75144 - UCS: Snowspeeder

oneknightr

9 hours ago, eliminator said:

i'm sure the current UCS Snowspeeder is selling in decent numbers, the crux of the matter is that Lego can make more $$$ selling other themes, especially those without licensing kickbacks.

I'll take this "shorter than usual production run" as a positive chance of this set turning a decent long-term profit. But like other have indicated, there's lots of other sets I'd invest in for better ROI.

Depends how long it takes to sell out at discount. Shades of Batcave.

• Sad 1

Guest TabbyBoy

An easily obtained medium CITY set with an RRP of £84.99 which is often discounted by 50% is a far better deal and a much shorter hold. Also less arsehoIes insisting on a mint box without a flea's footprint or a grain of flour on it and equidistant seals placed at exactly 90° to the edge. UCS is a dreadful investment these days.

6 hours ago, Val-E said:

Less than 2 x rrp after a 5 year hold and that´s being generous with Amazo FBA prices.

So almost 400% for those that bought at 50% off.   So your argument is that isn't a good ROI?

Snowspeeder is a much nicer display piece IMO.  I would be very happy with 1.5x MSRP.

6 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

An easily obtained medium CITY set with an RRP of £84.99 which is often discounted by 50% is a far better deal and a much shorter hold. Also less arsehoIes insisting on a mint box without a flea's footprint or a grain of flour on it and equidistant seals placed at exactly 90° to the edge. UCS is a dreadful investment these days.

I only buy city sets when they are discounted 90%.  They have terrible returns and are usually repeated every year.  Things must be very different here.

6 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

14 minutes ago, lego rules said:

I only buy city sets when they are discounted 90%.  They have terrible returns and are usually repeated every year.  Things must be very different here.

This is like a totally bizarro conversation! :girlwacko:

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, lego rules said:

Tru on eBay sold a bunch for ~95% off a few years ago.

Smyths in the UK also sold some Star Wars constraction figures for £1 each last year (95% off). Of course, they were all gone within the hour online.

10 minutes ago, lego rules said:

Tru on eBay sold a bunch for ~95% off a few years ago.

Regardless, a few years ago Tabby was never buying City again and it's trash.  Everyone else said you are ok with select sets.  Selling City Prison Island for $300+ sure hurts the bottom line.

Back on topic, this UCS Snowspeeder is a glorious vehicle.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, anon33 said:

Unless you got them for 99 bucks emoji6.png

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

So we go back to the discount being the profit maker and not the set.

Many many more sets have given the same return much quicker at 50% off and you could have made 4 times more in the same 5 year period with a lot less hassle about being scammed etc etc.

I thought we all agreed that investing in large exclusives was game over post 2014 and the money now is in different areas.

54 minutes ago, lego rules said:

So almost 400% for those that bought at 50% off.   So your argument is that isn't a good ROI?

Snowspeeder is a much nicer display piece IMO.  I would be very happy with 1.5x MSRP.

See above. 50% off on other 2014 retirements rinsed and repeated over the last 5 years is a much better ROI. Sure, it´s also more work.

Guest TabbyBoy

In any business, the ROI is based on the actual amount of money invested, ie. the buy-in price in our case. From I've bought over the last year, I'd be VERY happy with recovering 1x RRP after fees. I'm even selling CITY Fire Stations and some CITY vehicles now at 0.5x RRP for cash and I'm a happy bunny. Selling a current UCS Star Wars set and recovering 1x RRP within a year or two is a tall order IMHO, especially in the UK - not to mention being prime targets for scammers, dodgy dropshippers and anal box lickers.

Now I remember why I stopped posting as much and avoiding threads.....

SW is crap, large exclusives are crap....

I wish there was a little more positivity on these forums instead of the constant negativity.

@Val-E what is your point with some sets having better return?  Of course many did and I'm sure many didn't have a better return.  I was pointing out that the return for a bad seller set is excellent.  In the dreaded AoH I am getting excellent returns as well.

I don't want de-rail any more.  Its easier to avoid all the negative comments than try and contribute.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, lego rules said:

I wish there was a little more positivity on these forums instead of the constant negativity.

@Val-E what is your point with some sets having better return?  Of course many did and I'm sure many didn't have a better return.  I was pointing out that the return for a bad seller set is excellent.  In the dreaded AoH I am getting excellent returns as well.

I don't want de-rail any more.  Its easier to avoid all the negative comments than try and contribute.

The negativity is mostly LEGO's doing.

22 minutes ago, lego rules said:

The negativity is mostly generated from a handful of members who average about 95% negative to 5% positive posts, and they post quite a bit.  Don't sweat it!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, uaford said:

Any sense on how widely available was this at $100 at TRU?  Was their stock deep, or just a deal that sold out in an hour or so?  I love this set, but if there are thousands sitting around that people bought for $100 I love it less.  Ha.  Thanks!

I think most only got a few and many were bought up by gifters when they went to 50% off.  There were also some who got them free from TRU and for $90 from Target on those price mistakes, but that is probably just a few folks too.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
49 minutes ago, marcandre said:

LEGO Shop at Home shipped my snowspeeder order double boxed. Pretty nice, I like this trend. Have gotten technic 911 and nasa rockets doubled,  now this. I thought sets this size always had 2 or 3 per carton. 

That's the least I'd expect when paying likely RRP. Let's hope it'll soon be commonplace. I did get a 21309 S5 in a similar single box, so it can vary.

1 hour ago, marcandre said:

LEGO Shop at Home shipped my snowspeeder order double boxed. Pretty nice, I like this trend. Have gotten technic 911 and nasa rockets doubled,  now this. I thought sets this size always had 2 or 3 per carton. 

C98C8E02-0A9A-4735-82C1-9F521BB2DFF6.jpeg

yeah they are 2 per case except for the FF they had made for Amazon so would assume that means they are down to the FF ones now if they are doing that.  Or had excess of those that never got purchased / shipped to amazon

Just looked at the certs and the last batch cert was 9/10/18 and was the single case item number, and the April batch was the normal 2 per case item number.  That being dated 10/19/18 would of come from the last batch then.  Didn't realize they also changed the UPC's on the new single case ones as well. 

Makes sense now as to why the FF and Standard packaging Amazon listings exist though.  The one you got actually is the UPC for the FF listing on Amazon versus the 2 count cases being the UPC to the Standard packaging Amazon listings.   

Edited by ravenb99

Guest TabbyBoy

FWIW... Asda/George used boxes of various capacity with a similar purple stripe stating TOYS5 or TOYS7 from what I've had. I recall getting the 9515 Malevolence in LEGO boxes of 3 and 4. It seems like "sets per case" varies according to market and retailer. Another one was the 10220 VW T1 also in boxes of 3 and 4. They're at the back of the warehouse and I'll dig them out and post the differences one day.