Architecture 2016

3 hours ago, Seal Cutter said:

New BK already looking like a bit of a dud to me. And if you don't want the new taller better BK, i see no reason anyone barring an absolute completist would now want the orginal BK

New is taller, but not better. To be honest, old BK represents the staples of the building better. It was designed when Architecture series was meant to represent buildings' architecture aspects, not just doing mini Creator landmarks. I still say that LEGO should rename the series to Landmarks because Architecture is gone from it... Although I concur that it is probably more profitable this way.

• 2 weeks later...
On January 9, 2016 at 9:04 AM, dinner41 said:

Indeed. The old was caught by the new one just as it was about to get interesting price-wise. Sad.

(Or: well played, LEGO)

I was selling BK's around 90 to 100.00 from a 18.00 buy-in, thanks to BAM and B&N.  But, over the holidays I think only one sold on amazon, because there was only one shift in resellers the entire time.  I've basically given up on them for now..

With that said, i'm really interested to see the US Capitol Building.  I just don't know how they could pull that one off as a smaller set, priced from 50 to 80.00. I'm really hoping they don't go the cheap route, and instead make it a 129.99 or 199.99 set.  We are due for a 129.99 architecture set.  Please please please!  I think the US Capitol, and the Kremlin both deserve a set that is more in line with a build like the Robie House..  Buckingham palace could be pulled off like the Louvre or White House, but the Capitol building deserves a larger set.

Edited by fossilrock

2 hours ago, fossilrock said:

With that said, i'm really interested to see the US Capitol Building.  I just don't know how they could pull that one off as a smaller set, priced from 50 to 80.00. I'm really hoping they don't go the cheap route, and instead make it a 129.99 or 199.99 set.  We are due for a 129.99 architecture set.  Please please please!  I think the US Capitol, and the Kremlin both deserve a set that is more in line with a build like the Robie House..  Buckingham palace could be pulled off like the Louvre or White House, but the Capitol building deserves a larger set.

Capitol would be an interesting set. I can see how they might do most of the "straight" bits on the front, but the curved top would be potentially challenging. Do we see a brick built dome structure like Taj Mahal? I hope not! Part of the set size would depend on how "wide" they go with respect to the real thing. The Louvre as depicted in Lego is only the central part of the larger building, so maybe the same could be true here.

I think the trade off between a bigger US set like Capitol building would be the fact that we're supposed to be getting a large (non-architecture theme...) Big Ben to satisfy this side of the Atlantic.

33 minutes ago, Seal Cutter said:

Capitol would be an interesting set. I can see how they might do most of the "straight" bits on the front, but the curved top would be potentially challenging. Do we see a brick built dome structure like Taj Mahal? I hope not! Part of the set size would depend on how "wide" they go with respect to the real thing. The Louvre as depicted in Lego is only the central part of the larger building, so maybe the same could be true here.

I think the trade off between a bigger US set like Capitol building would be the fact that we're supposed to be getting a large (non-architecture theme...) Big Ben to satisfy this side of the Atlantic.

I hope they do it right and it's not done like the Louvre.  That's why i'm hoping its a 129.99 set, in the same scale as the White House/UN building.  

Hoping.. not saying it will go that way, though.

On 09/01/2016 at 1:09 AM, Seal Cutter said:

If you have the money for only one to build, i can't see anyone buying new BK over NYC

BK is the tallest building in the world, and likely will remain so for many year to come. Also in NYC set, i would say only the empire state building looks good, the rest are a bit of letdown. There will be people who prefer standalone flatiron and empire state buildings found in earlier sets.

11 hours ago, Seal Cutter said:

Buckingham Palace looks similar to the Louvre, in that both are actually bigger, but the designer has interpreted that brick size vs. Price point makes a smaller segment better

If you want Big Ben plus Houses of Parliament, take the existing little Big Ben & get MOCing!

Probably the really large sets are reserved for creator expert series. Though i wonder why do buckingham palace? I dont quite see the architectural significance of this building.

• Like 2

I do have to say I was starting to wonder about the higher dollar architecture sets.  It's been a couple of years, and with the few releases of late, and all small ones, I thought they may have abandoned that idea.  I guess I was wrong.  My wife loves the architecture series, and both of these buildings are going to have to be day one buys for her.

I especially love the scale of the capitol building.  Fantastic looking model.  I bet it's impressive in person.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Yeah, not only did they release more "normal" Arch sets than previously, they also introduced a new line of skyline sets.

The skyline sets probably for 2017 are Sydney/Chicago/London in that model number order, so it's maybe likely that Sydney is the $30 set, London is a $60 set and who knows about Chicago.