Solo: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Message added by Jeff Mack

Link to the "spoiler/I have seen it" thread for Solo: A Star Wars movie (remember you need to "join" the club to view the content)
https://community.brickpicker.com/forums/topic/19227-the-i-have-seen-solo-and-want-to-talk-about-it-thread/

43 minutes ago, Shewie said:

got you covered.

Michael Bay's Solo might not be so bad. Han and the girl go from planet to planet trying to escape an agent of the Empire chasing them.  The agent's Star Destroyer shoots & blows up any big structure/monument in every planet they visit. Lots of explosions, some space chases with MF,  and some inappropriate scenes involving Greedo.. :D

• Like 1

I *want* this movie to work. I enjoyed that trailer a lot. I’d even say “I’ve got a pretty good feeling about this.”

If anyone can pull it together into something cohesive it’s Ron Howard. From the on set rumors I’ve heard, the original directing duo would do a ton of takes, and leave everyone kind of clueless as to what they were after. As if they were just going to throw it all together in the editing bay. Ron Howard on the other hand, was a 1-2 take director with a vision of what he wanted.

So I have faith. The franchise needs a win with this film.

My only fear is that we are getting all the good stuff in the trailers. I hope not.

3 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I *want* this movie to work. I enjoyed that trailer a lot. I’d even say “I’ve got a pretty good feeling about this.”

If anyone can pull it together into something cohesive it’s Ron Howard. From the on set rumors I’ve heard, the original directing duo would do a ton of takes, and leave everyone kind of clueless as to what they were after. As if they were just going to throw it all together in the editing bay. Ron Howard on the other hand, was a 1-2 take director with a vision of what he wanted.

So I have faith. The franchise needs a win with this film.

My only fear is that we are getting all the good stuff in the trailers. I hope not.

I agree, I was thrilled when they brought RH on. He is extremely solid - I hope he ended up re-shooting everything.

• Like 1

Just now, KShine said:

I agree, I was thrilled when they brought RH on. He is extremely solid - I hope he ended up re-shooting everything.

He's made a couple of my favorite movies so I'm hoping he can pull this together.

I was going to sit this out, and I may still wait to hear how good it is before going, but I'm more excited than I was.

• Like 1

Lots of hate for the cast chosen, but let's not forget most actors/actresses that have been chosen were unknown before their roles in the Star Wars movies (including Harrison Ford.) Let's just give them a chance before we hate on them.

19 minutes ago, MJO24 said:

Lots of hate for the cast chosen, but let's not forget most actors/actresses that have been chosen were unknown before their roles in the Star Wars movies (including Harrison Ford.) Let's just give them a chance before we hate on them.

The guy might have a great career.  He certainly is no slouch in the looks department, but he is not the right choice for a young Harrison Ford IMO.

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

I think the movie looks very good...I still don't like the guy they picked to be Han Solo.  The kid is too pretty and his voice sounds like a 13 year old.  

Stay cool, the female lead and droid both have standard  plummy English accents as per the Star Wars castng bible.

23 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Stay cool, the female lead and droid both have standard  plummy English accents as per the Star Wars castng bible.

Yaaa... remember a kindler simpler time in a galaxy far far away where the blasted limeys were always the bad guys that played for the empire (ok, except for Obi-wan but he didn't have much of an accent), and the good guys were Americans?   Those were the days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Americans pumped Jumanji into 1bln club so nothing will surprise me ever again.

Solo cast choices are terrible but maybe the story will defend itself, they have sucky cast and a good director, wonder if they can bake a cake out of the turd.
Emily Clark is a one charming and funny human being but she simply doesn't fit there, on the other hand Suki Waterhouse would fit there like noone else.
She is very gritty-charming personality and after Bad Batch binge evening I think she is the one of the most overlooked young actress out there atm.

BAD-BATCHHEADER.jpg

51 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I think you'll find they're called "fake" English accents. They're not regional, only the pretentious, students & post graduates speak that way.

26 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Yaaa... remember a kindler simpler time in a galaxy far far away where the blasted limeys were always the bad guys that played for the empire (ok, except for Obi-wan but he didn't have much of an accent), and the good guys were Americans?   Those were the days.

Yeah, bring back the likes of Christopher Eccleston in gone in 60 seconds. He was a "top end" British bad guy. Proper northern accent, too.

• Like 1

Good trailer but it doesn’t mean much. They also cut a good trailer for TLJ Blu-ray and we know it wasn’t reflective of that movie.  I expect a competent movie from Ron Howard but that’s about it.  We already know the Solo story so this will be more about cool chase scenes. 

3 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Good trailer but it doesn’t mean much. They also cut a good trailer for TLJ Blu-ray and we know it wasn’t reflective of that movie.  I expect a competent movie from Ron Howard but that’s about it.  We already know the Solo story so this will be more about cool chase scenes. 

and giant tentacles. They must be important as they showed up in all trailers :D :D :D

27 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

This kid would have been better...Heck, he already played a young Harrsion Ford character...

I remember when that was posted well before they announced any cast choices, and I thought it was a no-brainer, and foregone conclusion that this guy was the next Han Solo... 

Corporate entities tend to always subdue what should be top notch creative choices.  I don't expect the Han Solo movie to be great, IMO.  I'm going in with extremely low expectations.  I think Chewbacca and Woody Harrelson will be the bright spots this film.  The rest just looks a bit bland.

I really do not think that young Han Solo should copy cat expressions and talk of the old one. Its ******* terrible, like some parody. I will be glad, if new actor can add some additional layer to Han Solo character.

And I really liike new trailer, I hope it will end in same way as Rogue One.

6 minutes ago, Hennessy said:

I really do not think that young Han Solo should copy cat expressions and talk of the old one. Its ******* terrible, like some parody. I will be glad, if new actor can add some additional layer to Han Solo character.

And I really liike new trailer, I hope it will end in same way as Rogue One.

With every single cast member dying?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4