75144 - UCS: Snowspeeder

oneknightr

1 minute ago, jaisonline said:

That's because it looks pretty identical from a certain matter of view (distance in this case).  Like the UCS X-Wing remake before it, I don't see legit reasons for 10129 owners to buy this. Just add the minifig and sticker plaque down the road when prices fall considerably.

Right...pretty much identical.  My issue with this set and the Red 5 and the Death Star and any other reissue is that comes along that is a duplicate of the classic original is that there is a "BS buzz" around the set, like something all new was created.  It's like the "fake news" of the LEGO world.  I guess you can consider me an elite, spoiled and anal collector that sets his standards too high.

25 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Maybe I am alone here on this...maybe not, but after looking at my 10129 on my shelf for the last decade, I can safely say that this set does not excite me.  Sorry to be a Party Pooper.

I agreet, I am not excited but that is because I have the original.

Some parts look more accurate on the new one.  Some look better on the old one.  I do like the rear of the new much more.

1 minute ago, lego rules said:

I agreet, I am not excited but that is because I have the original.

Some parts look more accurate on the new one.  Some look better on the old one.  I do like the rear of the new much more.

I actually like the old rear better (although someone might need them both for their anal collection ?) 

22 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Sorting by pieces isn't that bad really.  I've done it over the past year or two with the UCS Imperial Shuttle, The Tumbler, and all the Indiana Jones sets.  I still have a bunch of others sort through, like UCS AT-ST, UCS R2-D2, Republic Dropship and AT-OT, and several others.  You get better at it the more times you have to do it.

Star Wars UCS aren't that bad for sorting.  Sorting pieces for Tower Bridge and Big Ben is a different matter.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Right...pretty much identical.  My issue with this set and the Red 5 and the Death Star and any other reissue is that comes along that is a duplicate of the classic original is that there is a "BS buzz" around the set, like something all new was created.  

Right. This type of UCS buzz for the set should be saved for something original like an AT-AT, AT-ACT, Cloud City (10143-style), A-Wing, Mon Cruiser, Kylo Renn Shuttle, even a Vader TIE that seriously needs a refresh.

• Like 1

I understand people who have the original are not excited about this set. I am happy because I was late to the game.
I read the note from the Lego Star Wars director in the snowspeeder instructions, sounds like they won't hesitate to continue reissuing old sets. Anyone else get that impression after reading it?

1 hour ago, Vader888 said:

I understand people who have the original are not excited about this set. I am happy because I was late to the game.
I read the note from the Lego Star Wars director in the snowspeeder instructions, sounds like they won't hesitate to continue reissuing old sets. Anyone else get that impression after reading it?

I understand the positive vibes from those who do not have the older versions.  The basic STAR WARS theme is based on  reissuing old sets honestly.  It always has been.  Even when there was no new movie, they were recreating sets on an annual basis.  My issue with the new Snowspeeder and Red 5 and other future remakes is that they took an iconic set that really didn't need an update and repackaged it with their cheesy new UCS logo.  It is supposed to be the "Ultimate Collector Series."  These sets are hardly collectible if a new UCS version of a major set will be released every few years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:
I understand the positive vibes from those who do not have the older versions.  The basic STAR WARS theme is based on  reissuing old sets honestly.  It always has been.  Even when there was no new movie, they were recreating sets on an annual basis.  My issue with the new Snowspeeder and Red 5 and other future remakes is that they took an iconic set that really didn't need an update and repackaged it with their cheesy new UCS logo.  It is supposed to be the "Ultimate Collector Series."  These sets are hardly collectible if a new UCS version of a major set will be released every few years.  

With that said, I'll take two, not twenty.

Even though they are heavily marketing the "ultimate collectors series" thing, I feel like TLG isn't targetting collectors anymore with these sets. By collector, I mean a person who expects a model which is the absolute best possible representation of a Snowspeeder in Lego, regardless of the cost (within reason). I feel like this model is not the absolute best possible representation of a Snowspeeder. That's not to say it isn't a nice model, but there are some obvious points that could be improved. Collectibility also implies exclusiveness / scarcity, which will not be the case for this set at all. Maybe my definition is wrong and they are going for a different type of collector or even completionists.

Now I still think this is one of the best looking Star Wars sets out there. I think it looks better than the old one, though maybe it just looks more "modern". In any case, I don't have a 10129 so for me it's great.

But I would have been happier if they did something new. There's only about 26 UCS sets so far, so it's kinda silly to have two duplicates already. If they keep them coming at this rate, we'll have a new Falcon, Y-Wing and Star Destroyer in the next five years. Meanwhile they could release AT-AT, A-Wing, Nebulon, Venator, Republic Gunship, Sail Barge, ...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

Even though they are heavily marketing the "ultimate collectors series" thing, I feel like TLG isn't targetting collectors anymore with these sets. By collector, I mean a person who expects a model which is the absolute best possible representation of a Snowspeeder in Lego, regardless of the cost (within reason). I feel like this model is not the absolute best possible representation of a Snowspeeder. That's not to say it isn't a nice model, but there are some obvious points that could be improved. Collectibility also implies exclusiveness / scarcity, which will not be the case for this set at all. Maybe my definition is wrong and they are going for a different type of collector or even completionists.

Now I still think this is one of the best looking Star Wars sets out there. I think it looks better than the old one, though maybe it just looks more "modern". In any case, I don't have a 10129 so for me it's great.

But I would have been happier if they did something new. There's only about 26 UCS sets so far, so it's kinda silly to have two duplicates already. If they keep them coming at this rate, we'll have a new Falcon, Y-Wing and Star Destroyer in the next five years. Meanwhile they could release AT-AT, A-Wing, Nebulon, Venator, Republic Gunship, Sail Barge, ...

Well put and I agree with your sentiment.  The UCS theme used to be on another level of difficulty and design in comparison to the standard STAR WARS sets.  While the standard sets have improved dramatically from the early 2000s, the UCS sets have not made the same progress in my opinion.  For every Slave I, there is an Assault on Hoth.  I can make a case that the UCS sets from over a decade ago were much more complex and interesting builds than many of today's releases.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, TigerEyez said:

So what so what would you say current value of 10129 in a slightly worn box is? There's a guy with financial problems asking for an offer.  Already have the new one, would probably want to make money off this.

I wouldn't say you've given enough info to give a proper estimate.

But on a related note, I found a new site where you can look to see what people have been paying for things ;)

IMG_8832.JPG

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

I wouldn't say you've given enough info to give a proper estimate.

But on a related note, I found a new site where you can look to see what people have been paying for things ;)

IMG_8832.JPG

Thanks.  I generally ignore eBay.  But the estimate on the BP price hasn't caught up, it's still showing at $1200. BL shows a sale in January, pre-announcement for $1,400 and one in May for $1,200 plus a $200, $300 and $500, but you can't tell if they were complete, box condition, etc.  The box has some bends and wear marks, but no holes. I don't want to offer the guy $600 if the resting price will be $400 once the metrics catch up. However if somebody offered me $300 for something I thought was worth a grand I'd block their number. 

18 minutes ago, TigerEyez said:

Thanks.  I generally ignore eBay.  But the estimate on the BP price hasn't caught up, it's still showing at $1200. BL shows a sale in January, pre-announcement for $1,400 and one in May for $1,200 plus a $200, $300 and $500, but you can't tell if they were complete, box condition, etc.  The box has some bends and wear marks, but no holes. I don't want to offer the guy $600 if the resting price will be $400 once the metrics catch up. However if somebody offered me $300 for something I thought was worth a grand I'd block their number. 

The guy missed the boat and even if the BP price guide was up-to-the-minute it wouldn't account for box condition.  The set isn't worth anywhere near a grand anymore.  All you can do is estimate what you might get for it on something like ebay and offer accordingly. 

59 minutes ago, TigerEyez said:

So what so what would you say current value of 10129 in a slightly worn box is? There's a guy with financial problems asking for an offer.  Already have the new one, would probably want to make money off this.

Sealed with beat up box just sold on eBay from Hong Kong for $436 plus $80 shipping.