Star Wars 2016

fossilrock

Ok, it seems way too soon for another Spider Droid and A-wing as those just went out of production less than a year ago.  I would gladly welcome a UCS Snowspeeder though since I missed everything prior to the Imperial Shuttle for my personal collection.

I agree these are all a bit dissapointing.  Plus, do we really need a new Spider Droid?  That 2013 version is mostly junk, so unless it's vastly improved and comes with 5 minifigures... ahh who cares.  That's still not going to make this great.  I'd rather see them spend time on new sets from ep7..

And things have gone very quiet regarding UCS 75098 - one wonders if this will now be a 2016 launch and if it is not necessarily Hoth but another model e.g. Death Star. Would they have had some issues with the set and decided to extend 10188´s life to bridge the gap????

It´s  pretty clear that Lego and Disney are going to squeeeze the SW theme dry over the next few years - anyone who thinks otherwise had better be prepared. How much that will affect the value of older UCS sets remains to be seen.

Agreed, but there are only so many SW vehicles to make.  It is inevitable they need to be remade.  I don't see this affecting re-sellers who hold for about 2 - 10 years.

If people hold out hope that a particular UCS model will be remade (and maybe it'll be even nicer) then they won't be as willing to shell out as much cash for the current model. For now we've been getting remakes of specific popular sets (Xwing) or distinct variations of (Tie Fighter) or improvements of (Sandcrawler) but no outright remakes of anything and everything.

It will be interesting to see what LEGO comes up with for the next Star Wars movies but it wouldn't surprise me to see another massive $400-$500 SW set.

• Like 1

If people hold out hope that a particular UCS model will be remade (and maybe it'll be even nicer) then they won't be as willing to shell out as much cash for the current model. For now we've been getting remakes of specific popular sets (Xwing) or distinct variations of (Tie Fighter) or improvements of (Sandcrawler) but no outright remakes of anything and everything.

It will be interesting to see what LEGO comes up with for the next Star Wars movies but it wouldn't surprise me to see another massive $400-$500 SW set.

You make a valid point, but I still believe when a collector wants to have a set, they will buy it.  Can it lower the overall value of sets because less people will be buying sets, I would say yes.  Having said that, I don't see this being doom and gloom.  The Winter Toy Shop is a little more worrisome, but again, if you sold after a few years, you were fine.

I have never taken the approach that I needed to squeeze every last penny of profit so while this does affect some people, in general it does not.  If they released UCS like they do City sets, then I would not be investing in UCS any longer.

• Like 1

You make a valid point, but I still believe when a collector wants to have a set, they will buy it.  Can it lower the overall value of sets because less people will be buying sets, I would say yes.  Having said that, I don't see this being doom and gloom.  The Winter Toy Shop is a little more worrisome, but again, if you sold after a few years, you were fine.

I have never taken the approach that I needed to squeeze every last penny of profit so while this does affect some people, in general it does not.  If they released UCS like they do City sets, then I would not be investing in UCS any longer.

It's two fold - some refuse to sell until they're squeezing that last penny out of it and some just have no plans to sell. Apologies to those who hoard rather than sell (sorry Ed and Jeff) but that's the risk you take in any investment. Buy low, sell high - I'm no financial expert (someone else does that for me) but in general isn't that how investment portfolios are managed? It's not "buy low, never sell" or "buy low, wait until growth has stagnated and then wait some more just to see if I can get an extra 10% by selling in 6 months."
(PS I know it's not so simple, but the general principle seems to be pretty accurate to me.)

What I buy to collect I don't worry about value. What I've bought for investment I buy to sell for a decent profit. I only have 2 SSD left because I sold the others locally for 2x my buy in (no shipping hassle or fees, why the heck not). It means the two I have left (mine and one more to sell) are "paid for" along with other items in my inventory. I'm good with that. I'll also be good with a UCS Snowspeeder remake because I want one but can't justify the cost. That's my selfish side talking. :)

• Like 4

It's two fold - some refuse to sell until they're squeezing that last penny out of it and some just have no plans to sell. Apologies to those who hoard rather than sell (sorry Ed and Jeff) but that's the risk you take in any investment. Buy low, sell high - I'm no financial expert (someone else does that for me) but in general isn't that how investment portfolios are managed? It's not "buy low, never sell" or "buy low, wait until growth has stagnated and then wait some more just to see if I can get an extra 10% by selling in 6 months."
(PS I know it's not so simple, but the general principle seems to be pretty accurate to me.)

What I buy to collect I don't worry about value. What I've bought for investment I buy to sell for a decent profit. I only have 2 SSD left because I sold the others locally for 2x my buy in (no shipping hassle or fees, why the heck not). It means the two I have left (mine and one more to sell) are "paid for" along with other items in my inventory. I'm good with that. I'll also be good with a UCS Snowspeeder remake because I want one but can't justify the cost. That's my selfish side talking. :)

Seems like our strategy is similar.  I am not worried about a UCS Snowspeeder even though I have a used one which is part of my displayed collection.  I am still holding out hope it will be a UCS AT-AT instead though.

Edited by lego rules

X-wing didn't suffer when the 10240 came out.  Why would the whole UCS theme become worthless?

Yes it did.  It lost hundreds of dollars in value over the course of the last few years or so.  It used to sell for $1,200 or more.  It has been sitting at $900.00 for months.  The situation with remakes or reissues is serious one with the STAR WARS theme.  The news of a new movie was great news for the theme, but the news of these "retro" STAR WARS movies will make the theme highly volatile, affecting some severely...either in a positive or negative way.  With each possible remake though, people will be less apt to spend big money on the retired sets.  They will say..."Hey, why bother buying an old set?  I can wait for the remake!"  

When this happens, all Hell will break loose.  It won't matter if you are in it for the long term or short term or whether you are an investor or flipper, because the perceived value of this theme will be reduced.  Long term, these sets will never reach the levels of current sets and short term, who will pay premium prices for a short term fix when they know there is no back end benefit?  Set will appreciate slower after retirement and to lower levels.

What is ironic about this whole thing is that the often maligned "Prequel Trilogy" STAR WARS movies might become the most valuable LEGO sets because these sets might never be remade to any large degree.  Sure, there will be some sets never remade and they will benefit, but on the whole, the appreciation of the sets in the UCS will be stunted or reduced.  

• Like 5

Yes the price has depreciated on the older x-wing UCS but what I meant was there was no collapse in pricing.  IMO the newer x-wing is much better looking and functioning model which can be had for 1/4 of the price, yet the older one still held up pretty good.  If the price of the older one plummeted to $300 lets say, then I would have some serious concerns but was not the case.

What is ironic about this whole thing is that the often maligned "Prequel Trilogy" STAR WARS movies might become the most valuable LEGO sets because these sets might never be remade to any large degree.  Sure, there will be some sets never remade and they will benefit, but on the whole, the appreciation of the sets in the UCS will be stunted or reduced.  

Totally agree.

• 3 weeks later...

So after checking the latest leaked images for the 2016 sets, I am feeling a little bit underwhelmed.

In fact after I looked at carbon freezing chamber and Hoth attack, & I went "meh"

So if the rumoured UCS re issuse of the Snowspeeder is true will this be the only UCS set for 2016?

If so I'm going to start to shy away from playsets, and just purchase UCS sets.

How do you all feel?

Edited by NZ-EUG
spelling

So after checking the latest leaked images for the 2016 sets, I am feeling a little bit underwhelmed.

In fact after I looked at carbon freezing chamber and Hoth attack, & I went "meh"

So if the rumoured UCS re issuse of the Snowspeeder is true will this be the only UCS set for 2016?

If so I'm going to start to shy away from playsets, and just purchase UCS sets.

How do you all feel?

The big Hoth set is still to be announced and it seems there will be at least one other large scale TFA (UCS or play) set for 2016. And don´t forget the new version of the DS!

No new SW UCS have been announced yet. So I agree with valenciaeric that probable the Hoth set will be announced.

And don't forget the new version of the DS! ;-)

hmmm how true is the new DS rumour? what form will it take? playset or UCS?

TLG seem to be punnishing the UCS collector the last few years, devaluing the secondary market with re issuses.

They may as well just reboot the MF and ISD if a new UCS DS is on the horizon.

"that's no moon, thats a lego deathstar reboot"

Edited by NZ-EUG

hmmm how true is the new DS rumour? what form will it take? playset or UCS?

TLG seem to be punnishing the UCS collector the last few years, devaluing the secondary market with re issuses.

They may as well just reboot the MF and ISD if a new UCS DS is on the horizon.

"that's no moon, thats a lego deathstar reboot"

Reissues in the STAR WARS theme have been the status quo forever. A reissue of a UCS set every ten years or so is not punishing the secondary market in my opinion, quite the contrary, it is giving people the opportunity to reinvest all over again. Sure, can it hurt the value of the old set...yes, but I think after 10 years or so an investor could have made enough profits on the old one to make it acceptable...and worthwhile.

• Like 1

But with the all reboots, its taking the exclusive and ulimate out of the label, sure its good the for the new to lego causal fan to buy new, instead of old classic sets.

But I think this is bad for the collector, who likes to display all there UCS sets.

Edited by NZ-EUG