Solo: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Message added by Jeff Mack

Link to the "spoiler/I have seen it" thread for Solo: A Star Wars movie (remember you need to "join" the club to view the content)
https://community.brickpicker.com/forums/topic/19227-the-i-have-seen-solo-and-want-to-talk-about-it-thread/

• 1 month later...

I saw it at the midnight showing earlier today. The theatre was about 1/4 full, although we were in the 2D screening so there may have been more people in the other screenings.

I enjoyed it. Much, much better than The Last Jedi (which I really disliked). Visually and tonally it's pretty similar to Rogue One, although more light-hearted. I'd say that if you liked RO then you'd probably enjoy this.

The cast was all solid, although Lando was in it less than I expected. The Han and Chewie relationship was probably the best thing for me. There were some nice touches of humour, although some of it did fall flat. Thankfully there was no RJ-inspired slapstick.

I was a little worried in the first ten or fifteen minutes that the movie wasn't going to work for me, given some odd character and dialogue choices, but after that things seemed to click into gear. I found it dragged a little between set pieces, although that's probably because I'm not used to the pacing of it. I had a similar issue with RO until I'd seen that a few times.

There were no major shocks or surprises, or things you can't see coming a mile off, with the exception of something right at the end which really comes out of left field.

Would I see it again? Possibly once more in the cinema, otherwise I'll just wait for the Blu-Ray. Maybe I'd have been a little more enthusiastic if my reaction to TLJ hadn't been so deflating.

Interesting to note that, yet again, there are scenes from the trailers that haven't made their way into the movie. I won't say which ones of course!

Question for mods: Is there going to be a thread in the Movie & TV Talk forum for discussion of the movie with spoilers?

Edited by binary_storm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, binary_storm said:

Question for mods: Is there going to be a thread in the Movie & TV Talk forum for discussion of the movie with spoilers?

Sure I will add one...

Ed and I just finished seeing the movie. Personally I thought the move was very good. Much better than some of the others.  I thought the kid did a great job and deserves more praise than bashing. It was a tall order to fill and I think he performed the role with respect. Nothing really negative to say about it at all right now.

Update...

Here is a link to the Spoiler Thread if you are member of the Movie Club and want to chat about the movie..

https://community.brickpicker.com/forums/topic/19227-the-i-have-seen-solo-and-want-to-talk-about-it-thread/

• Like 2

I liked it. The kid was great. Even though he really didn’t look or sound like Harrison Ford, I was able to overlook that and enjoy the film quite a bit. Chewy was great and as always, the Falcon delivered. Quality characters. Not much BS or fluff. Kept me entertained and explained a lot. Better than many other STAR WARS movies IMO.

• Like 3

Short and sweet, I liked it better than TLJ, I left it feeling satisfied. Not as good as Rogue One, there’s just so much eye candy in that one. Loved Han and Chewy, and also Lando, although he should have been used more. Good overall, but I agree with the 70% RT score.

I actually liked it...  As a gen xer that grew up with the originals, I can accept Alden as Han Solo, and I definitely liked Glover as Lando.   I think they fit well, and it worked similar to how Ewen worked as Obi-wan and didn't conflict with the character role built by Alec Guinness.

The story wasn't too over the top, and overall, the characters in this one were well done.  I felt most of them were interesting, and worthy of being in the Star Wars universe.  Wouldn't rank this as the best of the films, but it's definitely in the upper middle.

26 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

So I believe they said these actors signed up for up to 3 movies. So I wonder if this will allow them to explore more of his smuggling, different worlds, meeting up with other characters like Boba Fett, Greedo, Kenobi, and Jabba. 

Probably, they probably will. My hopes of new Star Wars content is fleeting.

In before you folks turn me against the film.

I enjoyed it. It was a fun film. It may have played it safe, but I felt like I was in the SW universe, and enjoyed it.

After Episode 9, please retire the Skywalker story for awhile and give us SW Story films. I’d rather explore some other parts of the universe for awhile.

And yes, I think they’ve set it up well for a series of Solo films. Or, if a Boba Fett or Obi-Wan film is happening, they could pick up some of the threads in this film and run with them elsewhere.

I agree, its got a lot of hype to live up too.  but if you can put all that aside and just watch it its a pretty good movie.  there are certainly thing to nit pick, but I think you really have to be looking for excuses not to like it overall.

and I am sure there will be tie ins with the boba fett moving coming out. with most of the actors contracted for more, I cant image we will not see glover involved at the least.  I could do with out emilia clark, but wouldnt mind seeing more of Enfys Nest (dont lookup if you want to avoid spoliers) story line.

Edited by jay4e

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

Probably, they probably will. My hopes of new Star Wars content is fleeting.

Don't worry, Rian Johnson is going to save the day with his incompetent and highly incoherent storytelling with a brand new trilogy.  Plus, we have the Game of Thrones producers coming up with a trilogy on their own.

1 hour ago, Jeff Mack said:

So I believe they said these actors signed up for up to 3 movies. So I wonder if this will allow them to explore more of his smuggling, different worlds, meeting up with other characters like Boba Fett, Greedo, Kenobi, and Jabba. 

With the announcement of the Boba Fett film (which i'm assuming will come around 2021 or 2022, I can't see how they won't resist having Han Solo in that film.  The cross-over sounds like a shoe-in.  Plus, they are signed up for 3 films, so that would take care of another one.  I'd be ok with a few more of these films with Han and Lando making appearances.  It's pretty evident they are going to be like Marvel now, where we will have a lot of spinoff standalone films, but characters crossing over and being in those films.  I'm ok with that as long as the films are good, and can stand on their own account.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the movie. I think this and Rogue One are decidedly better than the new trilogy movies. They look and feel like SW to me and I thought Glover and some of the other cameos and easter eggs were fantastic. I saw a 100% filled theater for the 7pm XD premiere and most of the people clapped at the end. I might check it out one more time in the theater  and will definitely pick up the blu ray. 

Edited by smittypop2
  • Like 5

Saw it today. I thought it was good, not great. Didn't feel like I was watching Han Solo, just some guy in a space flick. The guy playing lando nailed it though. He needed more screen time. Chewy was great and the story was fun, maybe a little too linear. Glad I saw it in the theater. These stand alone flicks are proving to be much better than the putrid disney trilogy films. 

Edited by marcandre

Finally got to see it today and thought it was a damn fine flick........... Not quite as good as Rogue one but hands above the last two SW episode movies (we wont even talk prequels.......lol). The one thing I believe keeps it from being on par with Rogue one was Lando's droid, just meh for me, while K-2SO was fabulous......... Just sayin..........=) 

I thought it was fine - low on the list of Star Wars movie for me but still a fun & entertaining addition to the universe. 

Pros

• Some nice humor and subtle nods to greater Star Wars universe
  • The action scenes didn't disappoint - I especially liked the train sequence
  • Donald Glover was great as Lando, as was Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton & Paul Bettany in their roles

Cons

• The voice acting for the CGI characters was brutal. Jon Favreau didn't work for me at all, I almost laughed out loud when Lady Proxima spoke, and the sassy robot character just annoyed me
  • Emilia Clarke - overrated as an actress and she bored the heck out me in this film. Though that was partially the writers' fault
  • Felt too long by 20-30 minutes

Just so so

• Alden Ehrenreich as Solo - I thought he was fine but I never felt like I was watching Han Solo. It felt like it was a movie about a different guy with the same name - he didn't capture the character for me, but I'm not sure anyone could have. 
  • Definitely a lot of "don't think too hard about this" writing. The whole time they were pulling of the main heist I just kept thinking "Really? It's this easy to rob something so valuable?" I understand the need for expediency to a degree but I would have gladly sacrificed some of the action for a more sophisticated story
  • Like 1