The Brick Show...opinions?

GiliusThunderhead

No idea what forum to post this in (or even if im allowed to given its on a topic of a different brick review media) and I cant seem to find an answer to my question here already.

Whats the general opinion on the Brick Show (the youtube guys)?  Personally I really like watching there reviews. When looking at sets I want one of the first places I check out is there review.  Wondered if they're universally "loved" as much as I think they should be?  Or do people not really pay much attention to them so its just each unto their own? :)

Also given they're massive 1989 batman fans as well that a definite plus in my book and they actually come across really well as people too.

To be fair I've just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LHUyi1PRUY

From Aug 2014 and they say DS will go in Q1 2016 (and if you wait till the end he's pretty confident it WILL, no might retire by end of Q1 2016).  I'm willing to give these guys the full benefit of the doubt that they're not wrong  yet :)

Glad to hear there's more love for there videos and its not just me.

Edited by Lego_Yoda

For me that vid is taken down.  Typical procedure though.  Make a statement and when it doesnt pan out remove all evidence you ever made the statement :)

Personally, I like Jangbricks' reviews better as I think his reviews are more technical, comprehensive,  and better articulated. 

havent watched any of Jangbricks (but i always see them in the similar content box).  Will  check one out (but i think my "customer" loyalty is already cemented in).

I absolutely agree. They clearly have many, many followers. Yes, the video has been removed. I also agree that the DS will be gone before Q1 2016. I think it'll be gone before Christmas this year. Because I believe there is a replacement for May 4th. I have no problem being wrong. I'm not making statements, just opinions...

I watched a few of their videos in the past.  I found their catchphrase (when they growl the words "THE BRICKSHOW") rather off putting. Perhaps that sounded cool in the ears of 8-12 year olds (their main demographic), but just not my thing :D  Also, in some videos you could tell they were just dead tired when making the videos.  I preferred Jangbricks since his videos looked and sounded "professional" 

• Like 2

I really enjoy the Brick Show for their humor and enthusiasm about certain themes like Star Wars and have been enjoying their videos for several years now.  However, as another member mentioned above I usually go to Jangbricks review's for a more comprehensive and technical review.  

One last thing I have noticed is that ever since Lego began sending the Brick Show sets for review they seems far less "critical" of things - I don't blame them, I would prob do the same if I was getting things a month early and free too.  I guess I just miss when Stephen or Jason would emphasize that a certain set cost "waaaaaaaay" to much or would address Lego in their reviews and say "you gotta bring/do/change this...."  Most recent example was Minecraft Nether Fortress - in the past I feel like they would have mentioned the price per piece being really high, etc.

but overall I love their channel and watch daily.

Edited by runormal

One last thing I have noticed is that ever since Lego began sending the Brick Show sets for review they seems far less "critical" of things - I don't blame them, I would prob do the same if I was getting things a month early and free too.  I guess I just miss when Stephen or Jason would emphasize that a certain set cost "waaaaaaaay" to much or would address Lego in their reviews and say "you gotta bring/do/change this...."  Most recent example was Minecraft Nether Fortress - in the past I feel like they would have mentioned the price per piece being really high, etc.

Hysterical! Yes, I can attest, perks have a funny way of muddying the waters...

My son got hooked on their show and I started watching.  They helped propel me out of the dark ages.  Their reviews are fun, entertaining, and informative.  My son's vocabulary actually improved from the show because Jason and Stephen present the sets to a wide audience and don't talk to the camera like children.  I appreciate that.  My son actually knew what translucent and torso meant before he turned 4 thanks to the Brickshow :)

I highly recommended this show for anyone with kids into LEGO.  Adults will enjoy it too.

• Like 2

I like many videos of the brickshow guys and regularly check for new ones.

The growling really can be annoying sometimes but I guess there's always something ;-)

Comparing the brickshow to jangbricks I guess most of the time I prefer jangs reviews (never try out his non-lego reviews! I mean I really like his LEGO reviews but his other reviews annoyed me that much! maybe because he made such a good impression on me with his lego reviews ;-) ).

Sometimes the brickshow is first with new sets, sometimes jang is first, sometimes the brickshow has got the better review but most of the time jang gives a better articulated opinion.

I like The Brick Show and the two brothers mostly because they are informative, entertaining and yet down to earth - so quite the oppostie to all those pain-in-the-neck young/hip YouTubers whose affected behaviour is only surpassed by the insignificance of their words. Well, the Brick Show Borthers never rate a set worse than 7 out of 10, but I don't care since I simply accept "how it goes" and I can as well rate a set on my own. Their trademark growling doesn't annoy me at all, but I wish the music at the end of their videos would not get louder and louder while they are still speaking, because it's always a bit difficult to understand what they're saying. Jason and Stephen are absolutely likeable guys and I wish them all the best with their channel. Personally I would like them to be even more subjective in their analyses. I also like Jangbricks on the other hand. It just really depends on what you are looking for in a certain video. For me, The Brick Show and Jangbricks can coexist very well.

Edited by rfish

I watched a few of their videos in the past.  I found their catchphrase (when they growl the words "THE BRICKSHOW") rather off putting. Perhaps that sounded cool in the ears of 8-12 year olds (their main demographic), but just not my thing :D  Also, in some videos you could tell they were just dead tired when making the videos.  I preferred Jangbricks since his videos looked and sounded "professional" 

Wait aren't you Jason?  Well since we know they are members here or at least lurkers it would be nice if I got a shout out in the next video ;)  I like their videos as they are entertaining, and if I was a parent deciding if I was going to buy an expensive set for my child, which I am not, I would think they would be invaluable as that seems to be the focus of their reviews.  Stephen seems to have an obsession with the amount of mini figs a set has and I still can't believe he tossed that Sea Cow box in the ocean. Jason could use some coffee and a shave at times, come on man this is the internet. Do you think that will lure them out ;)

I find Jangs reviews more focused to me as an AFOL and usually end up learning something from watching them. I hate when people leave rude comments on his reviews as he is taking his time to be helpful. 

• Like 1