Ideas #019: 21312 - Women of NASA

Val-E

I didn't buy any, as I am not a quick Flipper, I guess I could of  ran out and gotten 50, but unless you can flip these fast, its not worth it for me, just the RI a year ago, look at that set now, Just like like 21312 Woman of Nasa set, I doubt if this set will ever see the big returns like when it was issued. If I had 35 and up I would returning them, plus who know's how long these will be out. Now the 21309 is a different story. I have 20 and thats it, this set will always be popular, I have not been selling on ebay since Sept as I have 195 Paypal transactions, but selling on Cragslist I have made $70,000 cash since january, I get people come to my house and when they come to buy one or two thinks most usually spend a thousand-$6,000 way easy money 100% better than  ebay, but I will start back on ebay back in January.     Ed

I didn't buy any, as I am not a quick Flipper, I guess I could of  ran out and gotten 50, but unless you can flip these fast, its not worth it for me, just the RI a year ago, look at that set now, Just like like 21312 Woman of Nasa set, I doubt if this set will ever see the big returns like when it was issued. If I had 35 and up I would returning them, plus who know's how long these will be out. Now the 21309 is a different story. I have 20 and thats it, this set will always be popular, I have not been selling on ebay since Sept as I have 195 Paypal transactions, but selling on Cragslist I have made $70,000 cash since january, I get people come to my house and when they come to buy one or two thinks most usually spend a thousand-$6,000 way easy money 100% better than  ebay, but I will start back on ebay back in January.     Ed

Dude...Are you TRYING to get robbed?
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest TabbyBoy
17 minutes ago, emazers said:

Is your house made out of the 10188s that you were stuck with? ;-) I agree with you on the 21309 as I'm going all-in every time I see them for sale, I'm up to 188 right now.

32 minutes ago, emazers said:

Do you list all your items on craigslist in ONE listing and list them all out with prices and such?

I tried doing that but it keeps getting removed for unknown reasons. Then I tried to open a new account and the listing also gets taken down. I gave up after a few tries on CL, all I get are lowballers in my area.

Edited by Lego_Monsters

10 minutes ago, Migration said:

I second that. I had over $40k stolen from my warehouse last year and I "only" met eight buyers here for transactions. Maybe 12 people in the world knew what I had on hand. Sheriff's detective completely useless, no recovery or follow up on the leads I gave them. Now it's like Wonka's factory: nobody goes in, and nobody comes out.

• Like 1

Just now, 4cs said:

I second that. I had over $40k stolen from my warehouse last year and I "only" met eight buyers here for transactions. Maybe 12 people in the world knew what I had on hand. Sheriff's detective completely useless, no recovery or follow up on the leads I gave them. Now it's like Wonka's factory: nobody goes in, and nobody comes out.

Jesus...40k? Holy...feel bad for you.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, Lego_Monsters said:

This video always remind me to not let anyone I don't know into my home and let them know I have stuff at home that's robbable. emazers have balls of steel.

17 minutes ago, Migration said:

I no longer keep anything at home. If somebody wants to visit to collect something, I will go to my lock-up in advance and ONLY get what they ordered. We have CCTV in our street, a brick-sh1t-house-tattooed policeman lives close by and a hard-arse stuntman nextdoor.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Lego_Monsters said:

Jesus...40k? Holy...feel bad for you.

Insured? Nobody knows where my lock-up is, not even those on here who I've dealt with several times. I keep my biggest sets in a mate's secure warehouse (finger print scanner and Hi-Def CCTV) and I've given him a manifest for full insurance. It's a shame that the World has gone like this. Penalties are not severe enough.

2 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I no longer keep anything at home. If somebody wants to visit to collect something, I will go to my lock-up in advance and ONLY get what they ordered. We have CCTV in our street, a brick-sh1t-house-tattooed policeman lives close by and a hard-arse stuntman nextdoor.

This day and age, you'd be more apt to have the stuntman stolen than the LEGO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Insured? Nobody knows where my lock-up is, not even those on here who I've dealt with several times. I keep my biggest sets in a mate's secure warehouse (finger print scanner and Hi-Def CCTV) and I've given him a manifest for full insurance. It's a shame that the World has gone like this. Penalties are not severe enough.

Would you be satisfied with their right hand or do you want to recommission Tyburn Tree?

5 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Insured, but for the $40k acquisition cost, not the market value. When I wiped my Brickfolio 10 months later, it was $60k. So on the bright side I apparently bought good stuff (and the thieves knew it!).

9 minutes ago, mizeur said:

Would you be satisfied with their right hand or do you want to recommission Tyburn Tree?

Sentenced to walk barefoot across a 20-foot stretch of 2x1 bricks.

Forget picking up sets. I'd pay $5 just for the emazer's home tour.  I'm sure it's like the Winchester Mystery House, but with passageways of boxed LEGOs leading to dead ends.

Or maybe for $20, you could have lunch with the Oracle of LEGO.

55 minutes ago, emazers said:

I didn't buy any, as I am not a quick Flipper, I guess I could of  ran out and gotten 50, but unless you can flip these fast, its not worth it for me, just the RI a year ago, look at that set now, Just like like 21312 Woman of Nasa set, I doubt if this set will ever see the big returns like when it was issued. If I had 35 and up I would returning them, plus who know's how long these will be out.

Exactly. The big money to make on these was 2 weeks ago in the US and who knows when or if in Europe. Buying more now is just going to be storage space and capital tied up for a year or more.

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Exactly. The big money to make on these was 2 weeks ago in the US and who knows when or if in Europe. Buying more now is just going to be storage space and capital tied up for a year or more.

it takes slightly more work to send in 60 then it does to send in 20.  large holiday sales volume even with thin margins can translate into big money if you can have it on hand when peak demand is hitting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cladner said:

it takes slightly more work to send in 60 then it does to send in 20.  large holiday sales volume even with thin margins can translate into big money if you can have it on hand when peak demand is hitting.

Sure but we can take bets on it never reaching 150 USD again.

8 minutes ago, Migration said:

I’ll just leave this here...Seller count is dropping fast. Make of it what you will.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2DL6N4

And so it should do 2 years after retirement. 60 USD was the price when NYT did their article so it was better to sell up then and reinvest than hold 2 years more.

RI was available for mere months yet its ass has been well annd truly kicked by a derivative Bionicle of all things.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

Is your house made out of the 10188s that you were stuck with? ;-) I agree with you on the 21309 as I'm going all-in every time I see them for sale, I'm up to 188 right now.

I never got stuck with my Death Stars, before the word came out that it was being reissued I was selling them for $500-600, then when the word got out I was still getting $450-500, "Don't forget I got mine early when Lego & Amazon,Etc had good sales, plus when Tru had the buy 2 get one free, and the best sale was when getting loads of them for $262.00 from Barnes and Noble with the 30% Kids coupon book, plus 10% Membership. So I made good money, not as good if they didn't do I remake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmc said:

I think the chances that a year from now we'll be wishing we had bought more of these > the chance that anyone who bought a bunch of these will feel any significant pain.

You know that this kind of comment can be said for any set. Now that there is a mass supply out there, and more to come for sure, there's no need to hold inventory of this. You can wait till after X'mas and as you guys all know, TRU will likely blow these out in a BOGO 40% or something like that. Also note that this is a United States demanded set, not globally demanded.

10 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

You know that this kind of comment can be said for any set. Now that there is a mass supply out there, and more to come for sure, there's no need to hold inventory of this. You can wait till after X'mas and as you guys all know, TRU will likely blow these out in a BOGO 40% or something like that. Also note that this is a United States demanded set, not globally demanded.

We wish we had more
latest?cb=20140530122427

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still a buyer on whatever trickle of copies I have on this. Way too early to declare it dead with any degree of certainty - we're currently at peak supply but at least an order of magnitude away from peak demand. LEGO does appear to have learned something from their underestimation of demand for the RI set, but if this becomes a must-have - and there's still slots available for must-haves this season, very few breakout toys - then we could easily be back to $75 a pop for these around December 11 or so. I would snap-buy 40 at MSRP if I had the chance.

• Like 2