Solo: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Message added by Jeff Mack

Link to the "spoiler/I have seen it" thread for Solo: A Star Wars movie (remember you need to "join" the club to view the content)
https://community.brickpicker.com/forums/topic/19227-the-i-have-seen-solo-and-want-to-talk-about-it-thread/

• 1 month later...

“I had one theater owner once tell me that a movie theater wasn’t a place to go to the movies, it was a place people came to eat and that the movie was just there to pull people past the concession stand”

America is indeed different.

5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

“I had one theater owner once tell me that a movie theater wasn’t a place to go to the movies, it was a place people came to eat and that the movie was just there to pull people past the concession stand”

America is indeed different.

You should come to the US and experience watching movie in theater with full service kitchen.  Dinner and a movie in 1 place :P

It is not new concept really.  Gas stations like 7-11 have figured out this for years.  The gas in gas stations is there to pull people to buy snacks and soft drinks at the convenience store :D

• Like 1

The discusson well on this one seems to have run dry rather early.

Latest box office suggest it will be lucky to break even as US audiences have dropped like a stone, whereas in Europe demand was never there in the first place and the figures are more consistent.

Gonna be a lot of merch at 3 cents in Target come the end of summer.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:59 PM, exciter1 said:

I really noticed this during the first 1/2 hour.  To make it worse, our theater didn't turn down the house lights until about 1/2 hr into it.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/solo-star-a-wars-story-theatre-projection-problems-bradford-young-1201969989/

"In a recent interview with IndieWire for “Where Is Kyra?,” Young talked about how his increasingly dark images are partially an artistic response to the dark times facing the world today. He also discussed how digital cinematography has allowed him to take risks because of the ability to see in the on-set monitor exactly what he was getting in the lower end (or the “toe”) of the exposure."

Ugh.  Even cinematographers are overtly political nowadays.  The movie looks like it was shot through a poop filter.  Hard to make general audiences excited about something so crappy looking.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2018 at 10:26 AM, oneknightr said:

Saw it over the weekend and my wife and kids, including myself really enjoyed it. Going in with low expectations probably helped.

As the lights went down I literally said, "Ok, does everyone have their low expectations on?"  Over all we enjoyed it too.  Lando's droid was the most annoying and unnecessary part of the movie.  Could have easily replaced it with tools and made it part of the ship right off the bat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found this website interesting.  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=basic&id=starwarsdisney.htm  It compares TFA, RO, TLJ, and Solo box office receipts.  If you click on "daily" you'll see just how much Solo has dropped from weekend to weekend.  It's a lot. 

From what I've read, the estimated cost to make with reshoots is around $250 mil US and another $150 mil US for promotional support.  At an est. $400 mil US, this is looking more and more like Disney will be lucky to break even.  I think worldwide it's brought in around $254 mil US and viewership is dropping fast or was never there.

I wonder if Solo's bad performance will kill any other SW spin-off movies, like the Boba Fett movie they announced the day Solo launched.  Sadly, I don't think they'll get the hint that TLJ was so bad that it has nearly killed all future SW films.  The reason I say that is because it grossed almost as much as TFA.  So from a box office stand point, TLJ doesn't seem as out of place as Solo does.  But Solo is the next SW release after TLJ. 

*sigh* This is like watching a best-friend suffer because they chose an unhealthy lifestyle. 

"In a recent interview with IndieWire for “Where Is Kyra?,” Young talked about how his increasingly dark images are partially an artistic response to the dark times facing the world today. He also discussed how digital cinematography has allowed him to take risks because of the ability to see in the on-set monitor exactly what he was getting in the lower end (or the “toe”) of the exposure."
Ugh.  Even cinematographers are overtly political nowadays.  The movie looks like it was shot through a poop filter.  Hard to make general audiences excited about something so crappy looking.

Fine cinematographer- stick to your artistic vision. But if I can’t see your film, then it just looks like crap.

Dying on the sword. Congrats. At least he can die knowing he was right.

7 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I found this website interesting.  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=basic&id=starwarsdisney.htm  It compares TFA, RO, TLJ, and Solo box office receipts.  If you click on "daily" you'll see just how much Solo has dropped from weekend to weekend.  It's a lot. 

From what I've read, the estimated cost to make with reshoots is around $250 mil US and another $150 mil US for promotional support.  At an est. $400 mil US, this is looking more and more like Disney will be lucky to break even.  I think worldwide it's brought in around $254 mil US and viewership is dropping fast or was never there.

I wonder if Solo's bad performance will kill any other SW spin-off movies, like the Boba Fett movie they announced the day Solo launched.  Sadly, I don't think they'll get the hint that TLJ was so bad that it has nearly killed all future SW films.  The reason I say that is because it grossed almost as much as TFA.  So from a box office stand point, TLJ doesn't seem as out of place as Solo does.  But Solo is the next SW release after TLJ. 

*sigh* This is like watching a best-friend suffer because they chose an unhealthy lifestyle. 

Nice charts. Look a bit like my Brickfolio over the last 4 years.

15 hours ago, exracer327 said:

As the lights went down I literally said, "Ok, does everyone have their low expectations on?"  Over all we enjoyed it too.  Lando's droid was the most annoying and unnecessary part of the movie.  Could have easily replaced it with tools and made it part of the ship right off the bat.

I had similar feelings about Lando's droid when she was first introduced in the movie, but when she was made a part of the ship, it hit me in the feels a bit. (Handing over my man card as I type.) 

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, exracer327 said:

If Han Solo doesn't sell, I can imagine Boba Fett being worse.  No real character, just a few neat gadgets.  Once the Rey movies are done, STAR WARS needs to go away for awhile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

If Han Solo doesn't sell, I can imagine Boba Fett being worse.  No real character, just a few neat gadgets.  Once the Rey movies are done, STAR WARS needs to go away for awhile.

Maybe she´ll spend 20 years in Luke´s cave milking the Loch Ness Monster while Disney decide who to blame.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I wonder if Solo's bad performance will kill any other SW spin-off movies, like the Boba Fett movie they announced the day Solo launched.

I don't think they've officially announced this, or the long-rumoured Obi-Wan movie. Every article on the Fett movie links back to the "exclusive" story from the Hollywood Reporter, which contains no quotes from anyone at Lucasfilm or Disney, and even states in the article itself: "While Lucasfilm and Disney won’t make any official confirmation".

Now that's not to say that I think those stories are false, it's just that neither of those movies have been officially announced yet.

2 hours ago, binary_storm said:

I don't think they've officially announced this, or the long-rumoured Obi-Wan movie. Every article on the Fett movie links back to the "exclusive" story from the Hollywood Reporter, which contains no quotes from anyone at Lucasfilm or Disney, and even states in the article itself: "While Lucasfilm and Disney won’t make any official confirmation".

Now that's not to say that I think those stories are false, it's just that neither of those movies have been officially announced yet.

I guess you're right.  The spin-off movies still don't have any official announcements.  I thought Fett had been.  I guess the only movies that have officially been announced was the new trilogy from Rian Johnson.  And they admittedly depart from the OT story line.  I can honestly say, I have zero interest and don't even care to see a trailer.

8 hours ago, oneknightr said:

I had similar feelings about Lando's droid when she was first introduced in the movie, but when she was made a part of the ship, it hit me in the feels a bit. (Handing over my man card as I type.) 

C-3PO saying to Han in Empire, "Your ship has the most peculiar dialect," actually works with Lando's droid (can't recall its name, don't care either) becoming part of the ship.  That was the only part that made sense to me about Lando's droid though.  But again, they could have just made the droid part of the ship without the whole love-bot thing.  If we think about it, they lobotomized Lando's droid in order to save their own butts because the droid had the star map.

8 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

The only announced films are the Rian trilogy and the trilogy by the Game of Thrones guys.

We also know that the Solo bunch is signed to 3 films.

I guess that contract lawyers are going to be the winners in that trilogy then.

• Like 2

To be honest, the box office reception is always caused by the previous movie of the franchise.

I saw Han Solo and it was good mvie, I like it a lot. I can not say that it is anything special or award winning, but to have finally something different than space opera (western) from Star Wars universe is so refreshing, that I can not describe my joy. Its just slight behind Rogue On, which I value as best star wars movie after 5 and 4.

Therefor I believe, that bad earnings of Han Solo goes to account of terrible Last Jedi. It just reminds me new remakes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The first movie was quite bad as it took influence from old comics movie who noone really know and nailed the coffin for sequel (Out of the Shadow), which did not brake even despite the fact, it was wonderfull movie full of cartoon serie stuff like Krang etc.

On 6/8/2018 at 4:14 PM, exracer327 said:

C-3PO saying to Han in Empire, "Your ship has the most peculiar dialect," actually works with Lando's droid (can't recall its name, don't care either) becoming part of the ship. 

I forgot about that line. I have to admit, that's pretty damn awesome. 

On 6/9/2018 at 4:57 PM, Alpinemaps said:

The only announced films are the Rian trilogy and the trilogy by the Game of Thrones guys.

We also know that the Solo bunch is signed to 3 films.

53 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I think three films is pushing  it.

I agree, but I don't think we're going to see Solo 1, 2 and 3.  I think it's more likely that some of them might end up in other films, a la the Marvel Cinematic Universe formula.  So, Chris Evans showing up in the second Thor film counted against his contracted number of films (although he agree to not count it, since his appearance lasted all of 30 seconds).  I think we'll get Solo in a Boba Fett film, for instance.  Might not be a huge roll, but he'll be there for a little bit and that will count against the three.

16 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I agree, but I don't think we're going to see Solo 1, 2 and 3.  I think it's more likely that some of them might end up in other films, a la the Marvel Cinematic Universe formula.  So, Chris Evans showing up in the second Thor film counted against his contracted number of films (although he agree to not count it, since his appearance lasted all of 30 seconds).  I think we'll get Solo in a Boba Fett film, for instance.  Might not be a huge roll, but he'll be there for a little bit and that will count against the three.

Maybe they´ll be in low power mode.