The Brick Show...opinions?

GiliusThunderhead

Wait aren't you Jason?  

:question: Not him :P

nazE7.jpg

Wait aren't you Jason?  Well since we know they are members here or at least lurkers it would be nice if I got a shout out in the next video ;)  I like their videos as they are entertaining, and if I was a parent deciding if I was going to buy an expensive set for my child, which I am not, I would think they would be invaluable as that seems to be the focus of their reviews.  Stephen seems to have an obsession with the amount of mini figs a set has and I still can't believe he tossed that Sea Cow box in the ocean. Jason could use some coffee and a shave at times, come on man this is the internet. Do you think that will lure them out ;)

I find Jangs reviews more focused to me as an AFOL and usually end up learning something from watching them. I hate when people leave rude comments on his reviews as he is taking his time to be helpful. 

I can see parents liking the brickshow for the reasons you stated.  I think Jason is going for the "overworked dad" look to identify with the dads in the audience ;)

I agree with you on Jangs' reviews as well

• Like 1

on on topic I do like the brick show reviews, just wish they would script out their shows before recording. They stumble and say umm, well, uh way too much. They need a bit of polish.

it's interesting you say that because I prefer the BrickShow to Jang's reviews specifically because I feel like I'm listening to a buddy talk Lego.  I think Jang does some great reviews, but you rarely (if ever) see Jang himself, which slightly dehumanizes the review to me.  There's something grounding about seeing the narrator, and Stephen and Jason do a nice job of keeping some humor and lightheartedness in their reviews.  

I also think Jang feels the need to find at least one thing wrong with every set, so some of the critiques are a little nitpicky.

That said, they both do a great job on the whole and I enjoy both.

I think The Brickshow does a good job and are generally a cut above pretty much all the other YouTube reviews with the exception of Jangbricks.  To be honest pretty much all the other reveiwers are either boring, poor quality, or just plain annoying in style.  I think the Brickshow stood out right away as something better and they seem to try to improve all the time to keep things interesting.  Jason lives in my area and I ran into him at our local Toys R Us.  He was pretty nice and stopped to say high and chat a little.  Both of the brothers are family men and overall good guys.

I enjoy both Brickshow and Jangbricks for different reasons. I think they both fill their own niche and offer something different and I would actually recommend both be subscribed to.   

My one critique for Jang would be that I wish he would discuss price in his reviews.  He says his reasons are because the price varies depending on where you buy it or what country, but I think its important to at least mention MSRP and discuss price per piece more.

There's no need everybody in the world looks like a Wall Street banker. Interesting to have to point that out in a nerd forum...

I think the way you edited my response:

Jason could use some coffee and a shave at times, come on man this is the internet. Do you think that will lure them out ;) 

Shows you may have missed my point it was a joke attempting to get him to respond. 

I think the way you edited my response:

Jason could use some coffee and a shave at times, come on man this is the internet. Do you think that will lure them out ;) 

Shows you may have missed my point it was a joke attempting to get him to respond. 

First of all I didn't get what you mean by "lure them out" - whom and why? Maybe then I would have understood the joke. Secondly, how can it be a joke if you want him to respond? A joke cannot be responded to, so I think you pretty much meant what you wrote hence I quoted you correctly.

Edited by rfish
change

No brickqueen love? We even have Jurassic World Lego now...

on on topic I do like the brick show reviews, just wish they would script out their shows before recording. They stumble and say umm, well, uh way too much. They need a bit of polish.

Yeah I totally forgot... somehow she isn't that popular... but I watched some of her videos and liked them! ;-)

So Go BRICKQUEEN Go! ;-)

I just have the feeling that jangbricks and the brickshow guys are more up to date in a "we have the connections to get sets before others do" way.

I really enjoy the Brickshow, and it is my go to for watching videos.  I like that they are nerdy...cause so am I.  They make the video seem just like a guy really looking at and talking about the set.

My only piece of advice would be that they should give more low scores, or assign some meaning to the scores they give. (ie...9-10 is go out and buy this now...7-8 is definitely a buy, but maybe wait till you get a deal...5-6 is if it's your thing, pick it up..) so on.

• Like 1

Yeah I totally forgot... somehow she isn't that popular... but I watched some of her videos and liked them! ;-)

So Go BRICKQUEEN Go! ;-)

I just have the feeling that jangbricks and the brickshow guys are more up to date in a "we have the connections to get sets before others do" way.

Lol and here I thought she was done reviewing LEGO forever after the whole CUUSOO debacle :D

Here's a little snippet from another site as to the events regarding BQ and CUUSOO..

This is a list of events what went down and is the best we will get without Cuusoo making an official statement.

• Brick Queen posted two Jurassic Park entries on Cuusoo and she getting a lot of support for that
  • two other members also posted Jurassic Park entries on Cuusoo, with entries partially similar to those of Brick Queen
  • Brick Queen was very upset because of that and she and some of her followers started accusing those other two of plagiarism and stealing attention
  • in course of heated up action on the comments section Brick Queen opened several other accounts on Cuusoo and started using them for insults and and accusations
  • Cuusoo admins noted that and banned her account and removed all her Cuusoo entries
  • Brick Queen posted "crying" video and she and some of her followers started campaign over several AFOL sites to make her look the victim. 

Not commenting on the accuracy of said events, just posting the summary.

Edited by gregpj
  • Like 1

My only piece of advice would be that they should give more low scores, or assign some meaning to the scores they give. (ie...9-10 is go out and buy this now...7-8 is definitely a buy, but maybe wait till you get a deal...5-6 is if it's your thing, pick it up..) so on.

It has been a while since I watched their videos (think green box Ninjago sets), but at least in the past they gave reasons for their scores, usually price per brick or number of minifigs.

However, I could understand why those ratings became less and less important due to this: ;)

One last thing I have noticed is that ever since Lego began sending the Brick Show sets for review they seems far less "critical" of things - I don't blame them, I would prob do the same if I was getting things a month early and free too.  I guess I just miss when Stephen or Jason would emphasize that a certain set cost "waaaaaaaay" to much or would address Lego in their reviews and say "you gotta bring/do/change this...."  Most recent example was Minecraft Nether Fortress - in the past I feel like they would have mentioned the price per piece being really high, etc.

but overall I love their channel and watch daily.

it's always a bit difficult to understand what they're saying.

I can understand them fine. See I can quote you out of context as well. 

If you didn't get what I meant then why pass judgement on it. Thank you for explaining what a joke is and for telling me what I meant. Clearly you are out of the loop on this one please move along with your pedantic verbose replies. 

The Brick Show guys are 'your average joes' (that also are a couple of fathers if I am not mistaken) who review LEGO and for that I enjoy them over another reviewer whom would come across as a paid infomercial or some salesman. The 'growl' is a signature of their channel and overall attitude. If I had anything to complain over it would be the long lengths in some of their video segments which can go on for a while.

For myself I tend to watch JANGBRiCKS because his reviews seem more to the point (aka short), he has pointed out some pieces of interest (rarely used color or part type), and his calm tone works well. Rarely have I watched any of his clips where he said anything was terrible really. Sometimes he makes suggestions that may have worked better but then reiterates he can see why they (the LEGO designers) did what they had.

There really isn't a 'one is better than the other' speech here. It all is merely a matter of personal preference and everyone has theirs.

• Like 2

Jangbricks is the better reviewer, but I'm sort of tired of the format that both he and TBS tend to stick with.  Put it this way, they feel like they are competing with each other with whom can do the most reviews and get the most views.  That's annoying.  There are better reviews of specific sets out there but you have to dig a little more for them. 

Jangbricks is the better reviewer, but I'm sort of tired of the format that both he and TBS tend to stick with.  Put it this way, they feel like they are competing with each other with whom can do the most reviews and get the most views.  That's annoying.  There are better reviews of specific sets out there but you have to dig a little more for them. 

I alwayys thought Jang and TBS have quit different formats other the one thing in common, reviewing lego sets.

I think they are competing with hundreds upon hundreds (if not thousands) reviewers (and other contents) on Youtube, not specifically with each other.  They have to keep up with the rest of Youtubers to stay relevant (meaning viewers would not need to dig to find their contents ;) ).

I actually preferred Brickformula for his speedbuilds.  However, he stopped posting so I had to dig through oodles of contents just to remind myself what his Youtube id was :)