10197 - Fire Brigade

Spartikis

You said you brought 8 FB from TRU.ca, and some from AMAZON around $135USD... you must have a lot of FB, then.... you flipped one for $240..and profited $100, right? That's really good.. How many more FB do you have?

The number is 10 give or take a few. :) Profit was about $100 for the recent ones. The previous ones, I made about $40-50 each.

:) I think he found a loophole to avoid paying duties and taxes for staying less than 24 hours. "These [toys] are for my kids" speech. Gotta try it myself one of these days.

You know, I actually open up the trunk when they ask to. I got nothing to hide. I don't smuggle. I paid duty a few times. I bring my receipts with me. Most of them have no time to care about me. They asked me what else I was up to. I told them I was filling up my tank of gas where I saved about $15-$20 per trip on that.

Try it a few times. Customs don't give a crap about it.

Alright this is just funny now.....the toys are not for your kids so u do have something to hide...u hiding the fact that  you buying goods in U.S. to sale

And what's wrong with that. I bring them home, then decide it's not right for my kids to have too many toys.

What about you guys down south getting all those deals on Lego? I haven't cried home about it yet. I just do something about it. And that is, to bring them up north where others can save a few bucks while I profit a few bucks.

Do what you wish..i was just pointing out a contradiction. Saying I am not hiding anything and then hiding behind a lie is just a contradiction.

Sort of in this direction, it is really funny the disdain show towards americans becuase of "cheating" on taxes sometimes. But I have about 5 international people a week asking me to cheat on the import/export forms.

In reality, I don't care about either of them. But I think its kind of silly for any of us to point out someone else doing something wrong with their taxes (You weren't doing this - you were pointing out a contradiction - which was funny :) ) when everyone is as well.

I doubt anyone here is reporting all of their personal purchases on Amazon (for those of us with no tax).

• Like 1

I live in Mexico  120 miles from the US border and I buy all my legos in the US, and bring them home, BUT Mexican Law permits to import duty free 5 toys per person. So no harm there..... and as I am bringing them out the US, I claim a tax return, so Voila, tax free toys !!

I live in San Diego, and I got to thinking about Lego south of the border.  How is it?  Should I just stay up here, or is there anything worthwhile or different down there?

Sort of in this direction, it is really funny the disdain show towards americans becuase of "cheating" on taxes sometimes. But I have about 5 international people a week asking me to cheat on the import/export forms.

In reality, I don't care about either of them. But I think its kind of silly for any of us to point out someone else doing something wrong with their taxes (You weren't doing this - you were pointing out a contradiction - which was funny :) ) when everyone is as well.

I doubt anyone here is reporting all of their personal purchases on Amazon (for those of us with no tax).

Silly for you to point out someone else doing something wrong with their taxes? If you did not live in the United States, I bet you anything you wouldn't be saying anything like this. Funny how some of you get all the good deals while others don't. Then when one person outside of your country is pulling off good deals and flips, all hell breaks loose as if someone needs to be crucified. :zorro:

Say what you want, but that's life. I see a lot of bragging about how one gets Bwing or this and that for under $125USD. I guarantee you there are a lot of unhappy people out there wishing they didn't pay $209CAD plus 12% sales tax for it. What comes around goes around. I'd like to go back to the BWing thread and make some of them eat it. I sold one for $209CAD today and I paid $159USD for it. Beats the bagholders holding over 10 of those hoping for it to skyrocket.

Silly for you to point out someone else doing something wrong with their taxes? If you did not live in the United States, I bet you anything you wouldn't be saying anything like this. Funny how some of you get all the good deals while others don't. Then when one person outside of your country is pulling off good deals and flips, all hell breaks loose as if someone needs to be crucified. :zorro:

Say what you want, but that's life. I see a lot of bragging about how one gets Bwing or this and that for under $125USD. I guarantee you there are a lot of unhappy people out there wishing they didn't pay $209CAD plus 12% sales tax for it. What comes around goes around. I'd like to go back to the BWing thread and make some of them eat it. I sold one for $209CAD today and I paid $159USD for it. Beats the bagholders holding over 10 of those hoping for it to skyrocket.

I have read your post like 6 times and still don't understand your point.

I am not crucifying you at all. I just was saying everyone in every country avoids taxes - but Americans take the most flack for it. I said I didn't care who was doing it.

• Like 1

Well sales in Mexico are really slow, but in holiday season you can sell pretty much all you have at incredible prices, specially if soy are selling sets not available here, or hot retired items. for example this season I sold Black Pearls at 300 USD and BTF DeLoreans at 85 usd......  On the other hand, you can find old retired sets new and sealed in the toy stores for about 30% over their US MSRP.... that's how I got some 3 HP Hogwarts castles and 6 HP Burrows and my crown Jewel...... A Brand New Sealed Corner Caf

• Like 1

I have read your post like 6 times and still don't understand your point.

I am not crucifying you at all. I just was saying everyone in every country avoids taxes - but Americans take the most flack for it. I said I didn't care who was doing it.

True. I saw all the Americans crying like babies here. They can't stand on the other side of the fence because they don't know what it's like to pay over $200 for a non-discontinued set like the Pet Shop. Death Star going for under $300 is unheard of in Canada. The retail price for that is $500 and never discounted. So whether it's me or anyone else, there will be always someone bringing stuff across the border.

Today, I saw a lady in front of the line pay $175 taxes included for a Jabba Sail barge.....seriously, it will never get to that amount in the secondary market. I have my Jabba barge listed at $120CAD, got mine from Amazon for under $85. To make a long story short, it's not fair for us North of the border to be paying 80% more than what the lego sets are at in the US. I'm doing others a favor unloading them for quick profits while the buyer gets a deal and closer to fair value. Whatever is said here won't change how I deal with the local market.

Yes... but we already pay amazing taxes..... I pay 22% tax when I buy CD/DVDs or USB or a new PC... or a phone.... you pay what? a few percents? We pay 40-55% of our paychecks to country every month and in exchange i get an average medical services (luckily my aunt is the director in hospital so I would get super fast anything) and free school which is not really free cos you still pay for it.... oh not to even go into gas for 2$/liter cos we pay duties to country again ...

Thats why we cheat cos we already pay enormous amounts of money.... the other part is LEGO already screwing us big time with offering so cheap US prices.... Believe me if prices of LEGO inside EU would be the same as in US noone would ever ask you about cheating anything.... and I would never buy anything (except for maybe rare poylbags) from a US person. Since I would not feel cheated in my own country with insane mark ups.

On the other side US people try to avoid 5% or 8% tax....  

But you are right about other thing... supraboy saying he has nothing to hide then right out lies to the customs on border (or whatever they are) .... that is funny indeed. 

True. I saw all the Americans crying like babies here.

To make a long story short, it's not fair for us North of the border to be paying 80% more than what the lego sets are at in the US.

Right...

Yes... but we already pay amazing taxes..... I pay 22% tax when I buy CD/DVDs or USB or a new PC... or a phone.... you pay what? a few percents? We pay 40-55% of our paychecks to country every month and in exchange i get an average medical services (luckily my aunt is the director in hospital so I would get super fast anything) and free school which is not really free cos you still pay for it.... oh not to even go into gas for 2$/liter cos we pay duties to country again ...

Thats why we cheat cos we already pay enormous amounts of money.... the other part is LEGO already screwing us big time with offering so cheap US prices.... Believe me if prices of LEGO inside EU would be the same as in US noone would ever ask you about cheating anything.... and I would never buy anything (except for maybe rare poylbags) from a US person. Since I would not feel cheated in my own country

So what has to be the % for tax avoidance to become "right"? 10% or 22% makes no difference, you can't justify this by saying you already pay too much.

Also, you saying that if prices were the same over in Europe people would not cheat is completely unrealistic. It's human nature to try and keep as much money as possible. Some people would still not cheat, but you can be 100% certain a lot would.

Finally, even though I agree that EU prices are crazy relative to the US, LEGO sales continue to grow steadily in Europe. Someone is definitely buying even at high prices, and until the company sees a change in this they won't lower their prices.

So what has to be the % for tax avoidance to become "right"? 10% or 22% makes no difference, you can't justify this by saying you already pay too much.

There is no ultimate answer on this.... it makes a big difference 10 or 22% believe me... if you dont think it does I advise you give me 22% of your money earned instead of 10%... then you might see the difference.

Also, you saying that if prices were the same over in Europe people would not cheat is completely unrealistic. It's human nature to try and keep as much money as possible. Some people would still not cheat, but you can be 100% certain a lot would.

Why would I want to pay higher shipping from US that takes longer if prices would be the same and I would pay more in shipping? 

Its only logical we would not cheat....

If stagecoach would be 23

The title of the thread is "Fire Brigade: Will it be discontinued soon?", but last 100 posts are about taxes, mexican borders, supraboy kids with or without lego, poor european customers....100 "update email" on my phone, no news about the FB....create another thread, please :-))

• Like 5

There is no ultimate answer on this.... it makes a big difference 10 or 22% believe me... if you dont think it does I advise you give me 22% of your money earned instead of 10%... then you might see the difference.

Why would I want to pay higher shipping from US that takes longer if prices would be the same and I would pay more in shipping?

Its only logical we would not cheat....

If stagecoach would be 23

The title of the thread is "Fire Brigade: Will it be discontinued soon?", but last 100 posts are about taxes, mexican borders, supraboy kids with or without lego, poor european customers....100 "update email" on my phone, no news about the FB....create another thread, please :-))

You know, I could prob talk about the 10127 B-Wing talk in this thread (like a certain someone else did In the B-Gone thread about the Fire Brigade) but I'll take the high road. ...and we are adults here visiting Ed and Jeff's Lego Wonderland.

You are right, let's stay on target.

post-3743-0-28437400-1387712517.jpg

I agree.

But to jump in....

I don't see why what Supraboy is doing is considered bad. Its simple tax avoidance. If what he was doing was illegal, he would be a bit thick to trumpet it all over this open forum. He's just lucky to live where he lives. At worst you could call him a bit too boastful :)

However I have a problem with people who say other peoples own strategies are crap. That word has been used (and I apologise Supraboy if it was not you). Everyone has their own strategy for Lego investment, some make money quicker than others. But if people are happy to sit back and watch their sets rise slowly (or quickly if you have right set) over 2, 3, 5 or even 10 years that is up to them. WHO IS ANYONE TO SAY THAT IS WRONG?!  Before this turns into a complete rant, I shall stop. :)

Basically - play nice children or I shall tell Ed/Jeff to take all your Lego away.

Back on topic....

I have 4 FBs and I am happy to wait a few years for them to appreciate. If they don't, they don't. I make my Lego money by breaking down bulk lots into sets to sell on. It's a hobby :)

• Like 1

I think 10197 is a great set to build and own a few. As an investment, this set is one of the first ones (along with Tower Bridge and 10188) that Lego decided to not retire after the "then standard" 2-3 years of retail life. While this set will appreciate, I have no idea how to predict how using historic info. If the set does retire this month, we are already looking at over 4 years of availability. http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10197-1 Unlike Tower Bridge this set was more affordable and is from a very popular theme. It was also heavily discounted before May 2013 (e.g. Walmart and Target online had these for around $115 during Dec 2012). Amazon also discounted it but not has steep http://camelcamelcamel.com/LEGO-Creator-Fire-Brigade-10197/product/B002O064J0?context=browse

Given the longevity of discounts and availability, I refuse to invest heavily in it because we have no idea on predicted performance or retirement date.

I might be totally wrong with my logic. However, supply vs. demand is king in the Lego secondary market (just ask The Zombies, Batman 1 7888 and 49999 owners). It will take extremely powerful demand over many years to eat up all the supply. Additionally, can you imagine putting money into a mutual fund / stock and it remaining at the same price for years before appreciating, I own 2 Tower Bridges currently (no plains to own more for now) and I would feel even worse if I owned this set since it should have been retired 2 years ago with the other building modulars were introduced.

Tis is the season to invest in sets we know should be retiring unless there is a super duper discount.

The price of FB has already started to go up steadily if you keep up to date on online prices. Some of the increase is definitely due to Christmas effect and there will likely be a dip post Christmas. However, I doubt the price will go below standard lego retail price simply because retired lego sets are being opened and used all the time. The number of retired MISB sets will decline with time. With Asia consumers only recently joining in the AFOL ranks, I think FB will be good investment over time.

The price of FB has already started to go up steadily if you keep up to date on online prices. Some of the increase is definitely due to Christmas effect and there will likely be a dip post Christmas. However, I doubt the price will go below standard lego retail price simply because retired lego sets are being opened and used all the time. The number of retired MISB sets will decline with time. With Asia consumers only recently joining in the AFOL ranks, I think FB will be good investment over time.

Some of it will be the Christmas effect but as very few will be around in the next few months i suspect the price will be steady. If the set is really EOL, then it will be the litmus test as to how the other modulars will perform.

I know a lot of people also have the GE, which may be around for another year, but how many have the Pet Shop and the newer Modulars?