Solo: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Message added by Jeff Mack

Link to the "spoiler/I have seen it" thread for Solo: A Star Wars movie (remember you need to "join" the club to view the content)
https://community.brickpicker.com/forums/topic/19227-the-i-have-seen-solo-and-want-to-talk-about-it-thread/

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I predict Kathleen Kennedy being removed and their plans being reset when  a replacement or Disney direction is chosen.

I don't see it happening.  Disney is so corrupted that even if they fired Kennedy they would replace her with another, more extreme feminazi. If anything the failure of Solo most likely will push them to go more extreme with the SJW agenda in the next series.  We'll have transgender, mutant purple haired chicks wielding light sabers and force chocking classic male hero archetypes into submission only to self-sacrifice themselves for the greater good of woman-kind.  The self-destructive current that ran throughout The Last Jedi was disturbing.  

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Mathew said:

I don't see it happening.  Disney is so corrupted that even if they fired Kennedy they would replace her with another, more extreme feminazi. If anything the failure of Solo most likely will push them to go more extreme with the SJW agenda in the next series.  We'll have transgender, mutant purple haired chicks wielding light sabers and force chocking classic male hero archetypes into submission only to self-sacrifice themselves for the greater good of woman-kind.  

Hmm. Somebody has been watching too many youtube videos made by triggered white males.  

Edited by pete411
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, pete411 said:

Hmm. Somebody has been watching too many youtube videos made by triggered white males.  

Ha, good point.  Still doesn't mean that I'm wrong.  I like so many others walked out of the theater feeling depressed and slightly angered by The Last Jedi.  It took a bit for it to sink in and realize the agenda at hand. The Youtubers just brought out the pitchforks for good measure.  You have to fight fire with fire.

Edited by Mathew

I think it's smart for Lucasfilm to add diversity to the Star Wars universe. It doesn't have to be overt and in your face. Look at Rogue One. It had a Mexican co-lead, two Chinese and an Arab supporting character and just made them characters with zero agenda other than being characters in a story. I don't think its very smart for Star Wars to be euro-white centric since the movie business is getting more and more global. 

I'm pretty sure Marvel phase 4 will more diverse than ever. If you hate that sort of thing, you might want to cover your eyes, ears and mouth.

I'm glad Disney is still 2 billion-ish in the hole.  They had a good thing going with Force Awakens and drove it into the ground.  One small example...where the hell were the Knights of Ren WE SAW IN THE FIRST MOVIE.

They abandoned the fan base, Yoda even specifically told us older guys to f*** off in so many words.

I hope Disney loses 2 billion more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

I mean the more time that passes the more upset I get.  Jedi Master Yoda, who we all unconditionally loved as children, tells us to let it go and burns his own sacred texts.  F*** off disney and your "story group."

While I was utterly disappointed by TLJ, Yoda did not burn the texts.

Yoda says to Luke "“Wisdom they held, but that library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess.” At the end of the movie you see a drawer open full of the books, and reveals that Rey stole all the books and stashed them on the Falcon. So Yoda was being literal that Rey had what was in the library.

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 2

I've always wondered just how much they could branch out from the OT and still make the big bucks.  If we don't have any OT characters or connection to them how many people of the general public will come out?  How many "regular" people saw Luke die at the end of TLJ and now think that either the story is over or don't care anymore.  This next trilogy movie will be a better test than Solo in my opinion.

I don't get hung up on the "politics" of the movies as much as other people, but I do think it gets brought up due to the poor story telling that we've seen so far.  Had they put together a better story that was actually planned out across the three films, the politics wouldn't have been as much of an issue.  I think Kennedy's biggest failing is not taking the time to craft a good story for the new trilogy.  They also send some mixed messages with how the OT characters are handled in the new trilogy and then trying to use those same characters to sell the spinoff films.

5 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Yoda says to Luke "“Wisdom they held, but that library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess.” At the end of the movie you see a drawer open full of the books, and reveals that Rey stole all the books and stashed them on the Falcon. So Yoda was being literal that Rey had what was in the library.

My read on it was Yoda didn't know she stole them.  That was a message from the "wise" Rian Johnson that we should abandon Star Wars as we know it.

5 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I've always wondered just how much they could branch out from the OT and still make the big bucks.  If we don't have any OT characters or connection to them how many people of the general public will come out?  How many "regular" people saw Luke die at the end of TLJ and now think that either the story is over or don't care anymore.  This next trilogy movie will be a better test than Solo in my opinion.

I don't get hung up on the "politics" of the movies as much as other people, but I do think it gets brought up due to the poor story telling that we've seen so far.  Had they put together a better story that was actually planned out across the three films, the politics wouldn't have been as much of an issue.  I think Kennedy's biggest failing is not taking the time to craft a good story for the new trilogy.  They also send some mixed messages with how the OT characters are handled in the new trilogy and then trying to use those same characters to sell the spinoff films.

Exactly.  Just one scene with the "big 3" either flying in the Falcon or embracing each other would have done a lot of good for their investment.  But they are so quick to move on to their uncool new characters.

Edited by sauromosis

3 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

My read on it was Yoda didn't know she stole them.  That was a message from the "wise" Rian Johnson that we should abandon Star Wars as we know it.

Exactly.  Just one scene with the "big 3" either flying in the Falcon or embracing each other would have done a lot of good for their investment.  But they are so quick to move on to their uncool new characters.

My take was that Yoda knew and that's why he didnt let Luke enter the temple with that flame burst. 

1 minute ago, sauromosis said:

Mission accomplished.  I plan on renting Solo and the final trilogy move at the Redbox, that is the absolute least I can pay and still stay on the legal side of seeing the movies.  I'm not going to a theater anymore to have to choke down another turd burger.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Mission accomplished.  I plan on renting Solo and the final trilogy move at the Redbox, that is the absolute least I can pay and still stay on the legal side of seeing the movies.  I'm not going to a theater anymore to have to choke down another turd burger.

burger-bite.gif

The major problem I see with the new STAR WARS movies is that there are just too many in a short period of time.  George Lucas used to make people wait three years and even if he produced a crappy movie, fans would still love it.  These new movies are better than the "prequels" IMO, yet get trashed.  They are not perfect, but people are spoiled and overdosing on STAR WARS and becoming apathetic about the whole franchise.  A time out is necessary...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

The major problem I see with the new STAR WARS movies is that there are just too many in a short period of time.  George Lucas used to make people wait three years and even if he produced a crappy movie, fans would still love it.  These new movies are better than the "prequels" IMO, yet get trashed.  They are not perfect, but people are spoiled and overdosing on STAR WARS and becoming apathetic about the whole franchise.  A time out is necessary...

I think the casual fan or moviegoer is more careful about what they see at the theater.  I don't hear anyone going out of their way to see "Solo".  They'll just wait for it to hit streaming or blu-ray.  I've seen it 3 times.  Get off my lawn!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brickvoyeur said:

This is a perfect example of the MANY clever things Rian Johnson did with this movie that go completely unnoticed because people were so enraged by everything uncomfortable going on.

The movie was not perfect, but it was daring, thoughtful, artistic as hell, and clever. People hated on JJ for being formulaic, and then they hated on Rian for burning it down and building it up again in a different way.

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

It's a fair question as you rarely capture the magic of the original cast, but Star Trek seems to do it every half decade or so. But you said BIG bucks, and Star Trek tends to be TV for the most part. They save the big screen action for the ORIGINAL characters, recast.

You bring up the poor story telling aspect, which many people echo. We're 2 acts into a 3 act play. It's a bit early to say the story is bad. Just because we don't understand it or see all the facets yet, it's a bit early to judge, in my opinion.