal raise a flag for fraud. 

I've sent lots of stuff to basically everywhere in Europe in the last years. Sending to Italy is always a pain in the a** as their postal service is soooo slow which often causes complaints from buyers. The Italian Postal service is even worse than Royal Mail. It always baffles me how a package gets delivered to Transalvania (Romania) in two days but takes between 7-14 Days to Italy or the UK. If you got any more questions you can of course also PM me in German if you like.

Edited by TigerG
  • Like 1

Can I simply cancel a sale if the buyer hasn't paid after 2 days or do I have to go through Resolution Centre? Any comeback if cancelling is an option?

I'm hoping they don't pay because, on reflection, I could sell the set locally for the same price but won't have hassle of posting/being ripped off for the mini figures.

Edited by Scatterbug

15 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

Can I simply cancel a sale if the buyer hasn't paid after 2 days or do I have to go through Resolution Centre? Any comeback if cancelling is an option?

I'm hoping they don't pay because, on reflection, I could sell the set locally for the same price but won't have hassle of posting/being ripped off for the mini figures.

No you can't, minimum is 4 days to open a no paid case.

6 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

Thanks. Will I have the option to cancel then or will they prompt the buyer first?

There is a difference between opening a not paid case and cancelling a transaction. In the latter, you cannot cancel transaction because of non=payment, you need to open a not paid case. Whenever you open a cancel transaction case it gets sent to the buyer, and he has the option to accept or decline the cancelling of the transaction, if i remember correctly, if they decline it gets escaleted to ebay (not had this scenario in a very long time so cant remember if this is still the case). 

You have the option to open a non payment case after 4 days, there is also an option you can select in ebay in the options that automatically opens a case after 4 days, and another option which closes the case automatically after 4 days.

It's worth putting on those options as most of the time i usually forget and lose track.

• Like 2